Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM
RK Fan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you buy the Road King new?

Originally Posted by Mike95376
I'm new to Harley's. My front tire is almost completely worn out on my 2010 Road King, almost 11K miles. You can still see the full tread pattern. I could go another 500 miles I think. But the rear is still looking very good, about 3/16" of tread left. I had a friend say he goes through 2 fronts for every rear tire. Does that sound reasonable?
I never had a motorcycle do that. Hmm. I'm not complaining.

Maybe the previous owner swapped out the front tire before he sold it?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
GNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only ran Metzlers on my last bike and learned quickley about inflation. First you have to keep them inflated, at least twice a month. Second whatever the max. presure is posted on the sidewall, that is what you run them at. That can vary between tire models with the same manufacturer. If you are seeing cupping, that can be a sign of under inflation.
If you keep your presures consistant, the bikes handeling will be consistant.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow. On my baggers I've replaced them in sets, usually at about 7500 miles or so. The front sides are the first to go, but I do ride a lot of twisties.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Setting aside the mileage you have on it, your front tyre is knackered! So first thing to do is to arrange a replacement asap. That 500 miles you think you have could disappear in 100 or so, as in my experience that last bit of tread never lasts very long.

There are two things that affect mileage, the way each of us rides and pressures. You may be the last of the late breakers, for all we know! Check pressures regularly on your new tyre.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike95376
I'm new to Harley's. My front tire is almost completely worn out on my 2010 Road King, almost 11K miles. You can still see the full tread pattern. I could go another 500 miles I think. But the rear is still looking very good, about 3/16" of tread left. I had a friend say he goes through 2 fronts for every rear tire. Does that sound reasonable?
I never had a motorcycle do that. Hmm. I'm not complaining.
Without knowing detailed information it would be rather difficult to provide an accurate answer.
For example are you the original from the factory owner?
Reason: the previous owner might have changed tires at some point.
Are the tires on the bike the original Dunlops?
Reason: different brands may give different mileage.
Do you ride two-up or do you weigh 400+ pounds?
Weight can increase tire wear.
A bike that travels consistently in a high heat area is also exposing tires to searing road temperatures and may also increase wear.
As little as 10,000- 12,000 miles on a front tire and as little as 5,000-6,000 on a rear factory dunlop would not be unreasonable under mixed solo/two-up, mixed city/super slab riding.
There are riders that get significantly more miles with factory dunlops.
The front wearing before the rear would be rare unless you are doing some kind of trick riding.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,313 Likes on 861 Posts

I agree, it's odd to wear the front out before the rear. Regardless, replace it.

As for reasons, low air pressure, dragging front brake, bad wheel bearings, etc. Almost all of which can be checked by simply jacking the front wheel off the ground.

If the bike was purchased used, it may be a red herring, as the rear may have already been replaced.