Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essential tool kit

Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Eagle Driver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Essential tool kit

Hello fellow riders. Bought a 2012 Ultra Classic this past January and It's coming time for a big ride in July. Question for you experienced types. What do you consider essential and what do you consider nice to have. Especially as far as a tool kit. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Guido

Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10mm wrench, 10 inch crescent wrench, some various torx bits, combination screwdriver, multi tool of your choice, tie wraps, electrical tape and band aids. You did say essential.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Buzzard42
Intermediate

Lots of threads on this topic if you do a quick search.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 PM
06Cummins
Road Captain

I carry a Phillips screw driver a 3/8 socket set 1/4 socket set and a set of torx sockets. Found a good deal at lowes. Both sets have 6" exstenions and a cool lil carrying case and don't forget an Allen set.it sounds like a lot but they are small sets and don't take up much room. Ill get pics tomorrow and post them for yeah

Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Sad thing is tools aren't considered essential until you need it and don't have it. Above all else, carry a cell phone, break down coverage and phone numbers. I carry a Garmin GPS and I downloaded all the HD points from the Garmin website. Those points always have the dealerships phone numbers assigned to them. I've used it more than once for buddies that ride with me.

Tools themselves are going to vary from bike to bike depending on your year and model. One thing is certain, the tool kit provided by the OEM is junk and very insufficient. I'd suggest you write down the essential tools YOU use doing your periodic maintenance and see if you can carry them with you.

In addition, you should add electrical tape, wiring connectors, extra fuses, light bulbs, small can of WD-40, a packet or two of hand cleaners, air pressure gauge, tire plug kit with a can of air. My tool bag weighs about 7 lbs now. I've love to list everything and take pictures but it's about 9,000 miles away at the moment. I never use my bike tool bag for regular maintenance for fear I'd start to leave my emergency tools at home.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Ace Hanlon
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Subscribed

Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Subscribed

Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Sad thing is tools aren't considered essential until you need it and don't have it. Above all else, carry a cell phone, break down coverage and phone numbers. I carry a Garmin GPS and I downloaded all the HD points from the Garmin website. Those points always have the dealerships phone numbers assigned to them. I've used it more than once for buddies that ride with me.

Tools themselves are going to vary from bike to bike depending on your year and model. One thing is certain, the tool kit provided by the OEM is junk and very insufficient. I'd suggest you write down the essential tools YOU use doing your periodic maintenance and see if you can carry them with you.

In addition, you should add electrical tape, wiring connectors, extra fuses, light bulbs, small can of WD-40, a packet or two of hand cleaners, air pressure gauge, tire plug kit with a can of air. My tool bag weighs about 7 lbs now. I've love to list everything and take pictures but it's about 9,000 miles away at the moment. I never use my bike tool bag for regular maintenance for fear I'd start to leave my emergency tools at home.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 AM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,189 Likes on 2,822 Posts

I like to do my own wrenching but to be honest when I travel. It is a cell phone and credit card

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Essential tool kit