Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my own breakout box connector help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Making my own breakout box connector help please

I have been having some electrical gremlins lately so I find myself need a breakout box to help diagnose the electrical problems that are arising. I am going to make my own and have read elsewhere some helpful things. What I am looking for specifically is exact what plugs-connectors do I need to come off of this thing? I have an old 25 line break out box that I am going to wire up for the HD connectors for these late model tourers. Whoever knows, has one, please chime in so I can get going down the right path of buying the connectors.

So if any of you know what all would be the right connectors I need, could also use within the 25 line capability this is what I am looking for.

After reading the EDM I am thinking this 5 break out boxes.
Breakout box HD-48642 is for the ABS my first need. Is this the 20 pin Molex connector? It is what seems to me to be the one.
Breakout box HD-42682 for the speedo and who knows where else at this point is 12 pin Packard. Correct?
Breakout box HD-48637 Pins? Connector? To Where?
Breakout box HD-43876 36 pin to the ECU? to many for breakout box do I need?
Breakout box HD-47918 for the radio 23 pin AMP (tyco) connector. Correct do I need?

Adapter harnesses
HD-41404-B a box of many adapters don't know all of the connectors.
HD-46601 seems to go from 20 pin Molex to a 12 pin Packard connector. Correct?
One of the HD-41404-B connectors is also a 2 pin Packard for the ABS sensors????

The break out boxes I have seen seem to be only 12 pin so they must be coming from the Packard and Deutsch connectors from what I can tell

Any and all help from you guys who use and diagnose these things would be the most helpful. You know is hard to get your hands on the Kent-Moore tools themselves and I do not need to spent that kind of money for one if I can just wire one up. If I can get all of the right info I will do a write up on this for the forum.

Post pics or email me any pics or info you can.
Thanks

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 01-28-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added email or post pics
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

bump to the top

Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

No help on this one?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What is a breakout box ?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Justintime
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Harley manual for my year does list connector types, if you have a manual you should be able to go to the manufacture websites to cross reference and order...I had to do this when I jacked up one of the Molex connectors.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
What is a breakout box ?
A breakout box is a device that you can plug a connection of wires into and out of so inline if you will. Then it gives you test ports to check voltage, continuity, ground etc. without having t stick probes into the wires are the prongs of the connectors to help you isolate electrical problems.

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 01-29-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If all you want to know is the specific brand and configuration of the connectors used in the various break-out boxes, the HD Electrical Diagnostic Manual will tell you which connectors on the bike the particular break-out box's leads connect to; the HD Service Manual will tell you the brand and configuration of the bike's connector(s) once you know which connectors are used by the break-out box; and, the HD Parts Catalog for that bike will provide part nos. for the connector/pins/sockets used for the relevant connector(s) on the bike.

If you have a decent relationship with the parts and service folks at your HD store, they will let you photocopy the pages you need for the information.

You don't offer any information on what books (EDM, HD Service Manual, or part books) you may have already or your access to them. I'm not a tech, but I've looked at the EDM's several times (and used the information there successfully) and they rely on the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) available from your bike, and also typically provide electrical values to determine if the circuit/part in question is acceptable or not to create the diagnostic protocols for tracking down electrical problems. Unless you have the DTC's, the test protocols, and relevant values shown by the break-out boxes, you can build break-out boxes and it may not be very useful to you.

As I mentioned at the beginning, if all you want to know are the specific connectors used by the various break-out boxes when connected to the bike, the information is readily available to you via your own EDM, Service Manual and parts books which you should probably have in undertaking the use of the break-out boxes.

If you don't have a parts book, this HD dealer has an online microfiche version; just use the check-out feature to get HD part nos.:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...idsonparts.htm

Sounds like an interesting project; hope you'll describe it in detail.

Carl

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by MyRide7
Sickbagger,
MyRide7 (Marty) here as far as making breakout boxes..I have had to make several over the years (Specialized for a host of communication equip, SAT, E911 etc) but this usually is a Bitxh as at time I have induced another problem into my "original" list of problems via the test set up. also I found that connections were ande still are an ongoing issue that is always a problem.
I began then purchasing the actual Breakout box when available which made the testing more reliable. Sorry I have been not help......good luck. MyRide7
Marty,
I figured you would have had a few under your belt, and I can see what you mean that they may invoke more issues when being homemade for sure. But I think I can do it I just need to figure out what connectors to really put into this thing. I have a pretty good idea and Dawg is going to check next week and let me know what connections he can see coming off of the breakout boxes so that will be very helpful.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If all you want to know is the specific brand and configuration of the connectors used in the various break-out boxes, the HD Electrical Diagnostic Manual will tell you which connectors on the bike the particular break-out box's leads connect to; the HD Service Manual will tell you the brand and configuration of the bike's connector(s) once you know which connectors are used by the break-out box; and, the HD Parts Catalog for that bike will provide part nos. for the connector/pins/sockets used for the relevant connector(s) on the bike.

If you have a decent relationship with the parts and service folks at your HD store, they will let you photocopy the pages you need for the information.

You don't offer any information on what books (EDM, HD Service Manual, or part books) you may have already or your access to them. I'm not a tech, but I've looked at the EDM's several times (and used the information there successfully) and they rely on the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) available from your bike, and also typically provide electrical values to determine if the circuit/part in question is acceptable or not to create the diagnostic protocols for tracking down electrical problems. Unless you have the DTC's, the test protocols, and relevant values shown by the break-out boxes, you can build break-out boxes and it may not be very useful to you.

As I mentioned at the beginning, if all you want to know are the specific connectors used by the various break-out boxes when connected to the bike, the information is readily available to you via your own EDM, Service Manual and parts books which you should probably have in undertaking the use of the break-out boxes.

If you don't have a parts book, this HD dealer has an online microfiche version; just use the check-out feature to get HD part nos.:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...idsonparts.htm

Sounds like an interesting project; hope you'll describe it in detail.

Carl
Carl,
Thanks you are right on target for sure. I do have all the manuals and I think I have the connections targeted pretty well. I just want to be sure as many are adapters and if I start off wrong then my assumed connectors would lead me down the wrong road. I have read through the EDM and built a flow chart of the connections I think it is calling for specifically for my ABS issue right now I just have not had the time to make this flow chart for all of the breakout boxes and that is why I was looking for the input as a shortcut. I will do a nice write up as there have been a few on other forums but they don't really specify which connectors.