Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike completely died while riding at about 45 mph, it lost all electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Bike completely died while riding at about 45 mph, it lost all electrical power

Yesterday afternoon while riding my 08 FLHTC E. G. Classic with the wife on the back we were on a busy four lane road doing about 45-50 MPH when the bike just died suddenly, it lost all electrical power and all the gauges blanked out, we coasted into a shopping center parking lot, parked and got off the bike, took the left side cover off and checked the maxi fuse, it looked OK, took the seat off and looked at the battery terminals, they were on and tight, checked a few other fuses, they looked OK, turned the ignition switch on and again no power whatsoever, called my sister who came and took us home, got mu p/u truck and trailer and went back to get the bike and trailered it home. The battery is only 17 months old or just under a year and a half, it might still have warranty, but I need suggestions on what else I need to check that might have caused this complete loss of all electrical power.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I blame the ignition switch. Very common. Wiggle it...see if it powers back up.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Check all connections for cleanliness and tightness(use dielectric grease).
Have battery load tested at auto parts store.

Get yourself a Harley Electrical Diagnosis manual.

or...........get it to an Indy or a dealer.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Veekness
I blame the ignition switch. Very common. Wiggle it...see if it powers back up.
I had the ignition switch replaced by an INDY shop a few years ago as it was causing issues as you describe, it's been fine except sometimes when I lock it it doesn't stay down and if you wiggle it you can turn it on while locked, I was told the switch **** might be wore out but I ain't looked into that yet.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM
kdin1
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
Check all connections for cleanliness and tightness(use dielectric grease).
Have battery load tested at auto parts store.

Get yourself a Harley Electrical Diagnosis manual.

or...........get it to an Indy or a dealer.

Make sure you check where the negative connects to the frame. Had similar problem on a Roadking and the connection at the frame needed to be cleaned.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Before you do anything else, check your battery voltage. First with key off. Should be about 12.5. Then with key on. Shouldn't drop below 12. If it doesn't pass these 2 checks, put it on a charger and check the battery/charging system. If it does, only then look elsewhere. Battery and charging system trouble account for at least 95% of the issues similar to yours.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser

UPDATE: It was the battery! I arrived home from work, took the seat off, took the ECM off the top of the battery where I would have access to the battery, took a volt meter, IT ONLY SHOWED 3 VOLTS, a good battery would have showed 12-13 volts. Took the battery off, took it to try and charge and load tested, it wouldn't take or hold a charge, this battery was only a year and five months old, they don't last long these days. I got a new battery, installed it and the bike fired right up and everything is back working like it should and the volt meter shows between 14-15 volts as normal which means it's charging. Glad the battery is all it was and nothing major.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:57 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by d_slat
Before you do anything else, check your battery voltage. First with key off. Should be about 12.5. Then with key on. Shouldn't drop below 12. If it doesn't pass these 2 checks, put it on a charger and check the battery/charging system. If it does, only then look elsewhere. Battery and charging system trouble account for at least 95% of the issues similar to yours.
Yes you were absolutely correct, that's the first thing I checked was the battery, and yes it was the battery! I bought that battery in March 2017, it was only a year and 5 months old, they sure don't last long these days.