Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:06 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Motolights provide a fairly wide pattern that does not project far mainly provide light directly in front of the bike and to the side. I have not had these that long and I don't really ride much at night so take it as you will.

My review of Motolights.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ith-video.html
I was thinking the same thing but out where I live the roads arent very smooth and I figured attaching lights to the front would kill me wathching them bounce.....

Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 PM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I would agree.

when driving I do NOT see the 2014's as well.

I saw a car pull out in front of a 2014 last week...we were both waiting to pull out of home depot onto a 3 lane road...

I saw the bike coming due to the size and sun reflections on the chrome...but the headlight and spots do not cast a wide enough beam...and the guy in front of me pulled out.
a wreck was avoided but darn close.

2.) when these bikes come up behind, they disappear in my side mirror when they get close.

Riders don't assume you are seen.

mike
Ditto, I had a 2014 right behind me and didn't see the headlight at all. Changed my mind about getting the LEDs for my 2013.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it can't be spliced? are the wires gone? what is up with this?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM
nopetrol
Tourer

Apologize for not answering. I was sitting in pre-op for sinus surgery when I made my post ! Lol. I don't know one way or the other if your 14 light housings are diff than my 13's. If you need a set from an older bike, they can be found on the 'bay easy, and they pop up here in the classifieds often enough.

I live in a rural area as well. Deer darting out, possums and such are a constant hazard. The 896 bulbs go in with no mods, they are considerably brighter, and I turned them so they widen the throw a bit more. They pick up at the edge of the headlight's throw. I'm sure the left one is aimed into the adjacent lane a bit, I do get flashed once in a while ... But hey, you saw me. My brother usually insists on running lead lol, he hasn't taken the lead after dark since I did this.

I like LEDs, I understand the bennies of running them. I'll be putting them everywhere else on the bike. For purposes of the main light, the cost is too much for me now that I have a bike with aux lamps too. And I got the RK with the purpose of going further, more often than I could comfortably do on my old Fatboy. If I'm in Mayberry USA and have a head light out, I wanted to only limp to the nearest Wally or Autoz0ne. I have about $30 bucks in it.

Originally Posted by motorcyclelockman
Can you put these bulbs in these new housings? I haven't taken them out, but I was under the impression that they were sealed and if they went out, you had to replace the whole thing. If that is so, My problem may be solved. Yahoo. I'm going now to check this out!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I did not find it that big a deal but would be nice to be able to leave the passing lamps on at all times. Biggest thing I would have to complain about would be if you have the low beams a little high like I do they become to high when you have a passenger.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I was gonna add the day makers to my 2013 but am changing my mind after reading these post. I live on a dirt road in the woods, no street lights here at all!!! I really want my stock set up brighter any other options that work? Also does anybody know if running running lights with high beam is legal in nh?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
nopetrol
Tourer

I guess I got lucky with my 13 being the last of the pre-canbus . I scored a Kury total control from Craig's. It jumps in and allows the passing lamps to switch independent of the head light. With a CVO dual beam, h9 bulbs in both holes, and the passing lamps on in hi beam, it was worth the trouble.

I don't know what the police are like in everyone's individual areas ... But where I'm at in southern Nj, the odds of getting pulled over for running all of these are really, really slim.

Originally Posted by Just Me
I did not find it that big a deal but would be nice to be able to leave the passing lamps on at all times. Biggest thing I would have to complain about would be if you have the low beams a little high like I do they become to high when you have a passenger.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

>>Take your bike to the dealer and ask them to reprogram your auxiliary lights <<
That feature is an accessory available in the parts dept. A pretty easy install once you find the right wires.

Mark

Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 AM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts
Default adjust

Originally Posted by longjh53
I adjusted my low beams to move the target spot our further, much better- with that, the high beam is too high. Anyone else take a swing at adjusting the headlight?
Ran a halogen on my old dyna and wasn't worth a crap where I live (in the middle of farm country with windy roads. Ran the stock halogen on my street glide and had to add the HD fog lights to the highway bar to see well. Then switched out the headlight to a Phase 7 and Dynamic Ringz in the front turn signals. That was a major improvement but still lacking in the turns. Have a 14 Limited now. First night I rode it, noticed as mentioned that auxillary lamps were not lighting up the turns as they should and headlamp was a little too high, including the high beam. Next night lined it up on level ground behind a commercial building with no lighting in the area. Measured off 25 feet and turned on my lamps against rear door of the building. Adjusted aux lamps down and slightly out and headlamp down. Before doing this I marked a line where top of light was on the door. Lowered and measured until top of beam was 4" below the original line. All is good now and no issues in the twisties at night. Three friends have added the Daymakers to their 13 Ultras and done the same. The daymakers are by far better than anything I have had before.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by orthsj
Take your bike to the dealer and ask them to reprogram your auxiliary lights so that they stay on with the headlight on LOW or HIGH beam. This will eliminate the unlit area in front of your bike when you have it on HIGH beam *and* light the sides of the road. My stealership charged me 1/2 hour of labor to do this, but I was the first to ask about it, so they needed to figure it out. It did take them about 30 minutes.

The 2014 bikes have to be reprogrammed, you can no longer splice wires like the 2013 and down to do this (which I've done on 3 bikes). Bad or good? You can decide. The 2014 bikes have much more integrated electronics/electrical. I happen to think that is good.
I have a 2014 Limited. At night with the passing lamps on, it's an incredible amount of light, much better than anything I've driven, but when you hit the High Beam and the passing lamps turn off, you can't see to the sides.

At the 1000 mile service today, I had the dealer reprogram it so the passing lamps stay on with the high beam. They didn't charge me anything to do it. In fact they didn't even know about it until I asked for it.

I'll let you know how it is on my next night ride.

Quick Reply: 2014 Headlight