Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Scooby, Ron D 33 has had a bunch of different tweeters on his builds lately...Maybe PM him for his recommendations..maybe he'll chime in! I think he has a set of CDT tweeters in his fairing now!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Ron D 33
Road Captain

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Scooby, Ron D 33 has had a bunch of different tweeters on his builds lately...Maybe PM him for his recommendations..maybe he'll chime in! I think he has a set of CDT tweeters in his fairing now!
I've went thru a few sets. I do currently have the CDT ES-1200IS tweets in now and they sound great! I also have another new set of them that I never installed that's listed on eBay now. I currently switched to pro audio again to balance the 880s and have some new tweeters coming today. PM me if you'd like my take on which ones I've tried and my opinion.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron D 33
I've went thru a few sets. I do currently have the CDT ES-1200IS tweets in now and they sound great! I also have another new set of them that I never installed that's listed on eBay now. I currently switched to pro audio again to balance the 880s and have some new tweeters coming today. PM me if you'd like my take on which ones I've tried and my opinion.
I think many of us would benefit from your opinion.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

If you want just go ahead and CC me on that PM!

Old 07-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Ron D 33
Road Captain

Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence in this post if you already know this stuff or you are using said tweeters below. So my take on the whole tweeter breakdown is that most metal tweets are harsh to the ear. I know that's a generalization, but true in every tweeter I've heard except for the Focal TNF not being too harsh. I've tried the B3s and ST25s and both were too powerful and a bit much when I was running them without pro audio to match it. They should definitely be on there own channels to get them sounding good (my opinion) and I don't see how running them in parallel with another speaker (besides a tweeter) could ever maximize the output of the amp/speaker setup and sound as good as it could separately. The tweeters that I've found sound the best are the silk transparent material (not waterproof or resistant which sucks) and should have something over them to protect them. I like the sound of them in a grill and not in the outside of a fairing where they get lost in the wind moving (batwing). The outside is a good spot for horns though to get them out away from the face a little bit so they don't make your ears bleed. Currently I've tried the;

DD T2-good tweet for the price, mounting sucks
AT 28-good sound, mounting easy, too expensive, hard to get
B3-good tweeter for pro audio, mounting easy
ST 25-harsh, too big
Steg SQ 32-awesome tweeter, warm/not harsh, mounting sucks, expensive
Steg ST 650C-too harsh
Focal TNF-good tweeter, not harsh like most metal, mounting decent
Focal K2-great tweeter, not sure how it'll hold up in weather, mounting decent
CDT ES-1200iS-great tweeter, good sound, easy mounting, not sure how it'll hold up in weather
I've also had some JBL, RF, and a few other tweeters in there not worth going into detail over.

I've found most tweeters are harsh in the 2-3.5K range and a DSP can rid this problem area. Although most of the harshness will get drowned out if your other speakers are playing on there own channels and have enough power. The key is turning off all other speakers if possible and tuning just the tweeters to dial them in. A harsh tweeter will wear you out quickly on a ride and make listening no longer enjoyable with a headache. My next set I was looking into buying were the HAT L1s, but my switch back to pro audio changed that plan. Again, these are just my opinions and what I've experienced so far. I do have a set of horns that'll be here today that are supposed to be like the B3s at a better price point. Hopefully they are good and I'll post an update on them and a video of them with the new speakers in the fairing/lids. If the horns work like I think they will today I can send you some CDTs to give them a shot if you have crossovers already and can cover the shipping. Hope this helps someone in choosing their tweets and sorry for the length!
​​​​​​​Ronnie

The following 3 users liked this post by Ron D 33:
DennyDeck (07-21-2018), marshallb (07-20-2018), Moto Mike (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 PM
ScoobyDooHarley
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have all the necessary stuff including the crossovers. Only thing I'm waiting on is finding some tweeters. I'd give the CDT's a try. I looked them up.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Ron D 33
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ScoobyDooHarley
I have all the necessary stuff including the crossovers. Only thing I'm waiting on is finding some tweeters. I'd give the CDT's a try. I looked them up.
New tweets are a success! I have the CDTs pulled and they'll be out of here tomorrow.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:13 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

New tweets are a success! I have the CDTs pulled and they'll be out of here tomorrow.
Anxious for your review.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

OK, Ron what you got cooking now?

Old 07-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Ron D 33
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
OK, Ron what you got cooking now?
I didn't feel like paying $200 for a set of B3s again to go with my new pro audio so I picked up some Audio Legion ALT08 tweeters for $94. They are the same size and specs as the B3s and fit and finish is excellent. I'm not found of horns and only switched because I had to for balance They sound the same to me as B3s and needed crossed at 4k and also toned down in the eq. They are a tight squeeze like the B3s, but do fit in there. They are what it needed and a very nice addition for the price.

Quick Reply: Tweeters