Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which fuel management system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which fuel management system?

I am looking for a fuel management system. I have searched and found different ones on the forums, but I have not really seen a comparison between the different systems. My bike is an 03 FLHTCI, Stage 1 air filter and download, V&H slash cuts, and stock headers. I do not plan to do any performance upgrades any time soon, as I am still paying to put a kid through school. I may put in a cam and true duals later down the road, but that may be several years away. The bike runs good as it is, the only thing is a little decel pop, and that it only gets 38-40 mpg. I would think that with only these performance upgrades, I would do better than that. I do a fair amount of touring given my seasonal weather and vacation time from work. I guess what I am looking for is the most power, while getting the best mileage. Can a fuel management system do that for me, or am I wasting my money? My time on the bike is split 80/20 single vs. 2 up if that matters. So far, I like the PCIII I see from Fuel Moto. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master
Default RE: Which fuel management system?

Everyone here is going to have there preferences I like the Thundermax w/auto tune was well worth the money for me.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I forgot to mention that price was a consideration here as well. I saw the prices on the PCIII and the V&H Fuel Pak, but how much is the Thundermax autotune model?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

There is other things to consider dyno tuning? The T-max set up 7 or 8 hundred but no dyno tuning.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I went in circles and researchedand found alot of what you chose is going to be a personal choice only you can arrive at. I finally bought a sert online and dropped it off with the bike at the dealer(dynocenter). Didnt want to deal with it and didnt want to go to cheap and regret it either. there are other reasons i had but you get the idea

Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Forgot about the dyno part. How much does that typically cost? I guess they charge by the hour, and if so, what is the usual time involved?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Roadster73
1st Gear

I have a 03 RKC with 510 SS gear drive cams and T-Max ECM with auto tune. Performance and sound is greatly increased. When first installed T-Max I a decel pop, sounded like a gun going off. Zippers said it was the crossover drawing in cold air, remedy was true duals. Not wanting to spend $800 and losing the look of the crossover pipe I had a friend who is a welder weld a high grade metal blocking the crossover he also welded in the O2 bungs and hedid it free. Now it sounds and runseven better and absolutely no popping.

I like the T-Max also because of the ability to hook mylaptop to it and read all the sensors, great for diagnostics,you can adjust any part of the motor running you want.At $869.95 now it is a big investment but you can install yourself with no trip to Dyno ever time you make a change in the motor, saving that expense.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I am a computer tech by trade, so connecting it to a laptop to reprogram is no problem. I understand Jamie at Fuel Moto can get your mapping real close, most times a dyno run is not needed. So the question for me now is do I go the PCIII route from Fuel Moto, or get the T-Max autotuner? I think I have already ruled out the V&H fuelpak. From what I have read, it will not handle much more than what I have already done.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I just found this:

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0704_...ing/index.html

Guess I have some reading to do.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

The PClll is less money than the TMax and SERT, and more versatile than the Fuel pak. I just put a PClll on my 08 (from Fuelmoto) and am happy with it. One thing to consider, you will be richening the fuel mixture which will not help mileage. Also with the PC you can reprogram it if you do future mods. (same for the Sert and Tmax)

Quick Reply: Which fuel management system?