Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

'09 & '10 Touring Model Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=TheJimer;6128917]
Originally Posted by oldmsocko
The article also did state:

"The Tarrant County medical examiner ruled Story died on impact and not in the fire, but that determination is preliminary, police said."

Regardless how it turns out I certainly feel for his family. My quess would be if the officer hit the school bus he would have been thrown clear.[/quote]

Mike, the officer may very well have been thrown off his bike upon impact but not necessarily thrown clear of the fire that resulted. If I remember correctly; one gallon of gasoline dropped from an elevation of one foot will create a 6 foot diameter spill. The radius of the spill increases proportionately with the quantity of gasoline and the height from which it is released.

If the officer’s 6 gallon tank was full, theoretically he could have been ejected into 90 foot fiery circle. My calculations assume that all 6 gallons were evacuated immediately upon rupture. If the tank did not totally rupture and only leaked small amounts of gasoline on to the hot engine; your speculation that he was thrown clear of the inferno could very well be correct. In reviewing the video footage, I don’t see any visible signs of charring on the school bus; therefore, I suspect that your conjecture is correct.

In either case, the results were tragic and one can only hope that some lessons are learned to prevent future occurrences.

Jim: Very good information you supplied. I'm just not one that will automatically assume that this poor officer died because of the HD safety recall. Question, should the police department have pulled the MC out of operation until the repair was made?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=oldmsocko;6129394]
Originally Posted by TheJimer

Jim: Very good information you supplied. I'm just not one that will automatically assume that this poor officer died because of the HD safety recall. Question, should the police department have pulled the MC out of operation until the repair was made?
Mike; I agree, I think that the safety recall played either no part or very little part in the officer’s demise! Unfortunately, I’m not so sure that some jury will see it that way. I’m not trying to make light of this very serious tragedy but it’s much like the old “chicken or the egg” argument…which came first…death due the collision or the fire? The only thing that is not in dispute is the position that Harley’s legal team will be arguing!

As to the question of should have the P.D taken the bike out of service until the recall was complied with…I honestly don’t know the answer to that one and I guess I could go either way on this one; especially considering that I have now officially received my recall notice but have not complied with it yet; but I still continue to ride! Shame on me for not having my priorities straight!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I have no clue how you are handling this. I've spent the past three months going from Doc to Doc with a pancreatic cancer scare and it has shaken my world. Fortunately and finally the tests came back negative but it is the "not knowing" that takes your wind.

snip...
I'm so happy your tests finally came back negative... Yes, I agree, the three months going from Doc to Doc can definitely 'shake your world'...

For me during the beginning of the year, my way of 'healing' was going for a ride on the TriGlide even if it was only 20 miles...

For Mac it's been 4 months, 4 days - he's not the same person (physically), some days being really tough for him...

The bad part is the facility itself - I'm really tired of complaining about the many things - an example is today just before lunch... I walked into the facility through the rehab room - Mac was finished doing some rehab so I walked with him back to his room - I had seen a maintenance man come out of either Mac's room or the room just before his... I didn't think anything of it but I went to walk into the room ahead of Mac...

I was ticked off -there on the floor (entrance just inside the door to his room) was a patch of water, so I thought, - at least 6" wide and a foot long or bigger... That is so dangerous for a person using a walker... Guess what: It wasn't WATER - it was WD-40...!!!

Yes, WD-40 - maintenance man was repairing the handle on the door and left it like that - GIVE ME A BREAK...!!! But it's basically my fault - by saying anything I'd get the other patients and family members upset...!!!

I don't even want to think of what would have happened to Mac if he had walked in before me...

Remember, it's my fault... Really, don't know how I'm doing it - mentally, I'm a wreck...

Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Wizzard....so sorry that you have had such a rough 3 months! So GLAD it wasn't cancer.

Cubbear.....I personally want you to know that I think of you often and of course Mac. If you need to vent, rant or just talk, I am sure I speak for all of us here...you go right ahead and do that! You need to take care of yourself also. Tell Mac we are thinking of him. Sorry that your TG is gone. I have a feeling that bothers you a great deal. Such wonderful memories.

cyber hugs,

Joan

Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The recall takes 18 minutes. I read an earlier post about rider's not wanting to get the recall completed due to dealer's scratching their tank's. READ the text. This was a voluntary recall, not mandatory. HD does year round testing in Naples, Fl and Phoenix to make their products safe. Take your bike or trike to the dealer and get the recall completed. It is at no charge to you and is a benefit. This department did not and suffered the concequences. Shame on you.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Yeah I know this thread is two years old.

Writing because my '10 is leaking at the front bracket. A slow, slow leak but drips down on the rocker boxes so certainly not safe. The warranty is over (as of October) so thinking I have no other option than buying a new tank. Of course given it is a CVO, I'm fearful the new tank will set me back close to $2K.

Am taking it to the dealer this week and see what they are willing to do but no faith that will work.

Have contemplated trying to fix with JB Weld or a similar product but given where it is, not sure that is even doable.

Either way, unless I can find a sealant fix, guessing I am looking at 6-8 weeks without a bike.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by steelhead

Writing because my '10 is leaking at the front bracket. A slow, slow leak but drips down on the rocker boxes so certainly not safe. The warranty is over (as of October) so thinking I have no other option than buying a new tank. Of course given it is a CVO, I'm fearful the new tank will set me back close to $2K.

Am taking it to the dealer this week and see what they are willing to do but no faith that will work.

Have contemplated trying to fix with JB Weld or a similar product but given where it is, not sure that is even doable.

Either way, unless I can find a sealant fix, guessing I am looking at 6-8 weeks without a bike.
You could try crabbing to customer service, they might help you out. I know their customer service at Harley Davidson has been the pits lately but smaller miracles have happened.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

so..... does this mean that the 2011 TGs are NOT covered by this recall?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by steelhead

Take the SG to a dealer. The tank support is a recall not a warranty issue. Play dumb and let them fix the take as part of their safety recall.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
so..... does this mean that the 2011 TGs are NOT covered by this recall?
You are correct the 2011 and later are not covered by this recall.