Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another newb help me with audio post.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts
Default Another newb help me with audio post.

First off, I have read all the stickies, and comprehend what is being said, as I read it, but then in practical application (I start looking to buy stuffs) I either mis remember, over think, don’t recall seeing, or just plain don’t understand some things. Like matching ohms with HU to speakers, and achieving this in series or parallel if needed, and the effects on wattage, but then I see amps with variable outputs and I am like a deer in headlights. Does the HU determine ohms, or are there magic fairies in the amp that decide this based on speaker resistence?

i have used the search function, and have found similar posts, posts that have tiny morsels relating to what I am trying to do, and posts that are close, but the info may be outdated.

**what I am trying to accomplish**
I picked up my first Bagger over the summer. An unmolested 2002 FLHT with around 15k Miles. I would like to “make the system louder”

i have other projects for the winter that take priority over the audio. Namely switching to hydraulic cam chain tensioner, stage 1, and a new touring seat for the missus.

I want to to retain the functionality of the factory HU. CB, intercom, weather, hand controls. Do not care about AM/FM. I have a blue tooth adapter that I use on the aux to play tunes from my phone.

I completely realize that the ultimate sound quality will be hindered by using the factory HU. I am all good with that for next summer. I don’t have the funds to go ***** deep this winter, with the other stuff that needs to happen. Next winter I can devote to changing everything out.

I would like to keep the cost for everything below $500. I would like an amp, 2 fairing speakers, and to bag lid speakers.

The amp will need to be a hi level input, as I do not have RC out on HU. The fairing speakers would ideally be the same size as stock, so I don’t have any bulbous protrusions on the fairing. The lid speakers I was looking at were 6x9. I would need to buy the lids also in the $500 price.

I know enough to know I don’t know enough to make an informed decision. I have looked at amps, speakers, and lids, but when I try to put it all together I start second guessing myself.

Can anybody offer any any recommendations on a complete set up that meets the above requirements?

thanks in advance, I’m sure you guys have answered a million questions like this and are probably tired of them.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 506 Likes on 408 Posts

My suggestion:
Skip the lids until you can save up some more $$$. The majority of your sound comes from the front speakers. Put your money there! This way you can put quality up front without sacrificing by getting lids, for now.

You can always go with the a Sound Stream PN4.1000D amp. This way you will already have 2 channels for lids later. You'll need to go with 6.5's up front. They won't protrude out. You can go with DD AW's and some AT tweets. VERY good quality and sound from that setup. If those are too much, maybe some AD designs.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:15 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Seriously i would save funds and re visit forum when ready there will be so much used items that are today's best.some might say do fairing only for now then lids latter just don't think that will be overall best outcome for you.When ready pull trigger on hole deal at once with well matched components.2cts
Waiting sucks others will have plan for you.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

LOL! Good suggestions by FB and CS!! No magic fairies and pixie dust bro!! All technical data, science and art. Your resistance (ohms) to your speakers will be determined by your external amp. The HU becomes a moot point when using an external amp. The amp needs to be 2 or 4 ohm compatible. In other words it can run both 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers. The SS that shocker recommended on a budget is excellent if you can find one. ( I might just have one on the shelf) lol You don't want the fairing speakers to be the same size as stock!! The stock speakers are 5.25 speakers. You want 6.5 speakers. For the cost of some $16 adapter rings it's doable all day long with no protrusions. On a budget. I'd go with that amp and the Polk MM652 speakers. You will need SNI-35 line drivers to hook up your amp to the stock HU. 8 gauge power and ground with a 50 amp inline fuse and 16 gauge speaker wire.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gannicus
LOL! Good suggestions by FB and CS!! No magic fairies and pixie dust bro!! All technical data, science and art. Your resistance (ohms) to your speakers will be determined by your external amp. The HU becomes a moot point when using an external amp. The amp needs to be 2 or 4 ohm compatible. In other words it can run both 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers. The SS that shocker recommended on a budget is excellent if you can find one. ( I might just have one on the shelf) lol You don't want the fairing speakers to be the same size as stock!! The stock speakers are 5.25 speakers. You want 6.5 speakers. For the cost of some $16 adapter rings it's doable all day long with no protrusions. On a budget. I'd go with that amp and the Polk MM652 speakers. You will need SNI-35 line drivers to hook up your amp to the stock HU. 8 gauge power and ground with a 50 amp inline fuse and 16 gauge speaker wire.
There you go! And if Gan doesn't have a SS on his shelf, I might have one available soon......

Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by cshocker
My suggestion:
Skip the lids until you can save up some more $$$. The majority of your sound comes from the front speakers. Put your money there! This way you can put quality up front without sacrificing by getting lids, for now.

You can always go with the a Sound Stream PN4.1000D amp. This way you will already have 2 channels for lids later. You'll need to go with 6.5's up front. They won't protrude out. You can go with DD AW's and some AT tweets. VERY good quality and sound from that setup. If those are too much, maybe some AD designs.
i found the some old ads on eBay for the DD aw 6.5, but nothing current. Looks like the nearest brick and mortar is about an hour from me. Do you know of another online retailer? I am not opposed to spending more on the front speakers if they are “future proof” so to speak. That is, if I can use them for next winters project, I will get them now. If there is likely to be better options at same price point next year, I can just go with the polks Gannicus suggests. The reason for getting the lids, is currently the sound is Omni directional and one dimensional. If going with the better 6.5s gives a warmer, richer more ambient sound, I am fine holding off until next winter for lids. Right now I have no bass, very little midrange and lots of “tinny” highs.

