Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTS dyno tune clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 AM
fishn4life
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Question TTS dyno tune clarification

Yes, I have searched and have read a good number of threads here. Great info but still scratching my head...

I have an 02 RK, running 88 stock, SE air cleaner, PC3.
Bike ran "acceptable" maybe on the sluggish side WITH the PC3 (map from fuel moto), and seemed to run better when PC3 was unplugged.

I have recently made some changes:
Andrews 21n cams, true duals, & CFR muffs.

I'm told by a reputable dyno shop that he can dyno tune my bike without using the PC3 (bypassing it completely) using TTS dyno tune. Time is 3-4 hours and will cost $400. Several members on this forum have recommended him.

In doing further research other reputable dyno shops have told me I absolutely need an additional fuel management system with any dyno tune (PC3, thundermax, etc...) & there is no way getting around it.

WTF???? I specifically asked an expert dyno tuner if I could ditch my PC3 for good and he says "absolutely, the TTS dyno tune is all you're going to need!"

Several other shops and most members here are saying you need an after market fuel management system with any dyno tune.

can someone here please clarify the need for a FMS with a TTS dyno tune???

Thanks

Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTS is an aftermarket tuning device but instaed of piggybacking on the bike it is just an interface that will reprogram the HD ecm.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by fishn4life
...can someone here please clarify the need for a FMS with a TTS dyno tune???

Thanks
The TTS system IS the FMS. It hooks up to your bike's ECM via a set of data cables so changes to the onboard map can be made. Upon completion, the interface and cables are disconnected and removed so no external parts are left attached to the bike.

Make sure the price quoted includes the TTS system (a small black box called the interface) and not simple dyno time.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 AM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps he means a TTS MasterTune (program your ecm) followed by a Dyno run (fine tune it).
Sounds like a plan !!
SC

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I trashed my SEPRT for the TTS Mastertune. It made a huge difference! The TTS in my opinion is by far the best fuel managment system on the market today. Be sure your dyno tuner is reputable & very familiar with the TTS. It is capable of so much more than the other FMS,s on the market.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blkfalc4
TTS is an aftermarket tuning device but instaed of piggybacking on the bike it is just an interface that will reprogram the HD ecm.
Exactly,
you will need some form of interface (VCI) between the operators dyno and your ECM. Be it a SEPST, Power Vision, or any of the mentioned, depending on the dyno operators setup.

The 2 I have are the SEPST, and PV, and both have pre written maps for the ECM.
I could take it a step further and have it put on a dyno with either of these, but am Happy where I am at.
Many also come with software to run your bike, gather (and store) real time running info from the ECM, and then "fine tune" on a laptop or desktop PC, and send the new map to your bike. The "auto tuning" software is a way to bypass a true dyno tune.

In their simplest of forms, think of any of these (VCI) interfaces as language translators, for the ECM and the PC software all know the same info, but need a translator to communicate. It would be like me firing up a conversation with someone Spanish, or Thai speaking, I would be huh?, but, put a TTS, SEPST, or PV in between and now I understand everything in the map. Maps are just algorithums, or mathematical tables with target values.

A little "wordy", but hey, it's FRIDAY, and tomorrow I ride...........

Last edited by VTL nut; 03-23-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadbthe tts done with Ed at the Dyno difference and my bike runs kick ***. Ditched a brand new PCV for it by new I mean 30 days old.

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 AM
fishn4life
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCruise
Perhaps he means a TTS MasterTune (program your ecm) followed by a Dyno run (fine tune it).
Sounds like a plan !!
SC
This is what I was told I would be getting....

I compared the scenario as having a chevy truck and being able to plug in an aftermarket hyper tech device temporarily - reprogram it for best fuel / air ratio - unplug it - and be on my way.
My indy said that's exactly how it works - said it takes 3-4 hours of fine tuning and I'm on my way - another happy customer...

Originally Posted by VTL nut
Exactly,
you will need some form of interface (VCI) between the operators dyno and your ECM. Be it a SEPST, Power Vision, or any of the mentioned, depending on the dyno operators setup.

The 2 I have are the SEPST, and PV, and both have pre written maps for the ECM.
I could take it a step further and have it put on a dyno with either of these, but am Happy where I am at.
Many also come with software to run your bike, gather (and store) real time running info from the ECM, and then "fine tune" on a laptop or desktop PC, and send the new map to your bike. The "auto tuning" software is a way to bypass a true dyno tune.

In their simplest of forms, think of any of these (VCI) interfaces as language translators, for the ECM and the PC software all know the same info, but need a translator to communicate. It would be like me firing up a conversation with someone Spanish, or Thai speaking, I would be huh?, but, put a TTS, SEPST, or PV in between and now I understand everything in the map. Maps are just algorithums, or mathematical tables with target values.

A little "wordy", but hey, it's FRIDAY, and tomorrow I ride...........
There is no device that comes with the bike, the indy is using the TTS to plug into my bikes "mainframe" & reprograming it & fine tuning it with a dyno.

This is why I'm scratching my head, I've been told by several other Indy's (all w/ good reps from this site) that I will NEED an after market device to continue interfacing the air/fuel management .
They have told me "Harley has NOT made it possible to plug / download / & go" unless I have an aftermarket device.

trying not to -

Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a second opinion, call Doc.

http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/index.html

As soon as I have the extra cash, this is exactly where my bike is going!!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The TTS flash device is required to interface with the bike. It's $400 for a single bike unit, or $600 for a dual bike unit. The flash device locks to the bike when the ECM is programmed, so you're going to need to purchase one. You can't use one TTS unit to program a bunch of bikes. The indy mechanic either doesn't know how a TTS/SERT works or you're not getting the 100% complete story.

I would expect to pay ~ $400 for the TTS and another $300-$400 for the dyno tune.

Quick Reply: TTS dyno tune clarification