Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Speaker Info

Wondering if anyone here is running the Mmats speakers and how they compare to other speakers they may have ran or their buddies?

Looking at them to stay on a budget.

Part of me says just to the Pro Hertz and get it over with. I have heard them and they are loud. But I am not looking to do competitions. Just want to hear my music on the road..Rolling if ya know what I mean..

Currently, in my 2013 RGU have Soundstream PN 4.1000 amp, Herts HCX 165's up front and some old Polks in the back to fill the holes and make a little noise with the stock HU

Mamma wants to rock and she is tired of not hearing it.

Gannicus the other gurus chime in here let me know.

And yes I am open to using a different amp. But kinda want to keep the stock HU but have looked at the Sony MEX 171.

Thanks

Drifter

Old 09-22-2017, 03:29 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

The MMats do a fine job. No need to spend the dough on the Hertz. If you want it super loud so momma won't fuss go with the PRV 6MR500-NDY on that amp. They flat out rock with that amp.

The following users liked this post:
Drifter-10 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

Whatever PA speaker you put up front you're gonna need a damn good tweeter or a horn to go with it in order to get all the sound. I know there are folks here that are happily running MMats but for my ear, I can't stand them. The PRVs that Shannon mentioned smash the MMats on every level.

Drifter-10 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced

Originally Posted by cpbedor
Whatever PA speaker you put up front you're gonna need a damn good tweeter or a horn to go with it in order to get all the sound. I know there are folks here that are happily running MMats but for my ear, I can't stand them. The PRVs that Shannon mentioned smash the MMats on every level.
I have not heard of the PRV's.

Who makes em? Who carries em? And I guess more important what model and tweeters ya using? What kinda $$ are they?

Thanks

Old 09-22-2017, 04:13 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm a dealer for both PRV and MMats, in fact I'm a distributor for PRV and I wouldn't necessarily say the Ndy's smash the Mats speakers. The bike that won it all at Sound off Series was an entire MMats bike and the bike that beat one of our customers in Atlanta was an all MMats bike too. They have different sound, and really it should be complimentary of the entire bike, where they are getting installed, power available, etc. Having said all that on my personal bike I run PRV.

So two things 1. I like both better than Hertz 2. You need a horn tweeter with either. I would also STRONGLY consider getting a new headunit. If you go with horns, and will run a four channel amp MMats makes a very tame horn, but you would need to install them in two of your gauge holes.

Last edited by BaggerAudioLab; 09-22-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Drifter-10 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBates08
The MMats do a fine job. No need to spend the dough on the Hertz. If you want it super loud so momma won't fuss go with the PRV 6MR500-NDY on that amp. They flat out rock with that amp.
Thanks, I reread your comment and found the model speaker you were talking about.

Drifter

Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 PM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the MMATs in my fairing (along with MMATS horns). I have other speakers but the MMATS are loud and clear - especially for vocals and guitars riffs. They are so loud I have had to consider turning them down at 80MPH! I like them - although I have not compared them to the PRV's.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

For the benefit of the OP, u guys that are running and recommending PAs in the fairing, what else do u have installed that compliments them? Mmats or PRVs will not sound well if complimented by Polks in the TP pods rolling down the road with big momma in the #2 spot.

My ears like PRV over Mmats as well but as stand alone fairing speakers I choose neither.

Just my 2 pennies.

T

Old 09-22-2017, 05:08 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

A while back we did a Rushmore Trike for a guy with a tourpack pod set up. We demo'd him numerous combos --- coax, pa's with horns or tweeters and he ultimately decided on MMats and horns up front and AD's in the back with a Moto 600.4 and Arc PSM. Dude was thrilled with it and still swings by the shop jamming his tunes. It can be done.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Not that my limited knowledge is worth a bunch, but i did get the chance to hear a set of PRV's at the Milwaukee meet and greet. I heard them stand alone, installed in lower fairings with all of the other amps and speakers shut down. They sounded great by themselves. I was amazed!!!

Quick Reply: Speaker Info