Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Motolights provide a fairly wide pattern that does not project far mainly provide light directly in front of the bike and to the side. I have not had these that long and I don't really ride much at night so take it as you will.

My review of Motolights.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ith-video.html

Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Smokee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthsj
Take your bike to the dealer and ask them to reprogram your auxiliary lights so that they stay on with the headlight on LOW or HIGH beam. This will eliminate the unlit area in front of your bike when you have it on HIGH beam *and* light the sides of the road. My stealership charged me 1/2 hour of labor to do this, but I was the first to ask about it, so they needed to figure it out. It did take them about 30 minutes.

The 2014 bikes have to be reprogrammed, you can no longer splice wires like the 2013 and down to do this (which I've done on 3 bikes). Bad or good? You can decide. The 2014 bikes have much more integrated electronics/electrical. I happen to think that is good.
Thanks for the programming tip! That explains a whole lot. Very helpful information.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 AM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put #896 bulbs in the passing lamps. Takes them from 27.5 watts up to 55 watts each. Big diff. I also modified a h9 bulb to go in the h11 hole. Doesn't do anything for your pattern issue, but there's 2 economical ways to get more light out. I gave up on LEDs after I realized it would be 2 bike payments to do it, and if one goes bad, I can't replace the light from just any old parts store.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer

Originally Posted by nopetrol
You can put #896 bulbs in the passing lamps. Takes them from 27.5 watts up to 55 watts each. Big diff. I also modified a h9 bulb to go in the h11 hole. Doesn't do anything for your pattern issue, but there's 2 economical ways to get more light out. I gave up on LEDs after I realized it would be 2 bike payments to do it, and if one goes bad, I can't replace the light from just any old parts store.

Can you put these bulbs in these new housings? I haven't taken them out, but I was under the impression that they were sealed and if they went out, you had to replace the whole thing. If that is so, My problem may be solved. Yahoo. I'm going now to check this out!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by flhxmc
Yeah you should do this, cause that guy went through hell being one of the first limited owners that puked its coolant. Now he has a streetglide and wants his LED back.

Mike
Ha Ha ... Thanks guys but I went and bought a Daymaker already and sold and shipped my dual halogen. Dealer was nice enough to give me a BIG discount even though they didnt have to.

This thread is making me wonder if I made the right decision... uh oh...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stealership can program your spot lights to be on with your high beam via computer. I had them do this to mine and it made all the difference in the world on my little unlit slice of heaven. Check your state's laws.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LED light does take some getting used to and could very well be out of adjustment. When I bought mine it came with a packet of washers for shimming the light and specific directions on how to aim it. There is a definite horizon effect and when leaning into a turn you do lose depth of field on the inside of the turn. By aiming the beam higher this would help but I don't know how much. I have actually gotten used to it and can't see it as a problem or maybe I just can't see. I've had others tell me that they can see me a mile away and that the light when I'm behind them for sure lets them know I'm there.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Ha Ha ... Thanks guys but I went and bought a Daymaker already and sold and shipped my dual halogen. Dealer was nice enough to give me a BIG discount even though they didnt have to.

This thread is making me wonder if I made the right decision... uh oh...
I do not know where you live, but, as long as I'm around some sort of other light source, I have no problem. It's just when I'm on a dark rural road by myself, which is where I live. If I did not have to go home at night I'd be OK. Ha Ha !

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Axegrinder
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclelockman
To start with, I LOVE everything about my 2014 Limited. The only thing that I am not excited about is the headlight. I live in a rural area and this thing will shine a mile out front of you, but it is in about a 2 foot radius. It is like a spot light. As long as you are going straight or riding around street lights, it is great, but you get out in the country in the twisties, you are screwed. Can't see the side of the road at all. Please, someone tell me what to do. I do not want to hit another deer. ( No fun. This is another story) What can I do. I'm pretty sure I'm not he only one.
No your not the only one... That is the only thing I do not like on my new Limited.. I live in the country too and you can't see **** when you are going around a turn with or without the running lamps on I was going to swap out for the older style but the plugs are different and since I nor anybody else seems to know **** about these new bikes I will have to wait till someone comes up with something..

Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Axegrinder

No your not the only one... That is the only thing I do not like on my new Limited.. I live in the country too and you can't see **** when you are going around a turn with or without the running lamps on I was going to swap out for the older style but the plugs are different and since I nor anybody else seems to know **** about these new bikes I will have to wait till someone comes up with something..
You can switch to the Dual Halogen but you need the Lamp, Base Ring, Wire Harness Adapter and Reprogram of the BCM. Just FYI as I just got done doing the exact opposite.

Quick Reply: 2014 Headlight