Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Saddlebag Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I am resurrecting this thread cause I have 2 questions. I bought a spare set of keys from the dealer last year, and they are stamped with the same code as my original keys. They don't work as smoothly on the saddlebag locks as the originals, though. I am assuming my originals (2003) are USA made and the spares made in China, cause the stamps look cheaper. Anyone know how to get spares to work better?

Today, my first day riding after winter storage even the originals were sticky. So I lubed the lock pin that rotates with turbine oil and that smoothed it out. Anyone know what is the best thing to lubricate the saddlebag locks ? Thanks. Thank you God for making it 55 degrees on March 11!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM
harfooz
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I am resurrecting this thread cause I have 2 questions. I bought a spare set of keys from the dealer last year, and they are stamped with the same code as my original keys. They don't work as smoothly on the saddlebag locks as the originals, though. I am assuming my originals (2003) are USA made and the spares made in China, cause the stamps look cheaper. Anyone know how to get spares to work better?

Today, my first day riding after winter storage even the originals were sticky. So I lubed the lock pin that rotates with turbine oil and that smoothed it out. Anyone know what is the best thing to lubricate the saddlebag locks ? Thanks. Thank you God for making it 55 degrees on March 11!
I used a silicone spray lubricant on the keys, spraying the keys and not the lock cylinders. Spray the key, insert the key, fiddle with it until it feels freed up. Lather, rinse, repeat, until the key and lock feel smooth.

In my case, I don't think the lock had ever been used at all by the previous owner -- especially since the keys were (initially) lost. The lock cylinders were very, very stiff. It took a few minutes of working with a lubricated key before it moved freely.

Hope this helps,
'fooz

Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by harfooz
I used a silicone spray lubricant on the keys, spraying the keys and not the lock cylinders. Spray the key, insert the key, fiddle with it until it feels freed up. Lather, rinse, repeat, until the key and lock feel smooth.

In my case, I don't think the lock had ever been used at all by the previous owner -- especially since the keys were (initially) lost. The lock cylinders were very, very stiff. It took a few minutes of working with a lubricated key before it moved freely.

Hope this helps,
'fooz
Thanks. I'll give that a try. The turbine oil smoothed out the lock, with my original key. I'll try the spares with some silicone spray.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
Any barrel key of the same diameter will work. Your harley key or any other harley key will work. The locks on the bag and the tank are not key speciffic.

Dennis
WRONG!! The saddlebag and tourpack require the same keyas the ignition. A blank barrel key will ONLY open the fuel cap