Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:32 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New build

Hello all. I have built many car audio systems but not really ever one for a bike. I have 2017 Ultra Limited that currently has the Boom stage 1. I am thinking I will pull the trigger on some Biketronics stuff

BT4250.14 amp
BT7P1 pro with adapters in the fairings
Hertz ML1650 with extenders in the rear pods
biketronics break out harness

only thing I am wondering if the DSR1 is going to be better than the BT line levellers? Any thoughts? I am planning to add hogtunes lower pods and lids in the future probably using all hertz Mille pro speakers as well.

I ride with the tour pac off fairly often too.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

I personally am not a fan of the bt amps as they are hard to tune and just a sound that I like. They have no gain adjustments and are expensive for what you get. They have a great warranty and CS but for the $$ you can do much better. Same goes with the bt speakers. The hertz ml's are a damn good SQ mid range but require some sort of tweeter/horn to complete the setup.

For the price of the bt 4250 alone, you can get a good 4 channel amp and a 2 good set of speakers. Do some research into mmats 4110.4, stinger spx700x4 for your amp, and mmats pa602cx, the new arc motos, and the new wdx moto gen II's for speakers.

To retain fade control you will need a breakout harness as it comes with both front and rear LL. Others will chime in about a dsp but in my opinion for just 4 speakers, it is not necessary.

I personally am running the stinger amp and really like it. I don't think that anyone who does run one have regretted that purchase as I have not heard one bad review about it. Also I have not personally heard the new wdx moto gen II's or the arc's but again going by reliable sources here. I have heard those mmats pa602cx and have a set on the way to evaluate myself.

Just food for thought.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 PM
dabears1985
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

4250.14 has gain adjustments for each channel. It will come stock with a 18db HP filter crossed at around 50hz but BT will customize how you want it. I have no HP filter on mine because I am running a DSR1 with my setup. The 4250 has a ton of power and if you are looking to run speakers in parallel it will power 8 4ohm speakers in parallel and provide up to 160 watts per speaker at 2ohms. I don't know about sound quality differences but the only amps that I know of that are comparable power wise are the SD1200.4 and the MMATS 4250. I don't know about the other 2 but the 4250 will easily fit in either a RG or SG fairing.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:32 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by dabears1985
4250.14 has gain adjustments for each channel. It will come stock with a 18db HP filter crossed at around 50hz but BT will customize how you want it. I have no HP filter on mine because I am running a DSR1 with my setup. The 4250 has a ton of power and if you are looking to run speakers in parallel it will power 8 4ohm speakers in parallel and provide up to 160 watts per speaker at 2ohms. I don't know about sound quality differences but the only amps that I know of that are comparable power wise are the SD1200.4 and the MMATS 4250. I don't know about the other 2 but the 4250 will easily fit in either a RG or SG fairing.
The SD1200.4 won't fit easily in a Rushmore batwing fairing but it will fit with the JM amp tray & possibly some grinding.
I'm a huge fan of BT in general!!! I like the Hertz 1650 w tweeters in the fairing big time but they are not cheap. I don't care for the BT 7.1 aka HAT at all in the fairing.
Brother, it's an awesome time for u to be upgrading as there are tons of new product hitting the street. From Mmats to DB Motos to ARC 602HD to Euphoria. All higher performance coax thus easy damn install.
Take a lil time to identify ur budget, read some of these recent product posts regarding a few of these various new options and let the gurus know what ur ears are looking for.

T

Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 AM
BigRed7181
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailwind
The SD1200.4 won't fit easily in a Rushmore batwing fairing but it will fit with the JM amp tray & possibly some grinding.
I'm a huge fan of BT in general!!! I like the Hertz 1650 w tweeters in the fairing big time but they are not cheap. I don't care for the BT 7.1 aka HAT at all in the fairing.
Brother, it's an awesome time for u to be upgrading as there are tons of new product hitting the street. From Mmats to DB Motos to ARC 602HD to Euphoria. All higher performance coax thus easy damn install.
Take a lil time to identify ur budget, read some of these recent product posts regarding a few of these various new options and let the gurus know what ur ears are looking for.

T
The BT7P1 pro are pricey for sure at $850 a set. I have never used or heard them. I like they are not a coax. Is there any grill kits for the batwing that I could use a better speaker? Is anyone running the Pro series with that much power behind them and if so who makes something better? I have been reading lots of info on this forum and so many of these brands are completely new to me. Like I mentioned I have hertz in three vehicles and I am very impressed but they all have a sub running with them. I do have a DSR1 in my truck as well and it is a great product. I thought it would be handy to be able to lower rear gains when the tour pac is off and after I install bag lids.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:26 AM
BigRed7181
Tourer

I guess to get started I am shopping in the $2k - $2.5k Range

Old 05-18-2019, 12:46 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer

Thanks T. I did read a pile of the threads on all the others but decided to go with my original plan. I will see how the pros do with a pile of power behind them. Some of the others are hard to buy in Canada. I couldn’t even find where to purchase the Moto 602 HD on their web site. Probably an issue with using a phone. Budget wasn’t really a consideration. I don’t mind spending more to get more. I guess I will try this set up and go from there.

I still want to add lower fairing pods at some point maybe at that time I will try again to order some of these other brands and try a new set up.

Hats off to the team at Biketronics though. Excellent to deal with and that’s why I will try their equipment first.

Drank the harley kool aid and now I will be selling an amplified stage 1 setup for an Ultra. I didn’t find it to be as bad as people make it out to be but I know I can do better.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:21 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer

Got this all installed today but now there is no rear sound and the fader control stopped working. I need to get it reflashed tomorrow. Sure hope this changes how the fairing speakers sound because they sound awful right now. I don’t understand how an amp rated at 250 watts rms per channel x 4 can have a 40amp fuse either. I guess i was expecting more for the price paid but the factory harness and wiring is larger gauge and better assembled. Also for $3000 CDN I would think the kit would have came with same torx screws for the replacements in the fairing instead of the Philips that comes in the kit. I will update free the flash but my first thoughts are I should have left my Boom stage 1 alone

Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Give BT a call their customer service is top notch. I'm sure they will help you get it straight or offer another solution.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 PM
BigRed7181
Tourer

I am going to call them tomorrow. I will get the bike flashed first though. There was a four wire connector that heads to the back of the bike that was plugged in with the harness for the boom stage one. That is no longer plugged into anything. I just hope this doesn’t sound like a J&M when it’s done.

On another note. It is not possible to have 250w x 4 RMS on a 40 amp fuse. This is a bit concerning to me. A true 1000w RMS CEA compliant class d amplifier will have at least a 80 amp fuse. Watts/Volts=Amps. 1000/13.8=72.5 amps Maybe I am paranoid but my Alpine PDX F6’s have 60 amps worth of fusing and the are only rated 150w X 4.

Quick Reply: New build