Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Wheel Woes (Southern Motorcycle Works Review)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Wheel Woes (Southern Motorcycle Works Review)

earlier this year i put a Southern Motorcycle Works Black Sabbath Elite 21" front wheel
i was running a stock 18" off a 2011, so when i ordered the wheel i ordered a wheel for a 2011 since i already had the axel and spacers for a 20111 already in the bike.

when i got the wheel after 2 months it didnt fit. i had to send it back and they put a different hub in it, that took about 2 weeks..

get the wheel back and it fit, sweet... but i was out $60 to ship it back to them

they did however send me matching rotors for free to compensate for the mistake, which i no longer use since i went to brembo brakes upfront.

after a while having a nice 21" wheel up front and a stock wheel out back got to me.

so i call them up to order a matching rear wheel
ordered a 18 x 4.25" rear wheel (thats what most of the guys on the forum run when going to a custom wheel)
stock on my bike is a 16 x 3.5" wheel. i discussed with him that i wanted to go to that wider wheel cause i wanted that wider wheel look, and the 150 70 18 would fit nicer on that wider wheel.

this time it only took 2 and a half weeks to get the wheel, which is pretty quick since they cut there wheels upon order.

mount my tire, throw it up on the bike and it just plain doesnt work.. pulley hits the swing arm, or if i move it over the other way rotor binds in the caliper.

call randy and ask him what the deal may be. he offered to swap me wheels out, send the 4.25" wide wheel back and he would send me a 18x 3.5"
i still wanted to keep the 4.25" wide wheel so..

at my wits end i take it to a local custom bike shop, maybe i was doing something wrong. they have the bike no more than and hour and give me a call. they say the hub on the pulley side is to big.

i call randy at Southern Motorcycle, he said that what he sent me should have worked for the application i was doing. i call the shop back and get measurements, etc. they told me i need a 3" hub and whats on there is a 3 1/4" hub which is making the pulley hit the swing arm. and the belt to tire clearance is over a half inch. so i got room to come in with the pulley.

call randy back and he agrees to send me the new hub. which is 2.91"

one way or another the hub that was sent in the wheel just wouldnt work for me
so instead of getting a set of wheels i could just bolt on, i get a freaking mess.

the shop is gonna charge me 2 hours which is about $150 plus parts.. which is custom spacers, new pulley bolts and rotor bolts (because Randy forgot to mention when i ordered, that i couldnt use the stock bolts, and didnt send any bolts with it either)

The wheels are very good quality, and i love the design, one of the biggest reason i ordered from them.

Randy has tried to help me out to get my situation straight, i guess i just wish that i could have ordered once and everything would have bolted up without issue.

Last edited by Hoblick; 10-21-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

might be the reason they are cheaper then pm and others

Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leohd
might be the reason they are cheaper then pm and others
they wont be for much longer, they just raised the price of there wheels $100 per wheel

and said they will be going up again

Old 10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
vduzin12
Cruiser

I just bought your same set up 23/18 though. Bike is still under surgery so I have 0 miles on them. I had a pretty simple transaction with them. I did notice that they seem to cater more towards choppers though. By the way your bike looks good with them.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vduzin12
I just bought your same set up 23/18 though. Bike is still under surgery so I have 0 miles on them. I had a pretty simple transaction with them. I did notice that they seem to cater more towards choppers though. By the way your bike looks good with them.
you may fair better off than me.. seems like the only other person i know who has a set of wheels from them had an 09 up bike and they did a 18" rear.. stock width though.. and they had no issues.

must just be something with the older bikes and trying to go wider.. i dunno.

like i said i love the wheels, they look great, and are really great quality.
and Randy has tried to accomodate me some. but i just wish it was a bolt on and go deal like every other wheel manufacturer.

and i agree they do cater more in the chopper direction

Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain

only cool thing out of the whole experience is the shop im dealing with.. sinners and saints choppers, are pretty damn good guys so far.
called me as soon as they found out what the deal was, and trying to help me as much as possible to get this wheel to fit. which is good , cause i really wanted the wider wheel in the back.

also im gonna have them paint my inner fairing here in a few months. only gonna charge me $200!!

they do some killer paint jobs

Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
swaite
Road Captain

I just got a wheel set from smw and they fit like a glove. I would say the problem lies in using a 4.25 rear wheel, with a 160 rear tire on a pre09 bike 3.5 would be a better fit

Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain

Im running a 150/70/18 avon
But yeah i think the 4.25" wide rim on pre 09 bike is the issue as well

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set from them and have to say I'm 100 % happy with the transaction and the quality of the wheels.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Sonic69
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also had a good experience with them.

Quick Reply: Custom Wheel Woes (Southern Motorcycle Works Review)