Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Monster Rounds or Supertrapp Stouts

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V&H Monster Rounds or Supertrapp Stouts

I currently have FuelMoto's air cleaner and a Power Vision tuner installed on my 2011 Road King Classic. However, I've been having a difficult time selecting slip-ons to finish off a Stage 1 mod. I do plan to keep my stock head pipe (with cat).

As far as sound, I like a really deep tone and don't want pipes that are too much louder than stock. I've narrowed my choice to the V&H Monster Rounds and the SuperTrapp 4" Stouts.

I've read many positive comments for each of these slip-ons. However, there have been numerous complaints about the poor quality of chrome on the V&H pipes. I have also seen a couple negative comments about the quality of Kerker pipes, which I'm assuming are made by the same outfit that makes the SuperTrapp pipes.

Does anyone know which of these slip-ons can yield better performance numbers after a proper tune?

FuelMoto charges about $50 more for the SuperTrapp slip-ons than the V&H so price is very close.

Are there any other slip-ons that are on the quiet side, but will yield some decent performance gains that I should be considering?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have better sound with the V&H, as far as deeper and lower. The SuperTrapps are more raspy. The Fuel Moto Jackpot is what I run and is the lowest, deepest sound I've found.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt you're going to see any appreciable hp difference in slip-ons, especially with the stock head pipe. And even with a difference in performance, it's probably 1-3hp at the most so I would go with whichever one you like the most and don't worry about hp.

Anyway, I have the monster rounds and love them. They are HEAVY too. AND, rather quiet, but IF you do want them a little louder, you can pull out the baffle, unwrap and remove the fiberglass wrap, and reinstall them.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Go Monster! Some folks dislike them saying the y are not loud enuogh, but over time they will break in and sound much better. I have around 5000K on mine and they sound much better (deeper and louder) than when first installed. They even sound better after warming up.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

And no chrome issues as mentioned above. I hear they tend to peel off the tips, as these are aluminum instead of steel like the rest of the unit. I would suggest buying the black tips to avoid this issue. Mine are starting to bubble slightly on the tips. I figure on having them powder coated when they start to look bad. Maybe even blue to match bike.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have MRs and have been pleased with them so far. Not nearly so loud as some slip-ons, but they are a good compromise for deepness without becoming annoying to "she who must be obeyed" when you twist the wick, like my old Longshots. No signs of chrome issues so far, with a little over 5K on the clock. I like how they look vs. alternatives. Can't speak to the Super Trapps, tho.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Go with the monster Rounds. Have them for about 5K like the others.
Only chrome issue I have is my fault. Backed one of the tips over a curb. Little chip in the chrome that you can't see from above. Hasn't spread in 4K miles.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM
redeye93
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I had Supertrapps on my SG at first and when I upgraded to the RG, I went with the Monster Rounds because after riding behind my bike for the first time with the Trapps, I realized it was REALLY too quiet. I like the Monster Rounds, a little bit louder, but not obnoxious. If you want close to stock, then the Supertrapps. If you want a little bit more than that quiet, then Monsters are a great option. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 PM
RAD Dog 23
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monster Rounds are great, I love mine. If you ride with others they will appreciate it. Loud enough and if you really want to get on them they sound great.