Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing with great results

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 PM
noserider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g money
I've tried the scratch x on black bikes before. Makes me a little nervous. It seems a little heavy. Sometimes it even added to the scratches. Looked like a million small swirls. Followed it up with Meguiars ultimate polish. I like the polish best.
It seems like Harley bikes of late, especially black, have really soft paint and/or clear.
Gary D.
When I use scratch x on a scratch I try to keep the rubbing very refined to the scratch to minimize abrasion in an area that does not need the product. For me it's trading a visible scratch that can look really nasty with what you describe as a swirl that can then be filled with polish and wax making it all disappear. I have had good luck with this product. Many times a scratch in the clearcoat can look like it has also scratched into the paint and applying the scratch x makes it disappear.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
noserider
Advanced

Few pics today with cell phone. Looks great in sunlight! I need to put some of the harley tire black on where the mag polish got on my tires but very happy. Oh and thats my lab of course.

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/a...erider/harley/

Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noserider
Few pics today with cell phone. Looks great in sunlight! I need to put some of the harley tire black on where the mag polish got on my tires but very happy. Oh and thats my lab of course.

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/a...erider/harley/
Looks great! But I wonder at "several days at 3-4 hours a day" of effort.

Anyone ever heard of "Captain Richards" BOM? I've heard great things about their cleaning products, as well as the "minutes" (not hours) it takes to clean a bike. Thinking about giving them a try.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
noserider
Advanced

Originally Posted by dynawideglider

Anyone ever heard of "Captain Richards" BOM? I've heard great things about their cleaning products, as well as the "minutes" (not hours) it takes to clean a bike. Thinking about giving them a try.
The wet sanding took the better part of a day for the mag wheel. I also spent quite a bit of time removing and installing the exhaust system and then removing rust from the pipes and other areas of the bike's chrome. The engine was spray on spray off. The paint needed a repair in my opinion to remove some of the swirls and scratches. There is no spray on and spray off that will do that for you. Now that the bike has been brought back to life cosmetically, the spray on and spray off magic formulas should work great. I don't expect to have to ever do this type of a cleaning again and if i do it should be years away.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work. I'm doing the same thing with my front fork lower tubes. Then I found a local shop that do the forks for $80. or they will trade your stock lower sliders for a pair of Chromed one for about a buck eighty. See attached Ebay listing:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Touri...#ht_2064wt_881

Check out the wheels:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Touri...#ht_1640wt_754

Old 11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dynawideglider

I have tried many, many products and I have found that there is no miracle product that will do the same job as elbow grease. When clear coat gets swirled up, the steps that the OP took is the best cure.