Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTS dyno tune clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Really? More than Power Vision? Could you list one or more of these unique capabilities? Why is it superior to SEPST or PV when all three basically do the same thing, which is to alter the tables within the ECM?
Cam selector and EGR effect tables.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Really? More than Power Vision? Could you list one or more of these unique capabilities? Why is it superior to SEPST or PV when all three basically do the same thing, which is to alter the tables within the ECM?

I just love these tuner threads.
I will be glad to help ya out there! Woulda thought you already knew,, haha,, 1-Speedometer reset, 2- Cam to injector timing, 3 - drive by wire throttle control, - 4 - EGR adjustments, 5 - Barometer adjustments, 6 - PE control tables, 7 - IAC Step adjustments, 8 - Temp. Spark adjustments,,, ect, ect, there are more, these are the first that come to mind. Hope this helps ya!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
fishn4life
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for taking time to clarify and give input.
Note to self - all employees at Indy do not specialize nor share equal knowledge on dyno tuning...
Had a chat with the owner who specializes in the tuning - he clarified and of course confirmed what all of you shared. New TTS = $425 Dyno Tune = $400 Total = $825+
I could not have been more clear when I explained this to the shop the 1st time. Glad I clarified before i gave the green light...

He did say he prefers TTS but will get me a dyno I'll be happy with using my PC3...
$400 here, $500 there, $600, $225, $360, when does the madness stop????

I'm going on record here - After the $400 dyno tune I'm officially done!

Last edited by fishn4life; 03-23-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishn4life
After the $400 dyno tune I'm officially done!
Famous last words by 99% of the folks here, lol.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishn4life
when does the madness stop????

I'm going on record here - After the $400 dyno tune I'm officially done!
I can guarantee you it's not when you make a statement like that. Those ideas or thoughts are basically never kept, so for the record, remember your next mod is a lot closer than it was before you said that.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Cam selector and EGR effect tables.
The cam-selector feature is imbedded in the ECM and isn't unique to TTS. In fact, it's something HD originally devised that TTS exploited first on the aftermarket. It isn't feature in the PV yet, but I think you'll find it available very soon since it is already an ECM function that's just a matter of implementing via the tuner and is very practical if it works well. I don't know if SEPST can access it now or will in the future. It might be useful for someone to adapt an existing tune to a cam upgrade if a tune for that setup doesn't already exist, or if you couldn't tune it yourself as you can with the PV.

As for EGR Effects, do you think this really is something that riders must have to attain a good tune? It affects 0-60 KPA (part-throttle) to theoretically flatten out the VE table, but could you tell the difference between before and after if a six-pack was at stake? Do you think most techs will go to the extra effort to hyper-tune the EGR effects? It's an interesting extra feature, but I for one wouldn't let my tuner buying decision hedge on that item alone.

Last edited by iclick; 03-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:20 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the OP, iclick, or anybody else would like to know more about TTS Mastertune, I highly reccomend talking to Doc at Docs Performance Tuning. He is a pioneer in this field, & does amazing work! Give him a call, 352-404-6999. Doc can explain to you in a way so that it's easy for you to understand the advantages of the TTS over any of the other FMS's on the market. My bike had been previousely dyno tuned with the SEPRT at a dealer here in Ga. by a reputable tuner. I drove 969 miles round trip just to have Doc do his magic on it with the TTS & gained 16ft lbs tq & 12 hp SAE. Well worth the trip I'd say!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:28 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tts

AGREE WITH ABOVE POST!!

I'm quite hesitant to jump in here for a couple of reasons:
1- the information I'm going to give has been given though maybe confusing to read; and
2- there have been so many responses to this that have each in its own way provided correct information but not really digestable (IMHO).

Here goes... and acknowleging the good and accurate info previously given; and may I preface by stating that I am a TTS user and have the manuals, etc. and have read them and the forums and threads dealing specifically with TTS... that's the disclaimer (or maybe disqualifier in the minds of some... he he).

OP- when I read your report of what your tuner said to you, I read the following:
He can do a TTS/dyno tune and you're done; don't need an add-on FMS; you're good to go. That is accurate. The price he quoted does NOT include the purchase of a TTS unit that you will take home with you to use to 'complete' the tune. What I mean is the TTS/dyno tune will get your bike within 90-95% dead on; and for many, that's close enough and they may never notice the slight gains that can be made above that. That's what I read from the $400 tuning charge.

