Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moco vs DIY.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casique
Doing it yourself, whatever it is. will save you a lot of mula, that is if you do it correctly...
+1 , i will never let the dealer touch my bike if I have a choice....

Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

stereo stuff is fun to do yourself. and you can build a system for cheaper and better then Harley sells.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do it all yourself. If you mess something up, you learn from it and it is usually still cheaper than the labor cost

Old 01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stage 1 tune - with K&N SE A/C

Bars: Let them install the Hidden wires - PIA

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
Hey guys ,listen, I've got a 2012 Street Glide coming my way end of Feb. So my question to you all is this...what upgrades and/or mods should I have Moco install, vs Mods and upgrades I can and should do myself.

I'm completely wrench capable so I'm not too worried about that. I'm just looking for ideas on which items I should invest in through moco or on my own.

For starters I've asked for Chrome fork lowers, and the upgraded speaker sound system.

Ok guys what's your opinion.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dstrat1
c and c seat, ohlins shocks, ricor intiminators, clearview shield, kuryakin fork deflectors...If I want to hear music, I do it at home, when I am riding I would rather hear the bike...JMHO.....

Hey D, which CnC seat would you recommend, im 6'4 and with my SG comin i plan on doing alot of rding 2 up.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrat1
+1 , i will never let the dealer touch my bike if I have a choice....
I'm with you there, once was enough. If I do it myself I know it was done right.

Rick

Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
Hey D, which CnC seat would you recommend, im 6'4 and with my SG comin i plan on doing alot of rding 2 up.
C&C Sport Tour. Great seat. Moves you down, back, and has a nice section for the passenger. Cant go wrong.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Um, buy the service manual- see what the procedures are and if you are comfy doing it.

I make a list of P&A ideas- then filter the list down, add things to it--I often benefit by other riders experiences with a mod that does or doesn't work out.

I sometimes buy the trim part tried and removed- cheap ( the classifieds are great here). or a part from another model that fits a need

I review my list, add, cross things off ( like the ipod kit- didn't like)

I also keep a list of stuff to do to the bike, like various projects inside the fairing, or wiring projects that require the tanks come off ( when I run the wires for the air horn, I'll run some headphone wires and some extra cabling for future use).

so that's how I approach.

My bike goes to the dealer for warranty service or break down when touring.
I've done alot of stuff to my bikes ( and cars) over the years, I have a pretty good tool kit and some ASE training.
BUT some jobs are best left to those who do it all day, every day.

to sum it up, get the book, start reading over procedures now, see what you are or are not comfortable doing.

tip: don't take off the right hand controls without shimming the brake light switch, like the manual says

and set the PIN for the alarm system--- BEFORE the battery dies in you fob or you drop it somewhere

New Ride, Nice !

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-09-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 AM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were my bike, I'd get the new seat and get rid of the CAT as soon as I could!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain

I'm completely wrench capable so I'm not too worried about that.
Not if you have ABS brakes. You're stuck having to take the bike to the stealership to have the ABS module bled properly (their "Digital Technician II" must be connected in order for the solenoids to open for the brake fluid to be flushed through it).

ABS brakes require DOT 4 brake fluid which is highly susceptible to moisture, even if the system has never been opened. Over time, your brake pedals WILL begin feeling mushy. The ONLY way to bleed them properly is the stealership. The "Digital Technician II" is not available for sale to the public.

Quick Reply: Moco vs DIY.