Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
guitargeorge1964
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire choice

Hi everyone,
I have a general question about tire choice. I have always ridden standards and sportbikes for most of my live, except for a Yamaha Virago 700 I owned in the mid-80's. I figured out about 13-14 years ago that I preferred Michelin Pilots on my sportbikes. Now, I just bought my first Harley about 5 months ago, a 2008 FXDF Fat Bob. I've never ridden a bike that heavy before and although I love the bike, it feels as if I'm riding on rocks, and the back tire slides all over the place. It has the original Dunlops with just over 19,000 miles on it (it was 14,000 when I bought it). The back tire is getting low in the center and I'm going to replace both tires. I'm leaning towards the Michelin Commander II's because of the brand. Does anyone have a constructive opinion of them? How about Avon's, Shinko's, or Metzler? A guy at a local bike shop suggested I go with the Metzlers because they were cheaper. Cheap tires aren't exactly what I'm looking for. And I don't need a tire that last for 5 years if it's not comfortable. I've always replaced tires every couple of years of average riding.
Any constructive advice, backed up by why you prefer a particular tire is welcome. Thanks

Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the tires you mention are great choices. All of them will improve ride quality so much you will never go back to the stock tires.

I run Shinko tires for a few reasons. They perform as good as Pirelli, Avon ad the other big names and last a tad longer. The 777 is a great quality tire. The ME888s get great reviews from the few I have heard of. Pretty much pick a tire from the brands you listed. The ride quality will be so much better you will be mad for not ditching the stock tires sooner. They grip in full on rain storms better than the stock Dunlops did dry. Thats not an exageration either. I ride rain or shine every day of the year unless there is ice on the road so I know how the 777s handle. If the Shinko 777 is not your style then you will be plenty happy with the other brands.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I've used Avons on my Harleys since the 70s, so either use them or go with the Michelins, which you have experience of. All the major brands make suitable tyres, so narrow your search otherwise you will give yourself too many options!

Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Frist off, nice pick on FatBob! Maybe best handling Harley but still nowhere near a sportbike. Might want to check all your rubbermounts if the rear is squirrelly? I'm a dunlop guy just because they work well and are very predictable but Avon's seem to handle very good on Harleys. Metzler's seem to last longer but not as planted. I had some Michelin's on my sport bike and they were just scary! Same with the Pirelli's on my Tiger. I will will never have either again. It's been a while since I've run them but, Avon's would be my pick if you are after handing.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 10-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you ask about tires or oil you're going to get very different opinions. I had two sets of Avons then went with Metzler 888s a couple of months ago. The Metzlers feel like I'm glued to the road. Expansion joints, rain grooves etc. don't move the bike at all now. They also ride smoother in general.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 582 Likes on 273 Posts

My mechanic recommends Avon, o that is what I use.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,323 Likes on 8,412 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by guitargeorge1964
Hi everyone,
I have a general question about tire choice. I have always ridden standards and sportbikes for most of my live, except for a Yamaha Virago 700 I owned in the mid-80's. I figured out about 13-14 years ago that I preferred Michelin Pilots on my sportbikes. Now, I just bought my first Harley about 5 months ago, a 2008 FXDF Fat Bob. I've never ridden a bike that heavy before and although I love the bike, it feels as if I'm riding on rocks, and the back tire slides all over the place. It has the original Dunlops with just over 19,000 miles on it (it was 14,000 when I bought it). The back tire is getting low in the center and I'm going to replace both tires. I'm leaning towards the Michelin Commander II's because of the brand. Does anyone have a constructive opinion of them? How about Avon's, Shinko's, or Metzler? A guy at a local bike shop suggested I go with the Metzlers because they were cheaper. Cheap tires aren't exactly what I'm looking for. And I don't need a tire that last for 5 years if it's not comfortable. I've always replaced tires every couple of years of average riding.
Any constructive advice, backed up by why you prefer a particular tire is welcome. Thanks
Get the Commander II s, but make sure you don`t run them under inflated like you have with your Dunflops.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 PM
guitargeorge1964
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the advice. I got the Commander II's today. I'm sure I'll like them. I was halfway home and herd a lot of rattling. I pulled over and found that the nuts holding the exhaust bracket have worked themselves off.

...and my adventures of being a new Harley owner continue... Hahaha!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Red Eye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy tires

Bought a used Softail with worn out Dunlop 402s, rode for a year on them, then swapped them out for new Dunlop Elites.

Terrible tires. Very noisy, howling all the time, changing in pitch depending on the speed, but howl even on dirt roads. I thought it was belt, so I loosened the belt. Then I check the wheel bearings. Nope. Definitely the tires.

Three bands have developed on the rear, one around the center (crown) about 3 inches wide, and one flat band on each side of that meeting the chicken strips.

Also cupping seems severe.

Any replacement tire has to be better than Dunlop.

I will never buy Dunlop again.