Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do y'all think about this Electra Glide? '97 EVO bike.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
naga77777
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do y'all think about this Electra Glide for my first Harley? '97 EVO bike.

Hi everyone. This is my first post, as I cruised around the intro section but don't actually have a Harley to show off (yet).

I've caught the bug, wanting to upgrade from my current bike to a dresser, specifically a batwing bike. I'm looking at a '97 Electra glide right now on CL. 65k on an EVO engine, and he's asking 7k. I would appreciate any input, and recommendations of things to ask the seller if I'm forgetting anything.

I've been reading up for a couple weeks here, and see that the old EVO engines are pretty sturdy once you get the torrington cam bearing in them. I've also read something about replacing the lifters around 50k. I was reading another thread where someone was advised to take a mirror and a flashlight to the underside of the frame to check for corrosion on an older bagger.

Aside from these things, and the normal questions (was planning asking about tire/belt age, as well as routine maintenance) is there anything else y'all recommend I look for on this bike?

Here's pics of the bike, I Dont know if he has a QD kit for the tour PAC, but he says it comes off in 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give

Last edited by naga77777; 07-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

if this is any help, I sold my '95 FLHTC in 2010 for $6500 ( asked $7500).
the buyer is happy and I think a fair deal both ways

mine was in perfect shape with 82,000 miles.
upgraded ignition system, clutch and a few other things
belt at about 70,000 miles swingarm bushings too. new tires and brakes
stage 1 motor was "unmonkeyed" with.

I wouldn't buy an old EFI bike, the carb is better- that looks to be a FLHTC model would should have a carb

the inner cam bearing is more an issue with a performance cam- both my evos ( 88 and 95) ran up over 80k miles and no mechanical failures, bearings, lifters etc.

service records will be worth while

there is also an evo forum here FYI.

most of the riders on this forum have newer model bikes, and maybe no first-hand knowledge of evos.

2.) a late model evo is probably a better bike at lower cost than an early twin cam

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-12-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Is 7k realistically your budget? I think you could probably get a bit newer for only a couple k more.. I just trading in my 1996 Road King.. honestly the problems were starting to pile up after that many years. And the dealers really don't like touching the old Evo's it seems anymore. If you wrench yourself and or have a good indy mechanic it might be a good fit. My major issue with my 96 was getting parts.. although 97 and up was much more common than my year...

I finally caved and went all out and picked up a brand spankin' new 2013 Ultra Limited. I was tired of constantly having stuff fixed.. A '97 is 16+ years old at this point, stuff is going to be wearing out. I guess I would ask what major work he had done, if its NONE, then that may be a tipoff that it might need some soon given the years and the miles.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Just to agree with the poster above me, I would avoid EFI as well.. My 96 had it, and it was complete crap. I had it removed. 97's I think had a different system than mine though, but I would still avoid it.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
naga77777
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks guys. It is comforting to know that the can bearings can go 80k on an unmonkeyed-with motor

Well, 7k isn't really my budget. I was gonna try and get it for a bit less, and would be borrowing that money. I own my current bike outright, and could get a couple grand for it, but not anywhere near 7k.

My brother in-law scored a 98 road king with 53k miles for $5 grand (low balled the hell out of the seller-- it was listed at 9k) so I was hoping to get this one for somewhere around 5-6k.

I am pretty handy with a wrench, but horrible at diagnosing things. Once I've figured out what's wrong (or been told ) I'm pretty good at fixing/replacing mechanical parts.

EDIT: If this is better suited to be in the EVO forum, could a mod please move it? I didn't know if it shoulda been in the evo forum because of the engine, or the touring forum because of the frame :/