Sponsored by:

Seat mod by mcc

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:14 PM
bobbymac57
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris57
I had a great experience with Mean City Cycles. I sent them stock street glide seat and It was quick and worth every penny. I would call them and let them know what you have found. They seem very accommodating
Glad you had a good experience with them. I did too....up until I pulled the cover of mine. I'm just shocked it wasn't done as I was told it would be. They have excellent customer service and the first mod was great. It just wasn't quite right for me therefore the additional mods. Once again I didn't start this thread to bash mcc
Guess I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:35 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbymac57
Glad you had a good experience with them. I did too....up until I pulled the cover of mine. I'm just shocked it wasn't done as I was told it would be. They have excellent customer service and the first mod was great. It just wasn't quite right for me therefore the additional mods. Once again I didn't start this thread to bash mcc
Guess I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.
You say you didn't start this thread to bash them, but you didn't bother to call them and discuss it with them before coming on to this forum and airing the dirty laundry? I think most people would at least get an explanation from them first.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM
bobbymac57
Advanced

You are probably right. I'm the D A that sent it back 3 more times expecting something different. Not really mad at them though as I do believe they were trying to make it right. Didn't call them this time because I had already committed to letting someone else try and as stated before not after a refund. More frustrated at not finding a seat that works than anything else. I will call them as a courtesy and let them know what I found and I will post their response. After talking with Alan it has become very apparent that I should have talked with them first. Even though there was no gel in the seat I do believe it was just an oversight. As I've stated before they have great customer service and I believe that they genuinely want to do what's right for the customer. I would not have any problem sending them my seat work. My apologies to all.

Last edited by bobbymac57; 07-01-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-30-2016, 09:39 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,372 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Just curious, but I have a LaPera Bare Bones that is hard as a rock and I can ride 100 miles on it, wouldn't want to do more. So not being able to do 80 miles is a bold statement for any seat.
Do you have a specific injury or area that you are trying to compensate for? The reason I ask, is I wanted a Gel seat and after talking with Allen (MCC) he suggested the double memory foam, not GEL. It's great for me and more importantly my wife is able to ride about twice as long as before.
If the sales slip said GEL, I would expect to see some GEL, however if it was about ultimate comfort I know he recommends memory foam.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 PM
bobbymac57
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSheff
Just curious, but I have a LaPera Bare Bones that is hard as a rock and I can ride 100 miles on it, wouldn't want to do more. So not being able to do 80 miles is a bold statement for any seat.
Do you have a specific injury or area that you are trying to compensate for? The reason I ask, is I wanted a Gel seat and after talking with Allen (MCC) he suggested the double memory foam, not GEL. It's great for me and more importantly my wife is able to ride about twice as long as before.
If the sales slip said GEL, I would expect to see some GEL, however if it was about ultimate comfort I know he recommends memory foam.
I couldn't do the double decker memory foam because it make the seat to thick. My inseam is only 30 inches so I have to be careful to not get it to high and that's why we were doing the gel. They kept changing the density of the memory foam thinking it was bottoming out on the pan and causing hot spots. I never really could tell much difference from one density to the other. It's to the point now where I'm considering buying a trike for the long rides so I can have a thicker seat.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I see no problem with your original post......
I think it's a positive that you come on here and say hey this seat didn't get done as thought with gel.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 PM
bobbymac57
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I see no problem with your original post......
I think it's a positive that you come on here and say hey this seat didn't get done as thought with gel.
Thanks. I was starting to feel like the bad guy because I had a different experience.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbymac57
I've had my seat off my limited low modified 4 times by mcc. With the exception of the first time when they did the super narrow mod I couldn't tell much difference in the seat when it would come back. They were always very friendly and eager to help make it right and the third time even paid the freight both ways. The fourth time it went in it was supposed to get a gel insert installed, but like I said previously when I got it back couldn't really tell any difference . I took it to a local upholstery shop this week and when he pulled the cover off to my suprise there was no gel insert. Now makes me wonder if they ever did anything to it other than the original mod. Sure wasted my time and money on this one. Really disappointed with mcc, hoping there is a good explanation of what's been going on because after dealing with them would never have expected this.
Hey bobbymac57 this is Allen the owner of MCC please contact me either at allen@meancitycycles.com or call me directly on my cell phone 828-302-3899 I do all of the actual seat work myself on every seat that comes into the shop and I go by what is on the order form and by what type of comfort issue the customer is experiencing. I do not have your order form in front of me so I do not know what happened here so please contact me. I do apologize for the mix up and I can assure there were changes to made to the seat every time it came to the shop. We do everything we can to make every customer happy and after the initial modification we do not charge a customer anything to make changes to the seat.

*EDIT*
After thinking about this for a while because it really bothers the heck out of me when someone isn't happy with their seat that we do for them. First, I am not mad at the OP at all for posting this but after thinking about this a while and thinking why in the heck wouldn't we have put a gel pad in and I have come to this conclusion so far and I haven't spoken to the OP yet but this makes perfect sense to me. He said he took the seat to another shop and that is fine, we don't have anything to hide. So OP stated they removed the cover and there was no gel pad. Yeah that is true, you remove the cover and you will not see the gal pad because it would be under two layers of foam if we did the Gel or Gel with memory foam. Since this seat was on the 4th trip back to the shop I wouldn't have done regular type gel pad install and we had originally done the Super Narrow modification which is reshaping and memory foam, then the seat came back 2 other times, first one for a density change, second one customer stated still having some issues and needed the cover repaired from a cat getting on the seat then the 4th time to add gel. So, instead of doing just adding the gel pad install which I do by countersinking the gel in the foam then putting a very thin layer of memory foam over then a smoothening foam over the entire sitting area. I would have removed all but a thin layer of memory foam, placed the gel layer on that then replace the memory foam that was removed so basically the gel pad would be right at 2"s under the foam so removing the cover, yes you will not see the gel pad because it would be under the foam. Most shops that install gel pads will either remove the cover and lay the gel pad over the top of the stock foam(very cheap way but people actually do this)or they will countersink the gel into the foam. Some will just put the cover right back on and others will put a thin smoothening foam over it. Doing them like this causes the gel pad to get extremely hot so I do not install gel pads like this, even when someone orders just a gel pad I always put two layers of foam over it to prevent it from getting hot. So, if this is how that shop installs gel pads then I could see why they would say there wasn't a gel pad installed. Sorry for the long post...just thought I'd explain things a little bit and I will wait for the OP to contact me from here

Last edited by BadX; 07-01-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:10 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,372 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Originally Posted by BadX
. So, instead of doing just adding the gel pad install which I do by countersinking the gel in the foam then putting a very thin layer of memory foam over then a smoothening foam over the entire sitting area. I would have removed all but a thin layer of memory foam, placed the gel layer on that then replace the memory foam that was removed so basically the gel pad would be right at 2"s under the foam so removing the cover, yes you will not see the gel pad because it would be under the foam.
That's what I was going to ask next. I had another seat done, before dealing with MCC and instructed the shop to do cut-outs below the foam so it wouldn't shift or heat up. Just because you don't see it immediately doesn't mean it's not there, somewhere.