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Seriously i would save funds and re visit forum when ready there will be so much used items that are today's best.some might say do fairing only for now then lids latter just don't think that will be overall best outcome for you.When ready pull trigger on hole deal at once with well matched components.2cts
Waiting sucks others will have plan for you.
while I agree, and often offer the same “do it once, do it right, buy the best you can afford” advice, my rationalization is this. I like having tunes, I usually just used headphones up until I got the Bagger, so I am willing to spend a little bit of money, to be able to ride with tunes with DECENT sound quality for next year. My brother also has a bagger, so anything I upgrade next year will just be gifted to him. It’s a win/win, or at the very least a break even for me.

I really appreciate the advice advice and suggestions. In my original post I meant to put the components I was looking at, but got side tracked.

I found the SS amp at Amazon, thought it was only 520 Watts 4 ways. For a few bucks more the 1000w is a no brainer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VH40878/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508201952&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pn4.1000d&dpPl=1&dpID=418DwW02ilL&ref=plSrch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VH40878/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508201952&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pn4.1000d&dpPl=1&dpID=418DwW02ilL&ref=plSrch

I was originally going to go with focals for front fairing and lower fairings, but have since taken the powers off, and prefer the Look. Same with tour pack, I have the detachable kit, and ride “street glide” style unless I am 2 up, which is why I chose saddle bag lids over seat pods.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091RCX...m&awug=9015310

i will have to match ohms (front to back) since I am only going to run 4 speakers now instead of six.

The speakers I chose for lids were these infinity kappas

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108693...m&awug=9015310

Does it matter what ohms I go with, as long as they match? Is one preferred over the other?

again thanks for taking the time to respond and educate. Also, you guys said you may have some on the shelf, are you also retailers? And if so do you have links?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:33 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior

I really appreciate the advice advice and suggestions. In my original post I meant to put the components I was looking at, but got side tracked.

I found the SS amp at Amazon, thought it was only 520 Watts 4 ways. For a few bucks more the 1000w is a no brainer
Amazon Amazon

I was originally going to go with focals for front fairing and lower fairings, but have since taken the powers off, and prefer the Look. Same with tour pack, I have the detachable kit, and ride “street glide” style unless I am 2 up, which is why I chose saddle bag lids over seat pods.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091RCX...m&awug=9015310

i will have to match ohms (front to back) since I am only going to run 4 speakers now instead of six.

The speakers I chose for lids were these infinity kappas

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108693...m&awug=9015310

Does it matter what ohms I go with, as long as they match? Is one preferred over the other?

again thanks for taking the time to respond and educate. Also, you guys said you may have some on the shelf, are you also retailers? And if so do you have links?[/QUOTE]

For DD's and tweeters, contact Alex at alex@baggeraudiolab.com.

With that SS amp, you can mix 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers ( I had 4 ohm 6.5's and 2 ohm 8's). That amp is stable.

Focal speakers are good, but spendy. I would recommend the Polks Gan suggested if your going for that price range.

For 6x9's. there's only one option to give you what your looking for: DD VO's. YOU can get those from Alex also.

Don't look on Ebay or Amazon for DD's.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't think the DD VO 6x9s are the "only" option for the OP. How quickly we forget that the Pioneer Pro 6900s are still far more than a competent speaker, especially for the price. They also give you something the VOs do not and that's access to the high end of the musical spectrum and can STILL hold their own with volume, warmth, bass and anything else the VO can do. They both should be in the discussion is all I'm saying.

If the route you're taking is to do it once and pay for it, the AW 6.5s with the AT28 tweeters are surely the most "future proof" as you say and will give you all you're looking for and more. IF on the other hand your desire is to keep some cash in the budget, use the Polks than Gann suggested, especially having the failsafe of gifting them to your brother. This would be a good opportunity to start with a smaller budget and who knows, you love what you hear and you hang on to them and keep your wallet in tact. Maybe you get the polks in and like the majority of us, find yourself wanting more, at that point you have a better idea of what it is you're really looking for and can make a far more educated decision. Either way, we'll be here to help along the way.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Am i the only one that has not shelved the pro6900 , like Chris said very budget friendly and i waste a lot of money and have found no reason to take them out.YET
Your brother will be happy with polks spend just enough to get you bye for now.keep checking the classifieds here and if you really want the aw6.5 ill sell you set minus the crossover and tweets .

The following users liked this post:
cpbedor (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 387 Posts

At the last M&G I heard a set of the 6900 pros in SCHWINN Collectors bike and was floored at the volume,Sound and clarity with a dam good punch to them. He had the BT 2250amp pushing them and a set of BT 7.1 pros if I remember correctly.So as stated in a previous response don't count the pioneer 6900 pros out.

Quick Reply: Another newb help me with audio post.