Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How do you know

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 05:29 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default How do you know

Since I was 18 years old, I have been on a 2 wheel motorcycle. Last August, I was on top of the world with 91K miles on my 2015 Limited until I wrecked it on a hill when it started drifting backwards and I could not keep it vertical. When I got my bike back and took it out for a ride, my body aches. My hips hurt, my shoulders hurt, and so is this how it happens? Is this when you start looking at a 3 wheeler or will the osteoarthritis keep me from riding altogether?

The following users liked this post:
HD Gramps (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 05:44 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,872 Likes on 6,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Since I was 18 years old, I have been on a 2 wheel motorcycle. Last August, I was on top of the world with 91K miles on my 2015 Limited until I wrecked it on a hill when it started drifting backwards and I could not keep it vertical. When I got my bike back and took it out for a ride, my body aches. My hips hurt, my shoulders hurt, and so is this how it happens? Is this when you start looking at a 3 wheeler or will the osteoarthritis keep me from riding altogether?
Your old just like many of us. A trike is one option. May want to try some stretching exercises, weight strengthening exercises and ride a little more to see if the memory muscles come back into line. Sometimes we try to do too much too fast when we need to do an hour of riding first, then 2 hours, and go from there.

I needed to lose my 900 pound ultra glide as it was getting too heavy for my knees. Went to a trike, different ride but fun. Still have a couple of lighter 2 wheels that I have no issue with.

You may want to try a different seat and or a different set of handlebars to relieve the shoulder issue.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

The following 4 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
2AMGuy (03-29-2022), RFG7680 (04-02-2022), TOHOG (03-30-2022), touchdown (03-31-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 05:47 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I knew it was time when I couldn't hold the bike up with both of us riding. I went several years riding solo and started straining to keep it upright solo too. Came in one day, wife said alright, enough is enough, I want to go with you so it's time. Next day I ordered a Tri-Glide, 3 months later and never looked back. I miss my 2 wheels but nice thing is, I gave it to my son and I can ride it anytime I want/need to. He even keeps it in my garage during riding season, big bonus for me, I do put some miles on it solo.

The ride on a trike is not as nice as a softail but, it can be made to ride nicer/easier with a little work, ie $$ thrown at it. It is nice though to not have to worry about stops!

Clint44 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 06:16 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 715 Posts

You don't mention your age so I can't suggest it is time for 3 wheels.
For me the day came when I went to put out my leg and it didn't go and the bike fell over.
I sold that 2 wheeler and didn't ride again for 2 years.
When I got the urge again to ride I looked for a Freewheeler instead of the tri glide.
I had in the past owned 2 tri glides and wasn't ready for one.
The steering on the tri glides wore me out. Freewheeler steering is easier for me on the upper torso.
If you still want to ride and don't feel comfortable on 2, then 3 wheels may be your answer.
I enjoy my FW just not quite as much as I did 2 wheels.
There are some deals on slightly used trikes. Mine had only 277 miles.

priell3 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 08:18 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,728 Likes on 5,228 Posts

I went a different route for different reasons but no shame in having to adapt. Paid your dues.

Firebike32 (04-02-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:02 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

All I can say is, Welcome to our world!

The following 3 users liked this post by fmgsr:
Clint44 (03-30-2022), Oogie Wa Wa (04-14-2022), Siuuplink (04-01-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:22 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FrozenInTime
I knew it was time when I couldn't hold the bike up with both of us riding. I went several years riding solo and started straining to keep it upright solo too. Came in one day, wife said alright, enough is enough, I want to go with you so it's time. Next day I ordered a Tri-Glide, 3 months later and never looked back. I miss my 2 wheels but nice thing is, I gave it to my son and I can ride it anytime I want/need to. He even keeps it in my garage during riding season, big bonus for me, I do put some miles on it solo.

The ride on a trike is not as nice as a softail but, it can be made to ride nicer/easier with a little work, ie $$ thrown at it. It is nice though to not have to worry about stops!
This^^^^^

Old 03-30-2022, 07:31 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
You don't mention your age so I can't suggest it is time for 3 wheels.
For me the day came when I went to put out my leg and it didn't go and the bike fell over.
I sold that 2 wheeler and didn't ride again for 2 years.
When I got the urge again to ride I looked for a Freewheeler instead of the tri glide.
I had in the past owned 2 tri glides and wasn't ready for one.
The steering on the tri glides wore me out. Freewheeler steering is easier for me on the upper torso.
If you still want to ride and don't feel comfortable on 2, then 3 wheels may be your answer.
I enjoy my FW just not quite as much as I did 2 wheels.
There are some deals on slightly used trikes. Mine had only 277 miles.
I will turn 77 in a couple of months.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:38 AM
solo_fl
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I feel you, for me, I went out and got a crossfit membership (nvr been into this, I'm old school) and it has really revived me at my age. I really noticed the results after this weekend when I dug out all my tree boxes, turned the soil and mulched. Normally that would take the wind out of me and I would literally be out of commission for half a week. I didn't even break a bead of sweat. I feel more confident in holding up my 826Lbs Street Glide. I don't know if you have that ability, physically, but if you can, that will get you back on your feet. But if you have physical limitations, don't try and push your body, it knows!!! Maybe in that case a trike will still keep you in the motorcycle spirit.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:52 AM
priell3
Road Master
Received 1,800 Likes on 481 Posts

Our HOG chapter has equal parts 2 and 3 wheel riders. The mind wants to ride, the body not so much.

davekp (03-30-2022)

Quick Reply: How do you know