Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust the speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Ham____
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read you answer

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
Adjusting the speedo is easy, you just poke you finder in there and run it around the waist band. Don't get caught wearing them in public. Hope that helps.
Read your answer and I am still laughing---too good!!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 PM
balcy24
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceFace
Yeah, I had to read it 3 times to realize he meant FINGER!! LOL!!! I'm slooooow tonight!
If it is cold enough outside, he may have meant finder!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,017 Likes on 18,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
Adjusting the speedo is easy, you just poke you finger in there and run it around the waist band. Don't get caught wearing them in public. Hope that helps.
I just spit my beer all over the damn screen !!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:59 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

faster is better.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone already pointed out, changing your cams does not effect the speedometer. Additionally, vehicle manufacturers (both auto and motorcycle) intentionally calibrate their speedometers from the factory to read higher than actually (some more than others). It's a liability issue. If you were to get a speeding ticket because the speedometer was reading too low, then you could take the manufacturer to court and say it was their fault.

ANYWAY, if you find it bothersome, you can installed a speedometer calibration kit. After my six-speed gear set install, my speedometer read about 15 mph low. My local HD dealership install a SIM-1 kit from Dakota Digital (which someone already mentioned):

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat115.htm

Now, here's the rub. The way you calibrate it is, after install, you follow someone down the road who is going a steady speed and use the up and down arrows on the SIM-1 to calibrate your speedometer while it is in motion. However, since the vehicle you're following has a speedometer that's been calibrated to read higher than actual, you probably aren't going to notice a difference between it's speed and your own.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
T_om
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Now, here's the rub. The way you calibrate it is, after install, you follow someone down the road who is going a steady speed and use the up and down arrows on the SIM-1 to calibrate your speedometer while it is in motion. However, since the vehicle you're following has a speedometer that's been calibrated to read higher than actual, you probably aren't going to notice a difference between it's speed and your own.

Hope this helps.
If the other bike is using a GPS instead of the Harley "Guesstometer", you will be spot on. I would never trust another bike's speedometer.

Tom

Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T_om
If the other bike is using a GPS instead of the Harley "Guesstometer", you will be spot on. I would never trust another bike's speedometer.

Tom
Good call. But, it depends on the update rate for the speed indication on the GPS. If the GPS updates the speed every second or every couple of seconds it could be used. My Garmin (which is an older one) doesn't seem to update the speed frequently enough to be used for a calibration. I suppose if I found a long flat stretch of road, set the cruise control on the vehicle with GPS, and got a couple of consecutive speed updates that were the same it could be used as a standard for calibration.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I posted a chart back in post # 6. Find a flat stretch of state highway and use the mile markers. Hold your speed steady, and time yourself between markers, and compare to the chart. Adjust accordingly. You can double check your settings when you come across one of those electronic signs that tells you your speed.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My TTS Mastertune lets me change the speedometer calibration. Mine is exactly on with my GPS.