Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 FLHT head unit and install kit recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,152 Likes on 995 Posts
Default 02 FLHT head unit and install kit recommendations.

Hi guys, over the winter of 2017-2018 I did some engine work on my bike. Since I knew I wanted upgraded audio, and since I knew I would have tank (and other parts) off, I decided that would be perfect time to "start" audio. Budget was kind of tight, and there were some constraints I had to stay within. Namely keeping the factory head unit because of the cb/intercom function. This was a temporary situation and I said as much in the thread I made about 1.5 years ago looking for advice.

I am no longer under the constraint of needing to keep the factory head unit. This community was a great asset the first time around, and I am hoping I can lean on you this time around for upgrading the head unit.

Some must haves for a new head unit:

blue tooth compatible.

Built in EQ (maybe? dsp instead)

retain use of hand controls

clean/clear/crisp

must fit existing fairing.

Nice to have:

cd/mp3

built in hard drive

I don't spend a ton of time in the audio section, but I do pop in ever couple weeks to see what people are suggesting.

For the head units, I've seen the Sony mentioned often, a kenwood, and occasionally the auquatics (sp?) there was also an alpine that had interest for a second, but I do not know if it has been "put through the test".

For hand vontrols and install, I had the scosche kit down, but when I followed the link they are sold out. I know there is a metra install kit that has been talked about too. As well as a scosche kit with the bubble guard, but my Amazon-Fu is lacking, and I have not found that kit. I did find the metra install kit, and a biketronics bubble guard.

The following is a quote from my first post detailing what I went with.

Originally Posted by Just Mike
Think this is the route I will go. I talked to a buddy who has outgrown his lids, so I think I can trade some of my junk, for his junk and basically get the lids for free. Pioneer pro in lids, mm652 up front. SS 1000 for power, line levelers and trim rings.....

Thanks again

So I am looking looking to upgrade the head unit now, and have the Sony

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEXGS820BT-Hi-Power-Variable-Extrabass/dp/B075NTPTLH. Link

or the Alpine

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-HD149BT-Single-Din-Bluetooth-SiriusXM/dp/B00CKYH9Q2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Alpine+CDE-HD149BT&qid=1550834614&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Link Link

Tee'd up, just don't know what the consensus is which is the better unit.

The alpine has a bluetooth interface that is that is supposed to be almost like a dsp, which brings me to my next question. Do I need a dsp?

currently I have just the bag

lids and fairing speakers. I do have tour pack pods, and can get the lower fairings with speakers. Will I gain significant increase in sound quality in the 4 speaker set up with a dsp over an EQ, or should I wait until I add the other 4 speakers before getting the dsp?

if dsp now, which one? I've seen good things about the dsr1, but setup and interface seem like they confuse some people, and are not user friendly. Then I have seen the Dayton dsp, seems user friendly, and gets good reviews, but it is huge. I would like to keep everything in the fairing with just the 4 speaker set up. When I add another amp for other speakers I don't care where the dsp is located. I have seen entire sets of enclyvlopia Britainicas that are smaller than my factory head unit, so I should gain some room in the fairing once that is replaced.

Should I go with the alpine and it's Bluetooth dsp-like tuning, or go with the Sony and dsp (either now or later)

for hsnd conttols should I go metra and biketronics bubble

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-9613-1998-2013-Davidson-Handlebar/dp/B079Q6VJ4Q/ref=asc_df_B079Q6VJ4Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311990496852&hvpos=1o1&hvne tw=g&hvrand=6102052536415855269&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015306& hvtargid=pla-570136458239&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Biketronics-Splash-Cover-Retro-Radio/dp/B0031BQRVG

or should I source the scorshe?

does anyone know about, or have a link to the unit with built in guard?

also, is there anything else I need to complete the swap out. Not interested in FM or Sirius radio.

I am slso up for other, better suggestions/options.

I want everything I need before I start. I don't like being without bike Amy longer than needed, so I want to be able to open it up and be done in an afternoon, and not have to order a piece I might have missed.

Thanks.

Last edited by Just Mike; 04-28-2019 at 11:45 AM.