General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield height

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windshield height

I located the tip to shorten the windshield. My question: what is the proper height for a windshield, assume it must be below eye level? My UC came with the 15" windshield and when it rains, it is a bitch seeing the road.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM
HD Bones
Road Captain
Default RE: windshield height

Everyone has a preference but this worked for me. I searched and found different advice but liked this the best:

"Generally accepted practice is for the top of the windshield to be even with the tip of the riders nose. This allows the rider to look over the windshield, but not through it. Of course there are no hard and fast rules regarding this, so if you would like a different height, it’s perfectly acceptable." From the Memphis shades webpage via JP cycles.

http://www.jpcycles.com/Tech/Article...selection.aspx

I got a piece of plastic flexible tubing from Home Depot and filled it with water to make a water level. Sat in the bike slightly slouched as if I had been riding all day. Held the tubing up to my face so the water mark is at my nose. My son held the other end against the windshield and marked the windshield with eyeliner (it washes off)where the water level was. That's where we cut it - same level as the tip of my nose.

have fun!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
questor
Road Master

thank you! Great link and tips, you the "bones"!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Ben U

ORIGINAL: HD Bones
"Generally accepted practice is for the top of the windshield to be even with the tip of the riders nose.
My words to a T

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too agree with the height alignment roughly to the rider's nose. Note too that there are ways to manipulate the air stream coming off the windshield slightly to gain a couple more inches with respect to where the wind hits your head. Having a slight forward curve in the top inch or so of your windshield can throw the wind from your forehead to above your head without adding a taller windshield.

D

Old 06-13-2007, 03:24 PM
questor
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HD Bones

"Generally accepted practice is for the top of the windshield to be even with the tip of the riders nose.
Wife got a laugh out of "generally accepted practice", she said "the measurement is for normal people, not Italians withlarge 'schnozzles." She went on to say "with your 'schnozzle' it certainly isn't "generally accepted practice." IfJimmy 'Schnozzle' Durante put up with comments for years, guess I will continue to accept it.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:32 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

Damn, I love this site thanks for the tip. I really want to cut mine but was not sure yet on how to determine the height.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 PM
2kflhr
Cruiser

I would suggest tobuy acheap roll of1/4"pinstripe and place it on the windshield at each inch from the top edge and take it for a short ride to determine just how much you want to remove. I found thatthe top of the windshield should be about the level of your mustache/ upper lipwhen riding I don't have any wind buffeting and still get some protection. I also hated trying to ride in the rain and look throught the windshield.

Here's how I did mine;
I cut about 3" off of my Road King Windshield several years back. I covered the windshield with masking tape to prevent scratching. I marked were I wanted to cut with a magic marker on the masking tape and used a Dremel tool with Multipurpose Cutting Bit #561. I focused on one side of the windshield to get the correct radius. After I got the shape on one side I wanted I laid a piece of a laminated poster on the chrome horizontal brace of the windshield and traced the outer edge on the side I liked onto the poster. I then folded the poster in half, marked the opposite side of the poster so both sides would be identical. I laid it on the horizontal bar again and marked off the other side of the windshield, cut and shaped it to match the pattern. I smoothed the edges with a handheld belt sander, then a smooth file to dress it up. Once I got the edge true I used 80 grit, 180 and then 200 to finish the edges. It took all of thirty minutes and no can tell Its not a factory cut.

If your still not comfortable doing it yourself, I've heard you can take it to a glass shop to have it cut down and dressed for around $20.00.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
questor
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2kflhr

Once I got the edge true I used 80 grit, 180 and then 200 to finish the edges.

Step # 6 of "Cutting a windshield" recommends 320 grid sand paper. Tonight I visited Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears and ACE Hardware and 220 is finest.

Based on your recommendation, 200 should work fine.