Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Cliff, when the daymakers are adjusted properly and you have the spots reprogramed to stay on all the time, night driving is great. It truly is what there called. "DAYMAKERS"

Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

When I bought my XR1200 used it came with a Daymaker. I thought it was the worst POS headlight I ever saw. It dawned on my thick skull one night that it may not be aimed correctly. I adjusted the headlight, and WOW that thing is the best headlight I have had by a mile!!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:44 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff-AZ
This thread is sad. Ive considered swapping my headlight for an LED but every review I read makes the same complaint about daylight viability from other drivers. Glad I left all alone. I'm surprised HD would put these in their bikes knowing this.
Crazy!
There is a ton of good information on this forum, other forums, and the internet as a whole. However there is even more mis-information or bad information.

You should base your purchase decision on real-world experience and real-world testing. I myself complained about the first set of Daymakers that were released saying they were crap. I had them on for a total of 4 days. I agree that's not enough time to actually form an educated opinion and who knows, maybe I adjusted them incorrectly. The LEDs that HD has out now which most think are Trucklite LEDs are IMO much better. Adjusted properly based on your weight as a rider will give off as much if not more visibility than a standard headlight to other traffic during daylight hours. I guarantee you that the majority of the complaints you see all over the place are very subjective and way too many variables to make a decision based upon.

Go check it out for yourself. I know the roadies with the old style Daymakers are bright as can be on a clear day and can be seen from a mile away.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
When I bought my XR1200 used it came with a Daymaker. I thought it was the worst POS headlight I ever saw. It dawned on my thick skull one night that it may not be aimed correctly. I adjusted the headlight, and WOW that thing is the best headlight I have had by a mile!!
You are quite right. If they are adjusted too low they really dont show up much in the daylight. Get them aimed right they get attention!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BadX
I love the Daymakers myself, with the stock headlight it was only decent on high beam and the daymakers light up the road much better for me. For you guys having issues you may want to adjust them.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the dealer adjust both, the headlight and the spots and then I've gone back and adjusted and adjusted and adjusted, both the headlight and the spots with little to no satisfaction. If I get the low beam where I can see decently the high beam is so high is good for not much more than coon hunting. If I adjust it where I can actually use the high beam I have to slow down to a crawl in turns because I can't see hardly anything past 40' in front of me. That's a scary feeling going into curves blind. Adjusting the spots and having them programmed to stay on with high beam has helped but it's still not good. I can honestly see twice as good with the headlights on both of our 2003 Heritage Softail and the 2007 883Low than I can using the brand new, fancy, high tech 2014 Daymaker. Seriously thinking about swapping in something else.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nchogfan
I had the dealer adjust both, the headlight and the spots and then I've gone back and adjusted and adjusted and adjusted, both the headlight and the spots with little to no satisfaction. If I get the low beam where I can see decently the high beam is so high is good for not much more than coon hunting. If I adjust it where I can actually use the high beam I have to slow down to a crawl in turns because I can't see hardly anything past 40' in front of me. That's a scary feeling going into curves blind. Adjusting the spots and having them programmed to stay on with high beam has helped but it's still not good. I can honestly see twice as good with the headlights on both of our 2003 Heritage Softail and the 2007 883Low than I can using the brand new, fancy, high tech 2014 Daymaker. Seriously thinking about swapping in something else.
How old are you?

Not trying to be a smart ***. I'm 58 and I find the bright blue/white temperature of LED and HID headlights REALLY annoying to look into/at with oncoming traffic but awesome to have on MY vehicle. I think older eyes get more sensitive to those light frequencies.

Maybe older eyes like the LED and younger eyes prefer the warmer analog lights. Maybe I'm full of it. Lol.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
How old are you?

Not trying to be a smart ***. I'm 58 and I find the bright blue/white temperature of LED and HID headlights REALLY annoying to look into/at with oncoming traffic but awesome to have on MY vehicle. I think older eyes get more sensitive to those light frequencies.

Maybe older eyes like the LED and younger eyes prefer the warmer analog lights. Maybe I'm full of it. Lol.

Everybody I have seen on the road with them stick out like a sore thumb to me, that bright white light is attention grabbing or at least it is to me. I do recall seeing a couple that the headlights didn't seem that bright but it looked they were aimed down. My wife has the phase7 on her street glide and when standing above the bike it don't look bright but when I am sitting level it is.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain

Hi "offthewall", I know you're not trying to be a smartass. I'm 50 and I agree that as I get older the brighter lights are harder to look into from oncoming traffic. I was using the light blue tinted glasses at night because they are awesome for dealing with glare from other lights. I've switched back to clear to try and help me see outwards with this new headlight. The lighting width of the Daymaker is great, although the high beam does get significantly narrow compared to the low beam. It's the abrupt cutoff of the top and bottom field of light that get to me as much as anything. I expected the Daymaker to flood the countryside with light, especially on high beam but that's just not been the case. My 2007 Ultra Classic with a Silverstar Ultra bulb showed me much more of where I was going.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain

I also want to add that a great deal of my driving is done out of town on country roads and deer, along with dead skunks, possum, rabbits, squirrels, cats, etc are not uncommon. I'll continue to adjust and hope that I find just the right combination but I'm getting tired of adjusting every evening when I get off the bike.

Quick Reply: 2014 Headlight