Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 07:42 PM
Stogey65
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Glide Check Engine

I have a 2012 Tri Glide Ultra Classic, that I call TriPod, that I bought 2 years ago. It had 4,000 miles on her and now there is 11,000 miles on her. I had the 10,000 mile service done by a very reputable Harley Mechanic and she was running great. I just came back from a 5 day trip and I might have done a bonehead move. I used the reverse to back up an on ramp to avoid a traffic tie up. I did it in short bursts but at least one of those was about 30 feet. Now when I try reverse it just clicks and I have a check engine light. I reset the breaker and still no joy. We just moved down to Gonzales County and I don’t have a mechanic I know/trust here. I am a retired engineer and can do maintenance like changing the tires out and balancing them or even some electric repair if I need to replace the reverse motor or do the rebuild. Would like to take it to a reputable mechanic locally to get a diagnosis about the engine check light as this symptom doesn’t appear on the troubleshooting charts when losing reverse. By the way, I’m 66, retired and have very bad knees so sometimes reverse is a must. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Gary

Old 10-09-2023, 09:11 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,536 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Well, as the saying goes "hindsight is 20/20" and I'm sure that you now know that abusing your electric reverse (and battery) was a bad error.

That said, it's likely that you will may need a new battery and/or rebuild or replace your electric reverse motor (or have it done).

As for the "check engine" light is concerned, I'd start by first disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery cable at the battery and leaving it disconnected for a few minutes then reconnecting it and then also checking the POSITIVE terminal bolts to make sure it's tight.

Then try starting your engine and see if starts as it should and if the "check engine" light returns.
Once the engine is running, check that your volt meter has a higher reading than 12 (or so volts) and if not you should have the battery (and the charging system) checked for proper voltage.

The following users liked this post:
Stogey65 (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 09:17 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,651 Likes on 6,928 Posts

1. Check for engine trouble codes.
2. If you have codes, find out what they mean.
3. Check here: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html
4. You may need to charge your battery.
5. How old is your battery?
6. You may want to remove the battery and get it load tested after charging it. Make sure you get the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and compare it to what the battery is rated for.

Old 10-09-2023, 11:16 PM
Stogey65
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Well, as the saying goes "hindsight is 20/20" and I'm sure that you now know that abusing your electric reverse (and battery) was a bad error.

That said, it's likely that you will may need a new battery and/or rebuild or replace your electric reverse motor (or have it done).

As for the "check engine" light is concerned, I'd start by first disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery cable at the battery and leaving it disconnected for a few minutes then reconnecting it and then also checking the POSITIVE terminal bolts to make sure it's tight.

Then try starting your engine and see if starts as it should and if the "check engine" light returns.
Once the engine is running, check that your volt meter has a higher reading than 12 (or so volts) and if not you should have the battery (and the charging system) checked for proper voltage.

The battery is only 6 months old so I think it may be good but I’ll get it checked. I’ll definitely try the reset by disconnecting the negative cable and check the connections. It starts great and runs fine and the engine light didn’t show up until about 2 days after I got home. I appreciate your response and will press forward with this. This forum has given me a lot of answers to obscure questions.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:52 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

One thing to do is make sure the breaker is reset by tripping is totally and resetting it from there. Sometimes the breaker gets stuck in between.
Another thing to check is the wiring to the motor. Sometimes it gets a loose connection.
Be sure what that check engine code is for. It may not be anything wrong with the reverse motor. But find out what that code is for.
One thing to remember also when you use the reverse, let the trike roll reverse for a couple feet to make sure the drive from the motor is backed out from the ring gear before you move forward. Even if you just rock it most times it will back it out. The trike will roll freely forward when it is free in the gear. If it is engaged when you take off you will throw the motor apart inside, or even sometimes break the housing mounting the motor.

Last edited by sloufoot; 10-10-2023 at 02:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stogey65 (10-27-2023)