Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered Floorboards from TallBoys

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by dante81_98
I think they must have changed some things. Basically the holes just don't line up between the rear kury bracket and the tall boy bracket. The fronts work fine but the rear on both sides are off. You can kinda see in the pictures. The Kury brackets are pretty straight forward too. There is only one way that they can go on knowing that they go 1 forward and 1 out. So its pretty difficult to mess them up. That being said, I did try pretty much every combination I could to see if I was just missing something and they didn't fit in any configuration.

They also changed that left side bracket. Now it is rounded off for clearance. They must have seen that you and others were having to cut that corner off so now they take care of it from the start.
Gotcha. Yeah, that hole is so far off I don't think I would grind away that much material. I guess I would fit the boards without the 4588s and see what makes contact where and decide if I can take the extra material off.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:37 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 997 Likes on 593 Posts

I had the Tallboy brackets on my bike with the VTwin Goodies spacers and I would scrape brackets (not boards, the actual bracket) during very mild turns. Wasn’t safe so I removed them. That and they weren’t even. The right one was noticeably higher in the front than the left one and I couldn’t remedy that issue no matter what I did.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I had the Tallboy brackets on my bike with the VTwin Goodies spacers and I would scrape brackets (not boards, the actual bracket) during very mild turns. Wasn’t safe so I removed them. That and they weren’t even. The right one was noticeably higher in the front than the left one and I couldn’t remedy that issue no matter what I did.
I've said in other threads, no way I would use spacers between the frame and Tallboys. That would make the bike touch down way early. That's why I use the 4588s.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:16 PM
dante81_98
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nevada72
Gotcha. Yeah, that hole is so far off I don't think I would grind away that much material. I guess I would fit the boards without the 4588s and see what makes contact where and decide if I can take the extra material off.
Well I have to eat some crow here. Turns out I was doing it wrong. Had the front and rear brackets switched. Got it installed and it feels like it is just what I was looking for. What did you do about the set screw on the front bracket? They are made to make contact with the factory bracket but the way the tall boys are it wouldn't make contact so the front of the board kinda pivots a little. I was able to get most of it out by really tightening things down tight but will probably have to figure something out to make it a bit more sturdy.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:46 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by dante81_98
Well I have to eat some crow here. Turns out I was doing it wrong. Had the front and rear brackets switched. Got it installed and it feels like it is just what I was looking for. What did you do about the set screw on the front bracket? They are made to make contact with the factory bracket but the way the tall boys are it wouldn't make contact so the front of the board kinda pivots a little. I was able to get most of it out by really tightening things down tight but will probably have to figure something out to make it a bit more sturdy.

I've eaten so much crow I actually like the taste so you're in good company. Main thing is it works.

On the set screw, it's been 4.5 years since I installed everything and honestly, I don't remember the set screw. My bike is in storage for another 2 weeks so I can't take a look either. However, I can say that I have my boards super loose, which I like. As I recall, I replaced the hardware with my own and used Nylocs to hold everything together. I also have aftermarket boards as you can see in my pics, so maybe that changes things. Even as loose as I have them (so they hinge easily upwards if I were to drop it) they will support my full standing weight. There's no sag at all.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by wooly1
I have the Tall Boy kit, these are the only pic's i have at the time. and i really like them,have had no problem on lean dragging. and yes 2'' forward and drops rear board 2 1/2''. had them about 2 yrs now. Ya i know the price is high but so is everything else for these bikes.
I grind stock floorboards in the lowest position. I cannot imagine not grinding these even when thinking about turning.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 03-19-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, to throw a wrench in the whole deal, I took the Tallboys off years ago. I just couldn't get used to the brackets being lower, and the additional scraping. I'm by no means a pro, but I've taken some advanced classes, and I make some fairly tight turns. Especially two-up, lot's of scraping going on. I ground down the outboard edge of the Tallboys brackets, and that helped, but not enough.

I also could never get them even from the Left side to the Right side...just bugged me.

My current setup is stock Harley brackets, Kury brackets, and Harley Extended Floorboards.

That gives me 1" out, and 2" forward. It's not perfect, but with the Police seat which moves me up and back, it's doable with my 36" inseam.