Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

FATBOY oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM
ray
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FATBOY oil change?

Im getting ready to change the oil in my 05 fatboy.I know about letting it idle for 2 or 3 minutes etc.My question is how much oil
will it take to refill?I know some oil will stay in the sump so it wont take full amount that is stated in manual.Also should I replace
plug o-ring and use teflon tape on plug threads?My manual also says to check oil level with bike on side stand.Thanks in advance, Ray

Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FATBOY oil change?

Actually, when I do mine, I'm not going to idle it.. I'm going to ride it up to tempurature.
I think around 3 and 1/2 quarts, last I looked.

On the plug o-ring, I think (check svc manual) you inspect it and if it shows any damage, replace it.. I'd have one handy if you need one, there ya go. I don't think I'd use any teflon on it.

Let it thoroughly drain but yes unless you do a "5 qt oil change" or use something like the scavenger you won't get all the oil out of the crank. I got mine in the mail and am dying to get into my new garage so I can do the change with it. Gotta wait until November.

http://www.roguechopper.com/video-tcb.html

That's nice you don't have to sit on them straight up to check the oil now.. bout time.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:17 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you aren't going to do the scavenger thing, only put about three quarts in the tank, run the bike for a while then check the oil with the bike on the side stand. Even though the owner's manual calls for 3-1/2 quarts, putting that much in will overfill the oil tank. Unless it is damaged, I replace the o-ring about every third oil change and don't use teflon on the plug threads.

Now, removing the filter without getting oil all over the place, that's another story. You can cut the side and end out of a 2 litre coke bottle, slide it under the oil filter before removing it and it will keep most of the oil off the engine. This works a little better with the bike on the side stand.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Ah see... This kind of wisdom from experience is why we must respect our elders. hehe
I've not changed a TC88 before.. but did on my old evo.. but it looks like it will be potentially pretty messy at that filter.
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:34 PM
ray
Novice

thanks for the help! Ray

Old 10-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not put teflon tape on the threads. The drain plug has straight threads (no taper) and teflon tape will not be of any benefit. It may actually be a detriment if it gets in the way of the o-ring and keeps it from sealing properly.
I just looked at the website for the scavenger system. It is $60 for a Twin Cam engine. The most expensive piece is the nicely machined aluminum block that goes on in place of your filter. I can only assume that piece completes the "loop" from dirty side of oil filter to clean side and am not sure why you wouldn't just put a new filter on. Much like TCSTD recommends here......https://www.hdforums.com/m_95119/mpa...e/tm.htm#95119
Now, I guess if there was a concern of somehow putting dirty oil (????) through your fresh clean chrome oil filter, then my suggestion would be to install an AC/Delco or a Fram filter on for the scavenge process and accept the small amount of wasted oil that will go when you immediately remove the "cleanout" filter and install your fresh new chrome filter on....
This is the way I will do my next oil change. You can buy the plastic tool to remove the oil tank line from any auto parts store that sells tools. They are commonly used to remove quick connect type automotive fuel lines, etc.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Lonewolf
Novice

I see comments about not adding teflon tape, but what about plumbers puddy? I was at a dealer who said that is what they do! I tried it on my Fatboy, but noticed on the Transmission plug, it was hard to remove! I do not think it was crossed threaded, becouse I am careful about that! What is your opinion about this?

Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We're not paid to be engineers so let's not re-engineer the oil drain plug. The reason the plug is hard to remove is because of the dried on crap on the threads. That putty is designed to seal a pipe joint--and how often do you remove pipe joints?
Do what you like since it is your bike....I don't care if the dealer puts that crap on the threads or not. Hell, my dealer put teflon tape on the threads on my trans drain plug, tore the crap out of the o-ring, and left the plug loose.....maybe I should do that next time.

Not to be an ***, but hopefully you get my point.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Good points all actually.

Damn I love that SE fatboy! That thing is gorgeous.