Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel chop rear signals easy

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel chop rear signals easy

79 shovel chop. Was wondering if I could re install the rear signal lights off my tombstone tail light and some how wire it straight to the battery with a three way toggle switch so flip the switch left and left light blinks and so on. Is this a thing? I've never ran signals or a horn and I don't want to have hand controls on my bars. I'd like the toggle mounted so where else.

Any easy kind of temporary way of getting rear signals. My bike came with signals but wasn't wired for it so I took em off and just hand signal.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

If any one has done this please gimme directions cause I haven't a clue how to or if it would work.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

I've done that exact setup on a couple old shovels , you need to do a little digging to find the drilled out stand-off studs so you can run the wires internally and there's any number of small tear drop shaped lights you can use on them. Sorry no pictures , but it looks like somebody did that to that tombstone already.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

Yeah I got the lights. My question was can I wore it up right to the battery? Or can you tell me how you wired yours? I'm not sure if wiring directly to battery is doable and at what point do you add the switch to the circuit and should you add a fuse?

Any diagrams or anything? Lights I have, just need help wiring it simply. Only rear signals with no bar controls.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

If you want just running lights yes you can wire them direct to the light switch. Turn signals your going to have to have some kind of handlebar switches and wiring can go a couple ways depending on what you do there. Sorry but without more details on how your going do it I can't help any.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

I want rear signals that would be controlled by a toggle I'll mount by my seat so at night I can flick left and the left turn blinks,flip the toggle right and so on. Basically the same as having em on the bars but by my seat. My question is I got 2 wires going to the signals(1 wire each) can I just wore it to a three way switch and the to the battery.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmutley
I want rear signals that would be controlled by a toggle I'll mount by my seat so at night I can flick left and the left turn blinks,flip the toggle right and so on. Basically the same as having em on the bars but by my seat. My question is I got 2 wires going to the signals(1 wire each) can I just wore it to a three way switch and the to the battery.
You can wire it to a switch but you will have to have the wires going to a flasher to make them blink. The center wire to the flasher, the other terminal of the flasher to power and the right and left positions on the switch to the blinker lights

Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 AM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

Thanks. I'll find a flasher.