2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best fuel management system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is the best fuel management system?

I just purchased a 2014 SGS and opted for the 4" Rinehart Racing Slip-ons, stock air cleaner and dealer flash. I would like to install a fuel management system but cannot see spending $500.00 for a Power Vision system just for a one-time use. The Vance & Hines FP3 seems to make more sense, but do they have maps for Rinehart systems? I love the look & sound of the Rineharts, but maybe I made a mistake and should have went with V&H? Any advice would be appreciated. (By the way....need to update my profile since I traded-in the Heritage) -Thanks!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

HERE is a thread that you might find very useful. It shows you your different options in different price ranges.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

It's not a one time use.

It is a lifetime of use.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can call V&H and they will tell you which map would come close and then you auto tune from there. My guess is the High Outputs will be the closest match to 4" Rineharts. Just load the closest map and let auto tune dial it it, it will run fine for just slip-ons. Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:39 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

I will add this caveat, because you seem to have a mis-understanding.....

most of the old tuners are "one time tune" because they need to be set up on a dyno, and if you change slipons like most folks change underwear,
you will need another tune.

my guy charged $175 for a summer tune (~95 degrees, 95% humidity) and he said that i would probably want a winter tune just due to the humidity being so much lower, so that would be another ~$175

that's basically the same as the dealer flash you got...money spent & money gone.

i would DEFINITELY go with an auto tuner, because you can just punch a button and it will re-tune your bike to TODAY's conditions, no matter what you change: weather, intake, pipes.

this is very true since you have the catalytic converter in the head pipe, and find a deal on a cat less pipe, you just auto tune it again.

the downside to the PV is that it goes with the bike when you sell it, i do not think you can "remove" the VIN from it, although you could buy another license if bikes were similiar.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
RevRaz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised he didn't talk you into a Spring and Fall tune too

Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I'm surprised he didn't talk you into a Spring and Fall tune too"[/QUOTE]

Or a Thanksgiving or X-Mas! (Sorry, too easy not to comment!) Asking "which tuner is best" will get you many different answers. It sounds like the dealer flash will be sufficient for your mods. Other than that it's just a matter of preference. Everyone will tell you that the one they are using is the best. Just the nature of the beast.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Tuners fall into the old "you get what you pay for" adage.

Only you can choose what is right for you.

You CAN do mods without modifying your tune. I've never heard of an engine blowing up or burning holes in the pistons from this.

Would I? HELL no. Won't run "right"... way too hot, pinging, etc...

Dealer flash? I did that once. Once.

NEVER again. Waste of money. Period.

Piggyback? (V&H FuelPak, etc.) Can be effective, Had one on my OL's old bike, ran good, good fuel mileage, no pop or ping.

Would I do it again? MAYBE on the OL's bike that we do AC and slipons to, and nothing else... ever.

For MY bikes, it will either be TTS or PV. I really prefer the PV2 with the handlebar mount. TTS was good to me, great tune, but I didn't like running the laptop in the tourpak while riding, hard drive and fan spinning... I almost bought a solid state laptop JUST for tuning.

I'm sure there will be others in the future that will fit for me, I'm not a fan of using my phone to tune, so the FP3 is out for ME.

The way I look at it... it's a 20 some thousand dollar bike, $500 on a tuner really isn't THAT much to spend.... and REALLY NOT the place to cheap out.

My 2 cents.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

The one I didn't mention is the Tmax type ECM replacements.

I just don't see the value, especially when the unit on the bike works perfectly.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 PM
oldpanzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Tuners fall into the old "you get what you pay for" adage.

Only you can choose what is right for you.

You CAN do mods without modifying your tune. I've never heard of an engine blowing up or burning holes in the pistons from this.

Would I? HELL no. Won't run "right"... way too hot, pinging, etc...

Dealer flash? I did that once. Once.

NEVER again. Waste of money. Period.

Piggyback? (V&H FuelPak, etc.) Can be effective, Had one on my OL's old bike, ran good, good fuel mileage, no pop or ping.

Would I do it again? MAYBE on the OL's bike that we do AC and slipons to, and nothing else... ever.

For MY bikes, it will either be TTS or PV. I really prefer the PV2 with the handlebar mount. TTS was good to me, great tune, but I didn't like running the laptop in the tourpak while riding, hard drive and fan spinning... I almost bought a solid state laptop JUST for tuning.

I'm sure there will be others in the future that will fit for me, I'm not a fan of using my phone to tune, so the FP3 is out for ME.

The way I look at it... it's a 20 some thousand dollar bike, $500 on a tuner really isn't THAT much to spend.... and REALLY NOT the place to cheap out.

My 2 cents.
I own two different electronic tuners for my Mustang and Z06. By the time you buy the tuner and then the software to connect the electronics to you will be paying $500. So that price for bike tuners is not out of line with the automotive world.