Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts
Default First audio upgrade

Hi all
Lurked and read much of this forum. Learned a lot from people on here who kindly share their knowledge which is what these forums are all about, so thank you.

A couple of questions, taking into account I've never done any audio upgrade on my (2013) RoadGlide or even had the fairing off.

1. Can the factory hk stereo plug directly into an amplifier and via what connection type? I'm only asking as I see that many people doing this first have pre-outs installed by iron cross audio. I don't live in the USA so dont have the luxury of having iron cross audio upgrading my radio.

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, what are the cons of doing this? Is it mainly sound quality? Initially I was going to replace the hk head unit but thinking of keeping it as its solid, reliable, waterproof, easily seen etc. No Bluetooth or proper ipod connection (and the aux port is crap) but I don't mind playing cds with lots of MP3 tracks playing on shuffle.

3. I understand why avc is bad when running an amplifier but it's also a handy feature I like. Should avc be turned off altogether or simply turned down to minimum level?

Thanks all. Bike is a 2013 FLTRX. I've bought a bt2180 and 602 moto speakers. Also bought a bt retro install kit which I may or may not use.
My stereo sound is not for car parks but only important when riding, particularly at around 120kmh. I want a simple upgrade that provides a loud, deep sound. I don't expect great sound quality at 120kmh on a motorcycle.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Arseclown
Hi all
Lurked and read much of this forum. Learned a lot from people on here who kindly share their knowledge which is what these forums are all about, so thank you.

A couple of questions, taking into account I've never done any audio upgrade on my (2013) RoadGlide or even had the fairing off.

1. Can the factory hk stereo plug directly into an amplifier and via what connection type? I'm only asking as I see that many people doing this first have pre-outs installed by iron cross audio. I don't live in the USA so dont have the luxury of having iron cross audio upgrading my radio.

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, what are the cons of doing this? Is it mainly sound quality? Initially I was going to replace the hk head unit but thinking of keeping it as its solid, reliable, waterproof, easily seen etc. No Bluetooth or proper ipod connection (and the aux port is crap) but I don't mind playing cds with lots of MP3 tracks playing on shuffle.

3. I understand why avc is bad when running an amplifier but it's also a handy feature I like. Should avc be turned off altogether or simply turned down to minimum level?

Thanks all. Bike is a 2013 FLTRX. I've bought a bt2180 and 602 moto speakers. Also bought a bt retro install kit which I may or may not use.
My stereo sound is not for car parks but only important when riding, particularly at around 120kmh. I want a simple upgrade that provides a loud, deep sound. I don't expect great sound quality at 120kmh on a motorcycle.

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes. You will be using what we call "High Level" Inputs. Use your speaker connections to the harness that is provided with the amp.

2. No Cons per SE. But you would have better SQ with low level inputs. (RCA's)

3. Turn the AVC down to it's lowest setting. The BT retro install kit is for an aftermarket HU. As long as you have it. you might as well use it. Switch to an aftermarket HU for better sound. A good one can be had for less than $200 bucks.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks a bunch for the advice