Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my speakers blown?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 06:55 PM
SoCal Harley
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are my speakers blown?

I installed the Hogtunes tweeter pod on my SG when I first bought it in 2011. The sound has been great. But lately the sound has been getting worse. I sometimes hear just the music and the singing is barley audible. Or sometimes it’s just loud cracked music.
Not sure if my pod or my stock speakers are blown or no good. Any way I can check to see which speakers it is? I am going to upgrade the stock speakers and install the Bluetooth in the air temp gauge very soon. Just wondering if I should get a new pod too while I have the fairing off.
If anyone has any info on better speakers for the fairing I would appreciate that too.
Thanks.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts

I'd disconnect the tweeters, and listen to the system just to separate / troubleshoot the system.
This is going to sound crazy, but if you pull your fairing off, the rear of your speakers should be exposed. you can GENTLY push on the cones and feel if they "scrape" at all, that is a rough way to feel if the coils have burnt / de-laminated.

If you want to try an ohm meter, you can, but it depends on what speakers you're running. Aftermarket are -usually- 4 or 8 ohm. I think the stock HD are 2 ohm. I think they have a plug to disconnect.

Maybe someone else can chime in too.
My setup is with the Hawg Wired 5.25" to 6.5" speaker adapters. The speakers blew [DX..?] so I tried Infinity Kappas as they were well regarded on this forum. They work pretty great. Funny thin, the ones I have has a little on/off push button to adjust the high frequency cutoffs. I could look for the manual, but it kept me from installing the speaker grills so I could use this feature. Just be careful when washing...

I had good luck with Hawg Wired's amplifier, but some say it's not that great. It's what I had, so it's all I know. I've heard good reports about Biketronics, but then others have said stay away...

I also have an Aquatic AV. It had to go back for warrantee-d work, but they fixed it. I have to install it once I get some time in the garage.

Good Luck

H

Old 11-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS

If you want to try an ohm meter, you can, but it depends on what speakers you're running. Aftermarket are -usually- 4 or 8 ohm. I think the stock HD are 2 ohm. I think they have a plug to disconnect.

H
This won't work, speakers are measured by impedance not resistance which is what an ohmmeter measures. A 2, 4 or 8 ohm speaker is an impedance measurement made at 1 kHz, it is usually a totally higher or lower number anywhere else in the audio spectrum.