Sponsored by:

Handlebar Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Mr_King
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Handlebar Install Problem

Ok, I could not decide between the Yaffe or Twin Peaks 12" so I bought both and figured I would install myself, then choose. I could not believe the dealer was going to charge $1000 + parts for this install. Watched the YouTube video and had them on and working in 5 hours. That included swapping out the controls with lighted ones. I did not have to fight with anything and nothing was forced or had any issues.

Picked up my tools and went for a ride. Got an error code; TGS1, TGS 2 and correlation. So I figured I would simply take apart again re-adjust the bars to perfection and see what I might have wired wrong. Went through everything checking continuity through each wire with no shorts or opens. After an hour I gave in and went to the dealer. They said they never use the same Twist Grip Sensor (TGS) and gave me a new one, well $110. Got home to find the connector on the TGS is male, which should have been female like the oem. Went back to the dealer because the part number on the box was also labeled for a 13 or older. They said that it was the correct one because this one doesn't have the green plug that can be a problem and I now needed to change the connector on the bike to female. So I bought that Molex connector, cut the wires on the bike to make female. Guessed a bit on the wire colors because there are no instructions for the new TGS or Molex connector. SM didn't show TGS wire colors.

All the errors are gone but one, the correlation error, which I hopefully will figure out but it does not seam anyone else is having this kind of problem to add bars. Its also very confusing to change the female on one end while changing the male on the other all while the new TGS wire colors changed. WTF, I cant imagine the dealer actually does this to every bar install like they suggested.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Tbw

Here's a pic of my connector, did mine today. Maybe you mixed a couple wires up in the connector .

Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm.... I don't know what all them codes are you seem to be getting, but the ONLY thing I bought to swap my bars out was the NAMZ wire extensions. There is no changing ANYTHING on the bike itself. I have no idea what "codes" you are getting..??

Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

When I switched out my bars, I too put in a new TGS as I didn't want to try and feed the green connector past the meat hook on the YBB bars. I too had the same issue with the connector being incorrect but I bought new pins (the 14/15 pins are a different size than pre 13'), plugged the new pins into the old connector and it worked perfect for me - no codes.
I don't think the wires to the new TGS are a problem cause if they were, you would have no or backwards throttle response (friend of mine did that - at idle throttle he had full and full throttle the bike would idel)

Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Most people seem to change the connector on the TGS cable not the bike, but either way should work if you get the pin outs correct. See the thread below for reference.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html

Old 07-03-2015, 06:46 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I repinned mine 1000 miles ago when I did my 16's on the throttle side. Must have crimped too hard on one, because last week my check engine light came on and the bike went into limp mode. Got home and pulled the fairing, hooked up the PV and found the same correlation error code. Started my wiggle/pull test and one of the black wires pulled right out of the molex connector, it was severed. I have a complete deutsch connector service kit, so I ditched that stupid molex and pinned a deutsch connector on each side. As far as wiring, spend $60 and get a service manual with the schematics in it. You'll never regret it.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Come to think of it, I took notes down when i did the connector swap as to which wires go to which. It gets confusing because the cvo throttle has 2 of each red white and black wires, and you have to differentiate between the groups wrapped in yellow and the group wrapped in black shrink tube. I'll look when I get home and post the notes here to help you out.

Last edited by sixshooter; 07-03-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

How's this

Attached Files
File Type: doc
TGS Guide.doc (73.5 KB, 328 views)