If you like to 'tinker' and fine tune, I recommend "purchasing" a TTS product in addition to the TTS service that your tuner has quoted; your tuner sells you a TTS (includes the hardware "dongle" that interfaces between your laptop and the ECM for your bike solely, and you'll need a cable that can be a TTS purchase or from your local electronics store -- but read up on the specific cable type/attributes). The price of the TTS tuner hardware package is around $400 (I don't recall) if you want to continue fine tuning after you leave the tuner's shop. You really should (as previously recommended in this thread) download the TTS manual from their website and skim through it to determine if you want to go here -- many do. It seems daunting at first, but there's much support and help available. And, if you're into tweaking, you'll feel no greater sense of satisfaction than fine tuning your ECM and feelling the difference it can make).

So, now we have the tuner's $400 for using HIS TTS/dyno tune;
OR you purchase YOUR ($400) TTS product which he uses to do the dyno tune ($400) and you take with you when you leave and with which you can modify (too extensive and detailed to go into here -- skim through the manual) the map to suit your needs.

One more thing about TTS; this is the company with whom Harley contracted to develop the Harley SERT system; and after the end of the contract Harley changed contractors which yielded the SEST products. The TTS product permits many more tuning points on the Delphi system than anything else on the market. (I believe this is still true, my info is several years old -- please correct if inaccurate).

All that said, there are a number of good FMS on the market and each has its missionaries and detractors; each product does what it is designed to do.

I have two recommendations given your question (as I understood it);
1- use the product you have; find someone who is competent to dyno with it; ride on, ride safe.
2- if you go the TTS/dyno tune route, determine ahead of time whether you just want the best tune that tuner can deliver for that day on your bike and you'll just ride it; or you're going to invest yourself in purchasing the TTS product and continue fine tuning (selling the FMS you have). The tuner with whom I have dealt has been supportive with "after-tune" support in tweaking maps if i describe a problem. But since I have the hardware/sw, I can load or reflash the ECM from maps he e-mails me by downloading the map into my laptop; connecting my laptop through the cable/dongle to the ECM; then running the software to 'flash' or reprogram or 'remap' my ECM.

Hope this helps.... if not, ignore it and ride on....... cheers!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DHubbs
I will be glad to help ya out there! Woulda thought you already knew,, haha....
1- Speedometer reset: Yes
2- Cam to injector timing: No, but stay tuned.
3- Drive by wire throttle control: Yes
4- EGR adjustments: No.
5- Barometer adjustments: Explain. MAP sensor does this with any tuner.
6- PE control tables: Yes
7- IAC Step adjustments: Yes
8- Temp. Spark adjustments: Yes
9- Ect, ect: Probably yes.

Hope this helps ya!
No, not really. I was responding to your claim that TTS "is capable of so much more than the other FMS's on the market." I still don't see the "so much more" part of the statement. Go look at the PV feature set, then start a new thread in the ECM-Tuner section and I'll discuss it with you. We'll talk about all the features the PV has that TTS doesn't, and even some advantages the PCV has over TTS. Not here, please, as this thread belongs to Fishn4Life. Okay? Drop me a PM when you start it. Thanks.

Last edited by iclick; 03-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DHubbs
If the OP, iclick, or anybody else would like to know more about TTS Mastertune, I highly reccomend talking to Doc at Docs Performance Tuning. He is a pioneer in this field, & does amazing work! Give him a call, 352-404-6999. Doc can explain to you in a way so that it's easy for you to understand the advantages of the TTS over any of the other FMS's on the market. My bike had been previousely dyno tuned with the SEPRT at a dealer here in Ga. by a reputable tuner. I drove 969 miles round trip just to have Doc do his magic on it with the TTS & gained 16ft lbs tq & 12 hp SAE. Well worth the trip I'd say!
Doc is a good tuner who works only with TTS. I'll bet a beer that he will not say you can't get a good tune with another device, only that he works exclusively with TTS. The best tuner in this area prefers tuning with the PC, but he will tune with any of the other major tuners on the market. Every human tuner has his preferences, and just because one good tuner uses Brand X doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone.

There's a point where common sense comes into play whether you're choosing an oil or a tuner. If you are determined to have a dyno tune performed and only want Doc to do it, the right tuner for you is TTS. If you want your bike to run well at a reasonable cost, one good option among others is to buy a $300 PCV from Fuel Moto with one of their maps installed. OTOH the PV may be the best solution if you like to tweak, want to self-tune, and like to monitor useful ECM and other data on a small handlebar-mounted display unit. There is no "best" tuning device for everyone, as everyone has his own needs and expectations--and, yes, sometimes these evolve into prejudices.

Last edited by iclick; 03-23-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: TTS dyno tune clarification