Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Road King Adjustable Backrest Install Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Shadew
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Road King Adjustable Backrest Install Pictures

There may be a thousand how-to's on this subject, but if anyone had an ajustable backrest show up under the tree, here is how I did it. It took me 1 1/2 hours to do the install and take the pictures, with only the supplied instructions which were a little unclear to me. I hope it helps someone.

Remove seat fastener and seat.

Remove saddlebag and side cover.

Remove flare nuts. (Mine were 7/16" wrench size.)

Pull the plastic retainer that holds the cruise control cable and install the bracket and supplied clip into that hole. Note: The hole on my bike was too close to the frame to use the supplied 1/4" bolt, but a regular bolt fit just fine.

Route the cable through the bracket and up behind the battery box as shown in next picture. Mount switch into the bracket.

Install speed nut into hole on back of the battery box. Place mechanism over the studs on the fender and start the supplied bolt into speed nut, (3/8" wrench size). Install the supplied washers and locknuts onto the fender studs. Attach the end of the cable onto the the mechanism and zip tie to the shaft.

Put the seat back on temporarily to get a look at where the seat protector needs to go. Remove the seat, turn it over, remove the sticky backing protector, and press it onto the seat just like a scratch and sniff. Install the seat, side cover, and saddlebag.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed this same backrest on my 02 Road King Classic on X-Mas day and from what I saw the bracket that holds the adjustor switch only has one bolt mounting it to the bike's frame. Was your's the same way? Seems like it'd move around some without having a second bolt to hold it in place.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Shadew
Advanced

I believe it only has one bolt, but was not the one supplied by the kit, and a teat that went in another hole. I will look it over again and get back to you, but it does not move around at all.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Shadew
Advanced

Just a follow up, I confirmed that there is only one bolt and a tab that holds the control bracket to the frame. It is very secure, I hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadew
Just a follow up, I confirmed that there is only one bolt and a tab that holds the control bracket to the frame. It is very secure, I hope this helps.
Huh... on mine there is the tab that goes in the big hole in the frame where the cruise control wire feeds through and then one bolt through the frame plate. Mine still moves slightly as the tab doesn't really rest against anything. Do you have a picture of your's from underneath, how it mounts?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Shadew
Advanced

I will take one or more for you this evening.