Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 82 FLT. Need windshield help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
JoeJrTheBarber
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 82 FLT. Need windshield help...

Hey guys,

A few weeks back I picked up a bone stock/unmolested 1982 FLT and slowly I have been cleaning it up and making it look alittle better (atleast in my eyes). It seems after a few days of searching that everything starts around 1984 and up. Might be a stupid question but is their a difference from a 1982 FLT to a 1984 ?

I have been having a hell of a time finding a shorter than stock windshield for the bike. The one it came with is right around 17'' tall and I have always been a fan of the 4'' - 6'' shields on the fixed fairing bikes..

So, can anyone point me in the right direction ? Or am i screwed and going to have to chop down the stock windscreen myself ?

Thanks for any and all help...

JoeJrTheBarber
Chicago, IL

Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Joe and welcome to HDF from the UK. Your bike is much earlier than most of the bikes here in Touring, but we have a Classic forum as well, where you should find members with experience of your Shovelhead model. It's well worth calling in there to see if they can help.

It might also be worth calling in the Evo section, because your model continued into that era and we have a few experts on those models. You may well have to take a saw to your stock windshield, but don't do so until you can find another!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We have 'em...

Originally Posted by JoeJrTheBarber
Hey guys,

A few weeks back I picked up a bone stock/unmolested 1982 FLT and slowly I have been cleaning it up and making it look alittle better (atleast in my eyes). It seems after a few days of searching that everything starts around 1984 and up. Might be a stupid question but is their a difference from a 1982 FLT to a 1984 ?

I have been having a hell of a time finding a shorter than stock windshield for the bike. The one it came with is right around 17'' tall and I have always been a fan of the 4'' - 6'' shields on the fixed fairing bikes..

So, can anyone point me in the right direction ? Or am i screwed and going to have to chop down the stock windscreen myself ?

Thanks for any and all help...

JoeJrTheBarber
Chicago, IL
Hi Joe...please give us a call. We do still make shields for that model and could customize a shield to any height you'd like. Look forward to hearing from you....

Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a Clearview for my shield on the 82 FLT I had until recently. Great windshield, but a little thicker than stock so you will have to work with it a little more to get it installed. The fiberglass fairings on your shovelhead don't give much, not like the batwing fairing on my Ultra.
Just remember don't use windex when you get it. Novus 1 or water is about all I use.