Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC and decat performance with stock mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Tennblue
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC and decat performance with stock mufflers?

Have a 12 Ultra Ltd with the 103 engine. Bike is stock, no mods. Just bought a head pipe to do the decat procedure and install. Will keep my "factory" catted pipe "just in case". My main reason for doing the cat is heat. I live in Florida part time, and it's hot enough WITHOUT the cat heater frying my thigh and leg...

Read all the threads about decatting (whew!). Many say it makes the stock slip-ons louder. I don't need a loud bike, but would like a little more sound. Gonna see how it sounds with the decat, before I buy new mufflers.

Also plan on getting a pv to get away from the factory lean condition. This is my daily driver, and not looking to make a race bike out of it. I have an R1 Yamaha in the garage for going fast...
But....

On the fence about an air cleaner mod. For the minor cost, and since I will need to map the tuner anyway, should I include a big sucker or similar air cleaner?

If I stay with the stock exhaust, would that choke any intake improvements the ac would make? Or is there enough "flow" with the stock slip-ons (especially with the decatted pipe) to make the air cleaner worth it? Again, really just looking more at better response than ultimate power....

If I do end up going with new slipons (maybe the old screaming eagle pipes or similar? not too much more sound...), would do the ac then for sure, but is it a waste with the factory pipes?

And before anyone suggests, yes, I will be calling Jamie at Fuelmoto for the pv and map.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

if you open up the exhaust- yet stay with the stock air cleaner you will have little effect on power.

the stock air cleaner flows about 140 CFM.

the Ness big sucker is an easy install ( the throttle body brace stays in place) and mine cost under $120 shipped ( ebay- easternpc). make sure you get the chrome backing plate version- nothing looks worse against the black and chrome motor than a cast grey air cleaner attached at the heads
for flow, The Ness flows about 250 CFM

instead of a piggyback tuner, I use nightrider.com XIEDS. about $130.

they do everything I want. I have no plans for cams or headwork. these now have 3+ years on them and should last the service life of the bike. ( in essence my fuel mixture is about 8% richer that it would be under most conditions ( part throttle, cruising), the rev limit and ignition timing are unchanged and as determined by the ECM)

so there is a low-buck approach to a stage 1. ( my stage 1 ran about $450) and generally a stage 1 is good for 7 to 10 horse power...you'll be around 80 HP.

good call on reusing the stock mufflers with the new header. some of the guys are quite happy with that combo. and a nice money saver

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Your sound will increase as well as top end performance (seat of pants). My 96" showed signs of increased lean condition even before the AC install. I, just like Mike went with the XIEDs until I started to experience pinging and required a device that allowed me to alter timing (PCV). I've learned since then that the maps used on many fuel managers not only increase fuel in strategic areas, but decreased stock fuel as well. XIEDs increase fuel in the loop where 02s are most prominent (closed if memory serves). I would use them until they no longer do it for you, but at the highest setting (max fuel which is deceptive because the plugs still showed a lean condition on my motor even when using them). Hindside being 20-20, i would have put the $130 towards the $299 the PCV cost me, but we all have to learn on our own.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:37 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

My Son has a 2012 Road Glide Ultra that has a de-catted head pipe, all else is stock and
his Wife and Him ride it all the time down in California. They like the lower heat from the
exhaust, and it runs and sounds great with no problems.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 886 Posts

I found from experience with my 2012 that you will hear a little more sound without the cat but it won't be noticible to anyone else. The reduction in heat is amazing though! They say the cat doesn't restrict exhaust so you really don't need to let more air in until you let more air out. That being said, I also read the air filter is a bigger restriction than the mufflers. I second getting a tuner not a piggy back so you can remap timing as well as mixture. Joe

Old 03-04-2014, 01:21 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuelmoto.com - IF you only plan on doing exhaust & AC their micro-tuner is the perfect solution.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Already went down this road.

Passenger complained that her right ankle was getting cooked, and turning red. I did not like the furnace like heat from the exhaust.

Switched out pipes for decatted stock pipes (kept the catted pipe…just in case).

Bike ran cooler, stock slip on's got just a little louder, mellower and deeper. Just right for me, especially on longer trips where my ears started to ring with loud aftermarket pipes.

Since cats were gone, adding fuel was easy. Put on Vied's and set them per nightrider suggestions. Bike ran great, sounded great, no more crazy heat, and G/F now rides all day with a smile on her face.

Later I upgraded air fiter to fuel moto. Nightrider gave me new dial settings, and in 5 minutes I was back on the road. Air filter did not make a lot of difference, but at higher revs it made better power, and pulled stronger. (Worth the money to me).

Bike now runs much better than stock. Pulls better away from lights, pulls lower in the revs, does not require as much downshifting, pulls stronger riding two up and fully loaded, sounds better, and just makes me happier cruising down the road.

Some want to go to better electronic tuners, but having used Vance & Hines tuners before, this Vied cost less, is simpler, and helps the bike run great.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennblue
Have a 12 Ultra Ltd with the 103 engine. Bike is stock, no mods. Just bought a head pipe to do the decat procedure and install. Will keep my "factory" catted pipe "just in case". My main reason for doing the cat is heat. I live in Florida part time, and it's hot enough WITHOUT the cat heater frying my thigh and leg...

Read all the threads about decatting (whew!). Many say it makes the stock slip-ons louder. I don't need a loud bike, but would like a little more sound. Gonna see how it sounds with the decat, before I buy new mufflers.

Also plan on getting a pv to get away from the factory lean condition. This is my daily driver, and not looking to make a race bike out of it. I have an R1 Yamaha in the garage for going fast...
But....

On the fence about an air cleaner mod. For the minor cost, and since I will need to map the tuner anyway, should I include a big sucker or similar air cleaner?

If I stay with the stock exhaust, would that choke any intake improvements the ac would make? Or is there enough "flow" with the stock slip-ons (especially with the decatted pipe) to make the air cleaner worth it? Again, really just looking more at better response than ultimate power....

If I do end up going with new slipons (maybe the old screaming eagle pipes or similar? not too much more sound...), would do the ac then for sure, but is it a waste with the factory pipes?

And before anyone suggests, yes, I will be calling Jamie at Fuelmoto for the pv and map.

Getting a hi flow Air Cleaner will help you. You will need some sort of fuel enrichment (it seems you have that under control with Jamie at Fuel Moto). You can see which air cleaners we have to offer at this LINK.

Also, allow me to suggest the thunder torque inserts for your pipes. You might find these give you a bit of a deeper sound and a nice little boost in torque as well. CLICK ME

Below is a very popular Air Cleaner that we have to offer, Kevin (boss man) is currently running it on his bike. ( the back plate comes black, in this picture it was painted to match with the tins on the bike...)

Support@DKCustomProducts.com