Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage II installed, but having problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stage II installed, but having problems

I got my bike back today with the Boom Stage II system installed. The system sounds great, but I'm wondering if I may have a problem. While riding home, the front speakers cut out for a moment. I had the stereo at full volume and the sound only stopped for a second. Went for another ride this evening and the same thing happened several times. It's hard to tell exactly, but I'm thinking the speakers may have started clipping when the sound quit. While playing with the unit one last time in the garage, the rear speakers cut out for a second while playing at max volume.

I would think Harley would have programmed the HU and amps so that they would never run above their max potential. With the original Boom speakers and amp, I could run the system at full volume without issue. It always sounded better 3-4 bars below max, but it could play at max non-stop.

So what are your thoughts audio guru's? Do I have a problem, or are the amps cutting out to save the speakers? There aren't any gain adjustments since everything is digital and programmed by Harley. If the system is working as designed, I'm a bit disappointed in Harley's programming.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:34 PM
MHAMMER396
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boom audio is no good. my factory cvo glide stereo same problem. amps get hot. if you turn your bass and treble down to half should fix the issue. sound quality is now lost. good luck.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
I got my bike back today with the Boom Stage II system installed. The system sounds great, but I'm wondering if I may have a problem. While riding home, the front speakers cut out for a moment. I had the stereo at full volume and the sound only stopped for a second. Went for another ride this evening and the same thing happened several times. It's hard to tell exactly, but I'm thinking the speakers may have started clipping when the sound quit. While playing with the unit one last time in the garage, the rear speakers cut out for a second while playing at max volume.

I would think Harley would have programmed the HU and amps so that they would never run above their max potential. With the original Boom speakers and amp, I could run the system at full volume without issue. It always sounded better 3-4 bars below max, but it could play at max non-stop.

So what are your thoughts audio guru's? Do I have a problem, or are the amps cutting out to save the speakers? There aren't any gain adjustments since everything is digital and programmed by Harley. If the system is working as designed, I'm a bit disappointed in Harley's programming.
What you are experiencing right now is stage 1.

Stage II is when you go back to the dealer and they tell you they can't fix it and it "should be working right" Stage III is really going to **** you off. My ole' man has been complaining about his boom system doing the same thing for the last two years and Harley dealer giving him the run around. I finally ripped it out for him yesterday and going back in with a new Biketronics system. I got the harness and the amp if any body wants it. The speakers are fried.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Gannicus, I do believe he was warned.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:50 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Gannicus, I do believe he was warned.

Fair enough :-) In my defense, all of you guys who were bashing the new system hadn't heard it yet. If I had read that they system was crap (by those who had heard it), I would have gone another route. It probably wasn't too smart of me to focus in on the Stage II so early in my research though.

Another member who isn't having the issue I am said it was as good as his previous Arc amp and Focal speaker setup. I'd say Boom has come a long way from where you guys were seeing it from.

I definitely took a chance....we will see how it turns out soon enough. Wish me luck!

Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Dgreen it's all in fun bud. I do hope they are able to help you straighten it out because I'm sure it wasn't cheap and you own it now.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Fair enough :-) In my defense, all of you guys who were bashing the new system hadn't heard it yet. If I had read that they system was crap (by those who had heard it), I would have gone another route. It probably wasn't too smart of me to focus in on the Stage II so early in my research though.

Another member who isn't having the issue I am said it was as good as his previous Arc amp and Focal speaker setup. I'd say Boom has come a long way from where you guys were seeing it from.

I definitely took a chance....we will see how it turns out soon enough. Wish me luck!
All good dgreen. We live and learn. What we try to do here on the audio forum is get real time experience from guys who have been where you are at. And if you ask any guy here who has had the BOOM system. (including myself) It did not end well. We were just trying to give you a heads up before you spent your hard earned money on something that you were not going to be satisfied with. Now granted the Stage II is probably better than the stage 1 version. But after they failed miserably with the first version. Stage II is going to be a tough sell. Good luck man! I hope they correct your issue. But I wouldn't hang my hat on it!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to hear your having issues, hope you get it worked out.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM
timurray2000
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough :-) In my defense, all of you guys who were bashing the new system hadn't heard it yet.
That's the problem I was having. A lot of people wanted to bash it but these people hadn't heard the system. It's pretty screwed up that it takes an HD dealer hours and hours on the phone to get a stereo system installed.

Glad to see you took a shot at it. Keep us posted on how you like it.

I still haven't done anything. The more I look the more I see trying to piece-meal it together myself...just haven't taken the leap. It sure would be easy to just drop it at the dealer and pick it up a few days later with a Stage II upgrade from stock.

Tim

Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Not bashing the boom system guys. But if you deal with audio every day like I do and many others on here. All you have to know is the specs on the amp and the speakers And that will pretty much tell you how it's going to sound. Not 100% but pretty dam close.

Quick Reply: Stage II installed, but having problems