Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 Week after 577 WILD ONES installed problems have developed with my cables.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 1 Week after 577 WILD ONES installed problems have developed with my cables.

Well today when I parked my bike and was locking the fork I noticed the Clutch cable was pinched. When I got it free I noticed the outer coating was cut.These are my brand new Magnum black pearl cables.It seems the fellow I had install them got the clutch cable tangled with what I believe is the wiring for my spot lights.If I turn my bars to the right it puts to much pressure on my spot light wiring because the wires are in a bind with each other.My question is do you think I can disconnect the clutch cable from the tranny and then pull it up and get free from the spot light wiring and then reconnect it. I'm thinking I might need to zip tie the clutch cable at some point so it doesn't work it's way back to the pinch point.I forgot to mention I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and the clutch cable is a +6 which is what Wild Ones recommended with their 12 1/2 inch Apes.Another question is it normal to feel movement in the bars if you push on them gently.I'm not talking about slipping in the clamp area but rather seeing the upper part of the bars move,almost what I would consider flexing. Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
07DDreamHD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you will notice some flexing in the bars. The clutch cable should be routed from the tranny, along the lower frame, then between the down tubes at the bottom, then between the engine guard and the down tube on the left side (hope this is clear enough to understand), then into the fairing. If it is not routed this way, you will pinch the clutch cable between the downtube and the lower triple tree.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would disconnect the clutch cable from the handlebar. A lot easier to remove a clip and pin from the lever than to remove the cable from the tranny. The bushings the handlebar clamp is bolted to are rubber. If you want to reduce the flex you need to install poly bushings.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the response from both of you. I thought about disconnecting from the handlebar but thought in order to go that route I would also have to take the outer fairing off is that not correct? It looks to me like he ran the cable over the lower triple tree instead of under it, does that make sense? You also mentioned Poly bushings and yes I did install them.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Vile Lou
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 16" wild ones on my fat boy. They flexed when I needed new bushings in the risers.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 PM
bks
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
Thanks for the response from both of you. I thought about disconnecting from the handlebar but thought in order to go that route I would also have to take the outer fairing off is that not correct? It looks to me like he ran the cable over the lower triple tree instead of under it, does that make sense? You also mentioned Poly bushings and yes I did install them.
I would rather pull the outer fairing than the transmission cover.