General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,224 Likes on 3,815 Posts

Loud pipes rule. Always had them on my bikes and headers on my Camaros.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Fine, MY CAUSE.

There is noticeable, and there is being an ******* in a neighborhood. If you're the later, I hope you pay the price.

A helmet is common sense. Ask Gary Busey.
You want me to ask about "common sense" from a Crack Head ??

Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the nerds have nothing else to do!!!
Why not crunch the numbers of riders with low noise exhaust vs loud exhaust. Throw out the maniac riders & compare the stats.
I use my exhaust to alert the poor, the fools, the shouldn't be driving I'm on the road.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:18 AM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Fine, MY CAUSE.

There is noticeable, and there is being an ******* in a neighborhood. If you're the later, I hope you pay the price.

A helmet is common sense. Ask Gary Busey.
Using a helmet may well be common sense. Likewise, leaving people to choose for themselves what common sense means to them in a so-called free country is also a common sense idea. Forcing "common" sense at the point of a government gun seems extremely tyrannical to me though, and asking Gary Busey so much as the color of the sky on an unclouded day seems like proof positive that the questioner lacks any common sense at all, and that was true long before he cracked his head on a curb by doing a burn-out when leaving Bartels' Harley in Culver City, CA close to 30 years ago now.

If the answer is "Ask Gary Busey," somebody is asking the wroooooong questions.

Blues

Last edited by BluesStringer; 10-10-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 AM
str8shuutr45
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguyalso
And that's the whole point without a DB meter it is one persons "feelings" on how loud the sound is.... Actually there is more than just pointing a DB meter to determine loudness of a sound, distance from the vehicle and such...
Does "DB meter" stand for DOUCHE BAG meter?
I've been following this post for a while and since I live in NH I thought I'd add my $.02. The same people that want to ban loud pipes want to restrict free speech,guns, and anything to do with actually having personal responsibility. These DBs want everyone to conform to their "coexist" mentality. Whatever happened to individuality? If it doesn't fit your definition then it must be scary or dangerous, right? Leave my pipes, my speech, my guns, and my God alone. I don't f*@k with yours- don't f*@k with mine.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by str8shuutr45
The same people that want to ban loud pipes want to restrict free speech,guns, and anything to do with actually having personal responsibility.
And there it is. It's all about control. Total control. The weenies who want to strip America of her rights are ignorant concerning logic and reason. They are what is referred to as "low information parasites." A parasitic demographic reaping the benefits provided by a free nation, yet wanting to restrict our freedoms for their own agenda.

How does that mentality work out? Not too well. They know if they condition us to sacrifice Freedom 'A', that we'll be more inclined to sacrifice Freedom 'B'. Then we'll be grateful for them simply allowing us to breathe.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

So let me get this straight. We should all be able to do whatever we want to do, in a free nation? Can you say chaos!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:35 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks24
So let me get this straight. We should all be able to do whatever we want to do, in a free nation?
Anything that doesn't harm somebody else, sure. What compelling government interest is fulfilled by forcing people to run quiet pipes? You might come up with an interest that involves individuals who are bugged by loud pipes, but this country was never constituted so that the government should exert its considerable force to settle such trivialities between citizens. If I'm mistaken about that, please show in either the federal or any state Constitution that clause which proves it so.

Originally Posted by Sticks24
Can you say chaos!
Sure, I could, but it has no bearing on anything I said previously. I'm advocating that adults work things out between themselves and leave government out of taking sides by passing laws supporting one side of a dispute and forcing the other side with the threat of force to lose the argument. There will always be chaos that ensues when government tries to micro-manage disputes between free people. If only the people who agree with laws, as an example, against loud pipes are free to exercise their personal choices, then this country is decidedly not free, and that my friend, is what creates chaos in this constitutional republic.

If government must get involved, then do it on a case by case basis in civil court. That's the only constitutional way to settle minor disputes between citizens.

Blues

Old 10-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
Anything that doesn't harm somebody else, sure. What compelling government interest is fulfilled by forcing people to run quiet pipes? You might come up with an interest that involves individuals who are bugged by loud pipes, but this country was never constituted so that the government should exert its considerable force to settle such trivialities between citizens. If I'm mistaken about that, please show in either the federal or any state Constitution that clause which proves it so.

Sure, I could, but it has no bearing on anything I said previously. I'm advocating that adults work things out between themselves and leave government out of taking sides by passing laws supporting one side of a dispute and forcing the other side with the threat of force to lose the argument. There will always be chaos that ensues when government tries to micro-manage disputes between free people. If only the people who agree with laws, as an example, against loud pipes are free to exercise their personal choices, then this country is decidedly not free, and that my friend, is what creates chaos in this constitutional republic.

If government must get involved, then do it on a case by case basis in civil court. That's the only constitutional way to settle minor disputes between citizens.

Blues
I will be over tonight to set up my 14 piece drum kit, out in front of your house, to play all night. I am sure you won't mind.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM
e.nigma
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If one group can run loud pipes, shouldn't everyone be able to? So much for loud pipes save lives. Bikes will be drowned out in the cacophony of loude piles. Or do you think bikers should be a protected class, with special privileges. In which case, so much for equal rights under the law.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?