dash hyper flash since LED swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 03:50 AM
havinabubble
Road Captain
Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Question dash hyper flash since LED swap

I cannot get the hyperflash on a 2019 FXBB dash to clear

I've tried so many different combinations and suggestions of the turn signal sync procedure:
  1. Turn Ignition on, but do not start the bike
  2. Turn on 4 way hazards by pressing the hazard button on the controls (not left and right turn signal buttons simultaneous like the older bikes)
  3. Turn the Ignition off letting hazards run
  4. IF the bike has security they will flash 5 or 6 times and then pause. This is normal. They will go back to flashing normal hazard mode.
  5. Let hazards run 1-2 minutes (have tried 30secs, 3mins, 10mins...even left running with ignition on!)
  6. Turn Ignition back on.
  7. Turn off hazards.
  8. Turn Ignition off and then back on.

Check function of both turn signals. AND IT'S STILL BL@@@Y HYPER FLASHING ON THE DASH!

HEINZ turn signals up front, KODLIN at the rear...all signals flash at the correct speed, it's just dash

seeing the following two codes: B2141h, B2146h
have cleared and as soon as you touch the signals or the hazard they return

Anyone got any new suggestions on how to get the hyper flash to play ball?

..TIA

Old 04-05-2023, 06:05 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I have 3 wire kodlins in the front, 4 wire in the back with bcm flashed for a dedicated stop light.
Elypse and Neowise. I forget which is which.
NO hyperflash. Check the Heinz.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:40 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,694 Likes on 590 Posts

B2141 and B2146 are both Left front turn signal output open and Right front turn signal open respectively. So it would seem you have a prob with the front signal wiring somehow. I'd further say you're getting hyper flashing because the bike is telling you that there is a problem with the indicators.

Until you address this, you are probably pissing into the wind trying to deal with the hyper flash.

Rather than chasing your own tail, I'd strip the front sigs out completely and redo them. Test them laying loose just connected to the harness.

And then check, were the indicators wired through the bars? Did you splice the new indicators into the original signal wires? Check for continuity, Any other rerouting of the wiring? Connections good where they join the main loom?

​​​​​As a small crumb of comfort, when I put Heinz on the Standard, the idiot light hyper flashed, but turning on the 4 ways for 30 secs did the job. So there's that

The following users liked this post:
havinabubble (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Did you use 3 wire or 2 wire fronts?

Old 04-06-2023, 08:28 AM
havinabubble
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Phil13
And then check, were the indicators wired through the bars? Did you splice the new indicators into the original signal wires? Check for continuity, Any other rerouting of the wiring? Connections good where they join the main loom?
​​​​​As a small crumb of comfort, when I put Heinz on the Standard, the idiot light hyper flashed, but turning on the 4 ways for 30 secs did the job. So there's that
no bars were harmed during the installation of these LEDs I literally cut the original signal wires and soldered to them (all outside the bars/switchgear)

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
Did you use 3 wire or 2 wire fronts?
off the top of my head I think it was 2 to 2, but will need to go out in the garage and check the old signals that were removed. There certainly wasn't any wires left over, I remember that much.

everything flashes fine externally, it's just the dash light that wants to be hyper.

Ordinarly a few mins of 4 way flashing and the BCM calms down (not my first LED rodeo), but not on this bike

Old 04-06-2023, 08:35 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,424 Posts

There is other posts on here with the same results. The LED learn feature of the BCM is run and the indicators themselves flash correctly but the repeaters on the dash don't.

The repeaters are a separate circuit to the indicators and each indicator has its own power from the BCM. There has to be something wrong in the way the BCM is programmed and it is not working correctly, IMO.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:10 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,610 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Have you done the sync setup yet?
You turn the Hazards on for 10 seconds, turn the bike off and let it sit for iirc 60 seconds, and then you turn the ignition back on.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:12 AM
havinabubble
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Have you done the sync setup yet?
You turn the Hazards on for 10 seconds, turn the bike off and let it sit for iirc 60 seconds, and then you turn the ignition back on.
yep, see my original post. I've tried all manner of variations of this process too,
it just doesn't want to play ball. Never had this much trouble with any other bike I've fitted LEDs on.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:32 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,610 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally Posted by havinabubble
yep, see my original post. I've tried all manner of variations of this process too,
it just doesn't want to play ball. Never had this much trouble with any other bike I've fitted LEDs on.
****, my bad.
I had to sync my lights when I installed the custom dynamics Magic Strobes, but not when I installed the LED inserts.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:46 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 319 Likes on 219 Posts

replace the incandescent bulbs and see if they clear, they are historic since the"h" at he end.

it may simply be one set not having enough of a resistance and it sees the difference.

you may have to match the set. i have the Ciro front and rear with no issues...

NOW, read this closely...my run/stop switch likes to bounce into a mid state and throws a dash light. i can rock it back to run, and it goes off...BUT, if i do a MIL check, the dash brings up the very first HISTORC code from the initial install of my LED's. you may have an an issue throwing a MIL and the BCM correlation just continues to show the old codes. check the connections, retry the stockers, and maybe swap to a like set matching both ends.

Quick Reply: dash hyper flash since LED swap