Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impression New System

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 AM
Bootsie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Impression New System

So I finally got all the front of my new install wired up. Plugged in my iPhone for Apple Carplay, found a playlist and hit play. Too say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I thought the hard part would be the install however now I am thinking the tuning will be the tough part. Straight out of the box, no setting changed no gains moved nothing. It was gross. Here is the setup

4gauge Power and Battery ran to Stinger Dist Block in fairing. 8 gauge ground and power to 2 SS PN4.1000D Amps. 4- 6.5 DD Midrange and 2 DD Horns 2 Polk 6x9 in rear lids ( Not hooked up yet ) I put 2 of the 6.5s on 1 channel, 2 on second channel. Horns are on second AMP with the 6x9's. The head unit is a Pioneer with a million tuning options. Does this sound like the right hook up

Is there a Tuning for Dummies Book somewhere? haha

Old 07-24-2018, 07:30 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

So.....you are running the 6.5's in parallel???? If so....why???

Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM
Bootsie
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBates08
So.....you are running the 6.5's in parallel???? If so....why???
This is exactly why I am lost. Someone told me to run them on different channels. Should they all be wired into same channel? I thought that would mess with the OHMS? UGH

i need a jedimaster

Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

How are the gains set? By ear or with a meter?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Bootsie
Advanced

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
How are the gains set? By ear or with a meter?
Well I was just playing with them. I wasnt really doing a serious tuning session YET - My meter was broken will grab one after work. Tuning and wiring seems to be one of those things, just when you think you get it,then you dont

I am starting to think I didnt wire it up right either. What is throwing me off is there is 2 inputs to the AMP from Headunit, but its a 4 channel amp. My head is spinning. LOL! Now that I am thinking about it, I am guessing I want to wire all 6.5s to be on Channels 1/2 and that would be 1 output on the amp?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Bootsie
Advanced

There is companies around that will charge to tune your system. But I love to learn and think I can get it pretty close to perfect with this forum and members.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Ok, you are running 2 4ch amps and you only have 4 outputs from the HU. 2 of those are front-right and left. The other 2 are rear-right and left. Your going to need Y splitters to get signal to all 4 inputs on each amp. ALL speakers should be wired to their own channel.
The way you're describing your setup you're running them in parallel on channels 1&2. Why would you do that when you have 4 channels to wire them to. Put the horns on their own channel as well as the 6x9's.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Bootsie
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBates08
Ok, you are running 2 4ch amps and you only have 4 outputs from the HU. 2 of those are front-right and left. The other 2 are rear-right and left. Your going to need Y splitters to get signal to all 4 inputs on each amp. ALL speakers should be wired to their own channel.
The way you're describing your setup you're running them in parallel on channels 1&2. Why would you do that when you have 4 channels to wire them to. Put the horns on their own channel as well as the 6x9's.
Actually I have 2 4 Channel Amps and 3 outputs from the Headunit. I have a couple splitters. On Each AMP there is 4 inputs. So on the AMP with the 6.5s I would put splitters on input 1/2 that would give me 4 inputs. Then I connect my cables from the headunit to these splitters right?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:24 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bootsie
Actually I have 2 4 Channel Amps and 3 outputs from the Headunit. I have a couple splitters. On Each AMP there is 4 inputs. So on the AMP with the 6.5s I would put splitters on input 1/2 that would give me 4 inputs. Then I connect my cables from the headunit to these splitters right?
I didn't mention the 3rd output from the HU because it is of no use to you. It's for subs. You need 2 RCA's and 4 Y splitters. The RCA's plug directly to the HU and Y splitters on the ends of the RCA. Make sure to keep track of reds and whites and plug into the amp accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
Bootsie (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

your radio has 6 outputs.
Front Left and Front right (that's 2)
Rear Left and Rear Right (that's 2)
Subwoofer Left and Subwoofer right (that's 2 more)

Your amps have four inputs
Chananel 1 (Left)
Channel 2 (right)
Channel 3 (left)
Channel 4 (right)

So you need to get a splitter from your radio so that you have four outputs coming from that Front L/R RCA. Do the same with the rear outputs of your radio to the other amp.

Wire EACH speaker to it's one positive/negative on the amp.

Gain on 6.5 set at 11 o'clock, set it to HPF and turn the freq dial to around 100hz
Gain for the horns at 10 o'clock no need to adjust HPF
Gain for 6X9 at 12 oclock, set it to HPF and turn dial to around 70hz.

Turn your volume up until it distorts, then back your volume down an notch. That's your max volume.

The following users liked this post:
Bootsie (07-24-2018)

Quick Reply: First Impression New System