2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Finding neutral difficult

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 107" Vibrator
When I removed my primary cover and checked the adjustment of my clutch from the factory, I found it to be quite a bit out of adjustment from where the service said it should be. The cable adjustment was fine, but the clutch itself was far too tight. I wouldn't assume the factory did it right, hell, I had a primary bolt back out within 2 days of riding my bike home.
I opened mine when it had less than 200 miles and I found mine out of adjustment too. So that's two for two. Maybe I'll reassess my statement that it's unlikely on a new bike.

The following users liked this post:
voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

It's a really good habit to keep the bike in gear at stops. That said, I have a 2014 Heritage with 5000 miles, and it's STILL a PIA to get it into neutral-usually I have to shift out of first using my heel on the rear shift lever.

Shifting into neutral on my other bikes is butter smooth. Go figure.

voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:18 PM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Practice.....And do it like it says in the manual. Always, from first back up to neutral.
Huh? My 2018 Softail manual says you can go to neutral from first or second and doesn’t say anywhere to go from only first. That’s a good thing for me because mine is finicky and I almost always have to go from second. It’s gotten easier over time but I think that’s more from me just getting a better feel for it. In contrast, my wife’s 2019 Lowrider is easy to get into neutral from either first or second. Our bikes just have different personalities.

voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

[RANT MODE ON]
Ya know, I've been riding on the street for over 40 years now, plus a few years on dirt bikes before that, and I can't say I've ever needed to suddenly pop out of the way for some cager barelling down behind me while I'm waiting at a light. I almost always go into neutral, but also work to keep alert on all sides and prepared to act and react as needed. I've lived in both rural and urban (Boston, Phoenix, metro DC) settings.

Maybe MSF teaches you to leave the bike in gear and be prepared to move on an instant's notice. Not sure that's a totally terrible idea, but I'd say the risk of accidentally popping the clutch and unintentionally entering an intersection with cross traffic because you left it in gear is at least as great as getting rear ended while waiting for the light to change.

Leaving the bike in gear while waiting is fatiguing. It's not that good for the bike, as you're holding the clutch open on it's throwout bearing. I think the HD uses a little roller bearing setup. The BMW boxers don't even have a proper bearing - just a little ball-ended rod you need to grease. Holding that clutch in is like holding the handle on a hand grenade with the pin pulled. You may only encounter that car from behind situation once in your life, but you'd be holding that hand grenade every time if you leave it in gear. What do you think is more likely to happen?

Like so much of life, some benefits come from preparation and some come from just paying attention, keeping alert, and being prepared to act. MSF be d@mned if that's what they teach.
[RANT MODE OFF]

FWIW, all of my bikes are pretty easy to hit neutral from second when coming to a stop, but it's best to get it into neutral while still rolling at low speed to keep the trans spinning. Sometimes neutral can be hard to find and you end up hunting between first and second, but it's always hardest to do with the engine running and the bike not moving. Better to find it while you're still rolling.

And for the OP, you might want to check your trans fluid level. Too much fluid and your clutch will drag making it harder to find neutral.

[OLD CURMUDGEON MODE OFF]

Last edited by AJ88V; 06-11-2019 at 10:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AJ88V:
107" Vibrator (06-12-2019), Chambeaux (06-12-2019), Fxr3slim (06-22-2019), voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

If the light turns yellow and you lift and slow them down and they are stopped behind you, it probably makes little matter. If you know the light light to be long, it's a lot easier on the wrist and the throw out bearing will last a lot longer. Use common sense about it. You should be able to slide in neutral with no problem. It does take a bit of practice.

voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

My experience so far... When I got the bike, finding neutral was a crap shoot - often resulting in failure. Frustrating. I adjusted the clutch myself... twice. First time it may have resulted in a little improvement - my "neutral" success rate improved a noticeable amount. Second time - meh. So I dropped by the dealer and they took a crack at it. Probably slightly better. I can find neutral now on a pretty regular basis. Occasionally on the first try. Other times it will take a couple of attempts the achieve success. On a now rare occasion it will be somewhat of a battle. No matter what though... it's not what I would call easy.

Had the Nightster out last weekend. It had be a little while since I last rode it. One of the pleasures of getting reacquainted was how buttery smooth/easy shifting and finding neutral was compared to the Heritage.

voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
First, why are you going into neutral @ stoplights? What if you needed to make an evasive maneuver...?? Keep it in gear...
I see this preaching all the time, but in almost 50 years of riding I have never had to make an evasive maneuver at a stop, nor have I known anyone who has had to.

It`s more important to know what is going on behind you ahead of time when you stop.

Being in gear isn`t going to save your ***, it`s situational awareness that saves you.

OP: pop it into neutral just before the bike stops rolling, and don`t worry about the intro, most of us ignore that section of the forum anyway.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-12-2019 at 08:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Fxr3slim (06-22-2019), lightweight bob (06-12-2019), voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
OP: , and don`t worry about the intro, most of us ignore that section of the forum anyway.
Seriously? I put a lot if thought into my intro post. You didn't read it? Now I'm feeling a little offended. I'mma need a safe place for a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sierra Nate:
Dan89FLSTC (06-12-2019), voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by voornas
Hi,
I have a 2019 Softail Slim with 500 miles on it. I'm finding it next to impossible finding neutral when coming to a stoplight. Is this something that will improve with the more miles I ride?
As has been already said, maybe you just need more seat time/practice and it will become automatic to ya. Also, why do you put your bike in neutral at a stop light? What if you had to get out of somebody's way really fast and being in neutral wouldn't be very good.

voornas (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
As has been already said, maybe you just need more seat time/practice and it will become automatic to ya. Also, why do you put your bike in neutral at a stop light? What if you had to get out of somebody's way really fast and being in neutral wouldn't be very good.
Why must people ask this question every time someone mentions they choose to put the transmission into neutral at a stop light?

Maybe, just maybe... he knows what he is doing...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-12-2019 at 01:19 PM.
voornas (06-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Finding neutral difficult