Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Update??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
swamperca
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I Update??????

Been riding my present Harleys 94 (FXR 87,000mi.) and 96 (Road King 165,000). Most of my time these days are on the Road King which I've put on a fairing and tour box both with quick connects. Been thinking about selling both and getting a new Classic or Ultra, not sure which one would be the best for me. Not really sure if I need to switch things up as both my present bike are fine and run great, not much of anything has ever had to be repaired. So question is, is the Ultra worth the extra money over the Classic???

Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

ultra classic or ultra limited I choose classic in florida I don't need heated grips and like bag guards.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is if you want the lower fairings, intercom, cb, rear speakers, and a few other little things. Personally I would stick with what you have. What you would spend on a new one would go a long, long way to upgrading your older ones. Just read through some of the threads about the new ones with oil leaks on 2012 models, transmission making clunking noises, whining in 5th gear, excessive heat, and the list goes on, and on and on. Top all that off with the normal dealer reply "thats normal, they all do that." I am going to stay with my 99 ultra for a long, long time. To me h/d's are like an old pickup truck, new motor and transmission, maybe some body work and paint here and there, and good to go.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you start "thinking" about a new bike........

In your case, going from a 94 & 96 to a 2012 the differences are huge.

Fuel injection
103 ci Twin Cam
New style frame
6 speed xmsn
Brembo brakes
6 gallon tank

You really need to test drive a new one.

Main differences between EG Classic & Ultra
Ultra has:
4 speakers, intercom & CB
Lower Fairings
Cruise control
Tourpak has lights

EG Limited adds:
ABS & Security system (optional on EG & Ultra)
Luggage rack
Heated grips

Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
swamperca
Cruiser

Dealers let you test ride them now? Mine where ordered more than a year ahead of time and never was able to test anything.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swamperca
Dealers let you test ride them now? Mine where ordered more than a year ahead of time and never was able to test anything.
Oh yeah, they have HD demo rides all the time and some dealers carry their own demos as well for you to try.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BugBYter
Once you start "thinking" about a new bike........

In your case, going from a 94 & 96 to a 2012 the differences are huge.

Fuel injection
103 ci Twin Cam
New style frame
6 speed xmsn
Brembo brakes
6 gallon tank
+1 on the massive differences in current models vs. the era of the Evo. Loved my Evo - major reliability, and I could overhaul the carb on the roadside if need be. Was previously anti-FI. Oh, yeah. That's one of the big reasons I traded-up for my '12 - I don't need to tweak with the carb anymore. Now I just use my 'puter. Man, just hopping-on, taking off w/o fiddling with the enrichener and fuel valve regardless of weather temp/conditions is a major improvement. Brembos work well, but I will not test their limits until I get rid of the stock front-end fork nose-dive!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been riding my present Harleys 94 (FXR 87,000mi.) and 96 (Road King 165,000). Most of my time these days are on the Road King which I've put on a fairing and tour box both with quick connects. Been thinking about selling both and getting a new Classic or Ultra, not sure which one would be the best for me. Not really sure if I need to switch things up as both my present bike are fine and run great, not much of anything has ever had to be repaired. So question is, is the Ultra worth the extra money over the Classic???
Since you obviously make the most out of your purchase, get the most you can for your money and go for the Ultra. I don't think its much different in price, and if you like the idea of having 4 speakers over 2, more visibility with the lights, and if you would use a cb or intercom with a rider, then go ultra. If none of that matters, and it saves you enough money then go classic. My dealers have more Ultras to choose from then classics on the floor too. Heck I'm not even sure there was even one new classic when I was last there...they were ultra, limited, and streetglides. Not that you can't get something in ya want tho.

The ride won't be any different so a test ride for difference won't mean much. If you wanted to do a quickdetach for any reason, the classic will be easier with less wires.

One of my stupid little things was a visual thing... I had a hard time getting past the single antenna on the Classic vs the dual on the Ultra... sounds silly but I like the two giving it a symmetrical look. BUt thats my sick mind..LOL

Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
swamperca
Cruiser

So, does the engine still need to be worked on before you get performance out of it??? Seems like most of you guys have the cam, stage 2, and new exhaust on them. You know it took me 5 years to get the right seat, handle bar and suspension to where I wanted it on my Road King. I'm still trying to find the right exhaust set up, I think that's what is driving me towards a new bike.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM
TheArchitect
Tourer

Well a new one would be a big technological improvement, but I bet you've got a sentimental attachment to the older ones. I've got a 92 Sporty that I bought new and have sunk way too much money in. It's a vibrating sun-of-a-gun and has a disgusting range on the 2.25 gallon peanut tank, but I can't seem to bear to part with it. I guess that's why I have 4 bikes in the garage, LOL!

Quick Reply: Should I Update??????