Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider's Backrest Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 AM
BcDog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rider's Backrest Install

Just purchased the Rider's backrest for my R.G. The instructions that came with it are vague at best. In fact I'm not sure if the install instructions were even included, perhaps to chase you back to your dealer for "professional installation". Anyone on here have pics of the install etc. Although I'm not the worst wrench ( I think I can handle this one) I'd appreciate any tips/tricks or advice.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 AM
tackleberry1145
Advanced
Default RE: Rider's Backrest Install

Best thing to do is take your time.

I can probably help ya out a bit if you have the adjustable backrest..email me if you do.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well no camera today but.
Remove seat stand on right side of bike look down at battery.
In middle of the steel cross member that supports the battery on the back lip (which is vertical) is a hole about 5/16" diameter.
In your kit is a small speed clip, slide it over this hole with the thread on the back side (toward the fender).
Small metal strip with bend in it. One end has one hole. take the short bolt and mount strip to the speed nut. THe longer end should face back towards fender. (leave loose for now)
The other big metal piece is the frog.
The fron of this had a metal tang facing forward and this mounts to the piece you just did.
Use the brass colored bolt and nut. There are numerous holes so you can slide the frog forward and back to get the right position for you.
On bottom of frog either side is tangs with multiple holes (same for adjusting)
Set frog on the fender with metal tang on front aligned with metal stip you just did.
This spot on spender will have either: two holes (blocked or with well nuts, or just two holes) or two studs sticking up (If you have passenger grab handles you will have the studs) . remove nuts from studs (leave the large white plastic washers). Put frog down on the studs, use the nuts to hold. PUt seat on and backrest try for comfort. If good remove seat and tighten every thing, if not slide frog forward or back as needed and tighten down and replace seat.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I just put one on the wife's Street Glide and had no problems. You have to get past the instructions for all the older model bikes. The instructions by "choochoo" about should have it on adjusted and ready to go in about an hour.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
choochoo
Banned

yeah but I really need to proof read my spelling
spender should be FENDER.
My eyes and fingers don't work together sometimes.
Tried magnifying glasses, but couldn't keep them connected to the fingers.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
BcDog
Tourer

Thanks choochoo, I'll print these off and give it a go. Ya gotta love this forum!!

Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 PM
choochoo
Banned

if you don't have the studs in the fender or the well nuts you have a couple options.
one: go to a good hardware store and get a couple goof rubber well nuts that will fit the holes in the fenders and screws and washers to match. These screws will be smaller diameter than the bolts with kit and the holes in frog, but will still hold it tight.
Because when you lean back you're pushing down on fender not pulling up.

Or you can take a bolt of right length and a flat washer and insert it up into fender.
Use a sink faucett repair washer on the bolt sticking up through the fender (run it down tight). then put frog on and use nut and washer.
The sink washer will do two things. Stop marring of fender paint and stop the bolt from dropping down and ruining tire if the nut should work loose.

My rear seat holddown clip came loose couple times in past then lost the little well nut.
(about $6.95).
so did this with my seat hold down. Also easier to use a wobbly socket or rachet wrench on the nut than getting a phillips screw driver down in between seat and trunk.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

Good thing we have a forum like this with folks willing to help each other out! Those MoCo instruction sheets usually suck. Hope your install goes smoothly....

Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed the adjustable on mine, the instructions were "lacking". I took me 1/2 hr to figure out where the little latch gets installed. Really bad picture, but it was typical for all the instructions I've gotten from MOCO. I think they would rather you went to the Dealer to install it. Part of their Dealer Support System

Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
onthedish1
Tourer

Installed one on my Road King, though the directions weren't the best, I had little problem with it. You can deduce most of it if you just take your time. I took mine and still had it done in less than an hour.

Quick Reply: Rider's Backrest Install