Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Dealer does everyone's 1000 mile?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Not sure I understand the logic. Drop $35,000 for a trike (you can substitute car, boat, etc.) and cheap out on the first inspection?? We also have a great dealer out here. They have done the first oil change / inspection freebie for the 6 bikes we have bought from them. Service visits are usually under $300 and sometimes they find thing and fix them before they become a problem. I'm old, it hurts to crawl around on the garage floor to do routine services. Haven't done it for the cars in many years.

Good Luck

Old 02-16-2014, 11:22 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

I guess I just need justification to support Harley's labor charges when I have to fix things after they get done with their service.
Like the first thing they did & did it correctly by the way was the voltage regulator recall. Second thing was the 1000 mile service. Missed the only grease zerk on the whole Trike. Inspected the spark plugs which should have been done before delivery. If the gap changes or part of the porcelain breaks away there is something else wrong & they can charge it off to warranty, or better yet put it on your bill. After all if they do find anything wrong they are going to make the money. Check the drive belt, & check things like the torque on the rear wheels, ok I'll pay them for that (what 1/2 hr?) Takes almost 10 minn.
Then charge me $229 to put my own oil (all they carry is Harley oil) in & install one of their filters?? I found out later it was the wash boy that did the oil change. Didn't find anything wrong with that part.
Third thing was the update on the rear brakes. I had them put on pads that weren't theirs (Lyndall Gold) & that isn't the problem. They didn't even remove the paint from the new rotors & screwed up the new pads. Still trying to get the burnt paint off them.
I guess I just need to pay out the a$$ just because I own a Harley ??
I don't think so ! I'll continue to do my own services !

Last edited by sloufoot; 02-16-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
I guess I just need justification to support Harley's labor charges when I have to fix things after they get done with their service.
Like the first thing they did & did it correctly by the way was the voltage regulator recall. Second thing was the 1000 mile service. Missed the only grease zerk on the whole Trike. Inspected the spark plugs which should have been done before delivery. If the gap changes or part of the porcelain breaks away there is something else wrong & they can charge it off to warranty, or better yet put it on your bill. After all if they do find anything wrong they are going to make the money. Check the drive belt, & check things like the torque on the rear wheels, ok I'll pay them for that (what 1/2 hr?) Takes almost 10 minn.
Then charge me $229 to put my own oil (all they carry is Harley oil) in & install one of their filters?? I found out later it was the wash boy that did the oil change. Didn't find anything wrong with that part.
Third thing was the update on the rear brakes. I had them put on pads that weren't theirs (Lyndall Gold) & that isn't the problem. They didn't even remove the paint from the new rotors & screwed up the new pads. Still trying to get the burnt paint off them.
I guess I just need to pay out the a$$ just because I own a Harley ??
I don't think so ! I'll continue to do my own services !
AND if you have the physical ability and knowledge to do it, go for it. A lot of us here are OLD and don't have the lifts or tools or desire to do that anymore. Also too bad you have such a sh*t dealer. Our dealer carries Aims Oil, and Red Line along with some stuff I've never heard of. You are screwed if you need any warranty work and have no trust at all in the dealer.

Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for inputs
I am cheap...and I want to do the work I can do as part of the fun of my harley .
But do I need a documented dealer inspection? By someone who may not be a certified tech. That's all I'm thinking.
I'll probably take it in for the service ...but I won't like it. And if I find it isn't done right I will really not like my decision

Hap

Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
Thanks for inputs
I am cheap...and I want to do the work I can do as part of the fun of my harley .
But do I need a documented dealer inspection? By someone who may not be a certified tech. That's all I'm thinking.
I'll probably take it in for the service ...but I won't like it. And if I find it isn't done right I will really not like my decision

Hap
You shouldn't need any documentation from a dealer, you just need to keep receipts from the supplies such as oil & filter you used to perform the service.