Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FXDF new owner mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi11Bi11y
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 FXDF new owner mods

I have used this forum as a non member for a long time to do my own research, and thought it best if I started to report what I have found with my new 2013 Fat Bob.
--
1st of all, the stock mufflers are way too quiet. I tried to punch them out so they had a direct path from front to back, but that made almost no change, and I fear just created more turbulence.

I completely removed the stock baffles, and while quite loud, not too loud for my taste, just lost a bunch of lowend torque, and a bit more cackling and popping than I am comfortable with on my new bike.

I don't have a welder or metal shop at my house so I called BCT and ordered a set of the QQ baffles to put in the head pipe (took maybe 15 minutes). They did not make much of a sound difference, but the tone does seem to be a bit deeper now. We have had snow and now a bunch of rain, so Ill have to report on the butt Dyno another time.
--
I am a small Sasquatch, (6'3 350) and tried out the tallboy seat at a local dealer to try to stretch out the legs a little more, and while much more comfortable than the factory seat, I cant deal with the increased rider height. It just feels funny. I am putting a solo seat from the Street bob on, since it stays low, but should give me little more leg room.

--
also put on a set of Kuryaken mirror extenders so I can see behind me, since I got rear ended on my bike at exactly its 500th mile, they allow me so see behind me and past my big *** shoulders, and a tri bar LED tail light cause I hate the stock one, and the lady who hit me paid for it.

Sorry for the lame post, but maybe someone will find it useful someday.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Post some pics up man. I'm curious to see what those mirror extenders look like

Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Good start on the FB. Keep in mind that the collector has a cat converter in it, so just changing or removing the baffles doesn't do much. You'll need to either remove the cat (PITA) or replace the whole exhaust to get it to flow better,

Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I threw some Python Mamba slip-ons when I first got mine. Was way louder than stock. I liked the look of the Tommy Gun header so I stayed with those for a while.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM
toku58
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy an exhaust. I wasted my time with slip-ons. Take it from me, do it right the first time!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have used this forum as a non member for a long time to do my own research, and thought it best if I started to report what I have found with my new 2013 Fat Bob.
Obviously not enough research if that is what you decided to do with the exhaust. I realize money is tight, but not doing it right the first time will result in poor performance, sound, and more money. Leave it alone until you can do the full exhaust.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by toku58
Just buy an exhaust. I wasted my time with slip-ons. Take it from me, do it right the first time!
Originally Posted by rooti
Obviously not enough research if that is what you decided to do with the exhaust. I realize money is tight, but not doing it right the first time will result in poor performance, sound, and more money. Leave it alone until you can do the full exhaust.
Damn these guys sure said it right! Even if you buy used don't bother messing with your stock EX, just keep it on a shelf in case you sell the bike or eventually find a buyer for that original pipe.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am putting a solo seat from the Street bob on, since it stays low, but should give me little more leg room.
SB solo will not set you further back I have one of those. The only seat I've tried that seats me back about an " or 2 is the mustang vintage solo seat.