Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Cutting Out Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Speaker Cutting Out Issue

Hey guys. I helped a buddy setup a CV B52 and a set of Kappa's on his 13 Street Glide with stock HU. I had just put this same setup on my 16 RGS and it has performed great. The only difference in what we have used is I have the Biketronics BT355 and we used the PAC SNI 15 on his. We have 8 gauge power ran to battery and ground ran to main ground post below battery.

In the garage with bike on, we set the gains and it sounds great. He hasn't rode it until today and we left my house and a mile down the road, he said the left speaker quit playing. We rode on to our destination. When we got there, he said that when he turned the volume up, the left speaker started playing and sounded good. As we rode through the day, it came in and out several times on him. He said that it would sometimes cut out but have a tiny sound to it.

My first thoughts are that we have a bad RCA cable or bad PAC but thought it was weird that if he turned up the volume, it would come back on. Any suggestions on what else this sounds like or what I should check? Thanks for the input.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Swap rca left and right and see if it follows. If not then check voltage coming out of the loc with test tone and see what it is set at ,and if that is good the head unit may be intermittent. Are the amp and speakers new or used? Follow basic steps and the problem will show itself.

The following users liked this post:
Stricnine (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Thank you Slyedog. I'll get with him and test this. The speakers are new but the amp is a refurbished amp.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Just wanted to update everyone. My buddy pulled the nose off and every time he would touch the PAC SNI 15, it would cause popping and cracking. When he grabbed both sides of the PAC it would cause it to come on and go off. We changed it out and viola, no more issues. We currently have a metra loc in but the PAC had a cleaner sound. I am going to send this one back for a replacement. Hopefully it was just a bad loc and we can put the replacement in with no issues. Thanks again for the help.