Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

breakout risers/cable extentions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default breakout risers/cable extentions?

hey breakout owners i have a few questions regarding adding the 1.5 riser ext.by the look of things it looks like i have enough slack in everything besides the upper brakeline...note i also have the trask moto bars which are 4.5 rise as well...one of my friends has a fat boy that he just put 12 inch moto t bars on with built in risers all he had to do is change brakeline.his total rise was 6.5 inches since he wasnt using stock risers..question is do the fat boy and breakout have the same length of cables stock?...my breakout is a 2015 abs model....thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails breakout risers/cable extentions?-hdforumbuild-001.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 02:17 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry but I dunno about the length of the upper brake line compared to that of a Fat Boy. But are u sure there's gonna be enough slack in the clutch cable with the total rise you're going for. I know of some guys reporting the clutch cable is very tight by only adding 1'' spacers to the stock risers. Throttle cables should be fine though.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

With stock dragbars and 1" spacers all cables work fine. I have some custom made slotted risers 1" longer than stockers and no issues at all. If I remember well you might install 1,5" or even 1,75" spacers but could need to cut some zip ties, it's a tight fitting. Imho 1" is a very good compromise considering that this 1" extra lenght is a slant increase, more or less divided equally in some extra handlebar height and pullback considering the triple tree angle of the BO they're supposed to be installed on. Just my.02

The following users liked this post:
Da-Rza 21 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
With stock dragbars and 1" spacers all cables work fine. I have some custom made slotted risers 1" longer than stockers and no issues at all. If I remember well you might install 1,5" or even 1,75" spacers but could need to cut some zip ties, it's a tight fitting. Imho 1" is a very good compromise considering that this 1" extra lenght is a slant increase, more or less divided equally in some extra handlebar height and pullback considering the triple tree angle of the BO they're supposed to be installed on. Just my.02
All correct, but what I understood is that he wants to add a total of 6'' (4.5'' bars + 1.5'' risers extension)...

Old 10-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EagleRay
All correct, but what I understood is that he wants to add a total of 6'' (4.5'' bars + 1.5'' risers extension)...
yea the more im looking at it the throttle will definitely get tight...its actually alittle tight just with the bars but no issues...wheres a good source of cables that can be bought with plus sizing?...seen magnum shielding nice but $$...

Old 10-26-2016, 01:41 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21
yea the more im looking at it the throttle will definitely get tight...its actually alittle tight just with the bars but no issues...wheres a good source of cables that can be bought with plus sizing?...seen magnum shielding nice but $$...
Just about everyone I've seen that get extended cables go with Magnum Shield. They are cheaper than going through HD and better build quality/options.

I have 1.5" riser spacers with all factory cables on factory drag-bars. The only thing that is tight is the brake line. The clutch and throttle cables have plenty of slack.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UHDhog
Just about everyone I've seen that get extended cables go with Magnum Shield. They are cheaper than going through HD and better build quality/options.

I have 1.5" riser spacers with all factory cables on factory drag-bars. The only thing that is tight is the brake line. The clutch and throttle cables have plenty of slack.
yea im gonna have to do trial and error to see what else is to short..remember i already am 4.5 rise with the bars so total will be 6.0 of rise...i did re route my stock cables to make work...i do know for sure tho that the brake line will have to be replaced for sure...its alittle stretched out at the moment

Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Da-Rza 21
yea im gonna have to do trial and error to see what else is to short..remember i already am 4.5 rise with the bars so total will be 6.0 of rise...i did re route my stock cables to make work...i do know for sure tho that the brake line will have to be replaced for sure...its alittle stretched out at the moment
Just curious, are the bars you have now closer to you than the stock ones? I'd like to keep the drag-bar look. But, even with the 1.5" spacers, the bars could come back about 2" for me to be perfectly comfortable.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UHDhog
Just curious, are the bars you have now closer to you than the stock ones? I'd like to keep the drag-bar look. But, even with the 1.5" spacers, the bars could come back about 2" for me to be perfectly comfortable.
i think thr pullback is nearly the same from stock drag bar...but with the 4.5 inch rise they do come back more...these trask moto bars have slight more pullback than stockers but not much

Attached Thumbnails breakout risers/cable extentions?-hdforumbuild-002.jpg   breakout risers/cable extentions?-hdforumbuild-005.jpg